babychic

Cloth Nappy Support Thread

weezypops
Site Guru

Cloth Nappy Support Thread

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Thinking of making the transition from disposable nappies to cloth, or 'real' nappies? Use this thread for any questions you have, or just for general cloth nappying chat.

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Okay, first question...

we use disposables with Felix, who is nine months but I've thought about using cloth nappies on and off.

Kester saw an advert for a service run buy Southend Council where they give you a trial run of their nappy washing service and we thought we'd give it a go. K called and the woman who answered said that it wasn't worth trying to transition a nine month old to cloth nappies as he'd get too annoyed being wet.

Do you think this would be the case, or does anyone have any experience of starting an older baby on cloth nappies?

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Thats appaling and absolute rubbish!! Todays cloth nappies have no need for your child to ever feel wet. A simple fleece liner on a terry nappy will transfer all the dampness away and most of the ready made all in one nappies have a built in stay dry layer anyway. If the company knew she was giving out such advice they would be appaled as she is loosing them business.

If you want my opinion though using a service like this gives you no choice in the nappies you use as you get what your given. I would recommend meeting with a cloth nappy advisor and using a library service to borrow a bundle of different sorts so you can see which ones suit you best.

As for the 9 month thing. My Tom was in cloth for the first three months of his life and then needed to go into disposables as he had an ulcerated strawberry mark on his nappy area. We waited months for it to heal, but at 10 months he went back into cloth and I havn't looked back and there are no complaints from Tom either.

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#4 Unread post by Lynsey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:18 am

I use cloth nappies on my DS and love it. I simply couldn't afford to use disposables! I know a few people who have switched to cloth a later on and they have been very pleased that they did.
Check out www.thenappylady.co.uk for loads of great info.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by artyfartymack » Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Time to show some of you how much fun cloth can be!!

I have quite a few funky bums, but as Tom has bad exzema on his legs and scratches he cant show them off. I invested in some babylegs from Halo Baby and now he can!!! Here is his first dayof funky bums http://mackaness.blogspot.com/

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by artyfartymack » Tue May 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Heres a great article on the news today

http://www.fivetvonline.tv/news.php?news=458

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am

aww, the pics are lovely!

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:03 pm

I've just realised I never showed off Toms 1st Birthday nappy! He loves frogs so I had a nappy custom made for him by weenotions.

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#9 Unread post by Lynsey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:26 am

Artyfarty, I don't know anyone who has used the Smart nappy, I love to hear what you've been told.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by artyfartymack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:04 pm

www.thanappysite.co.uk has reviews on all of them. I think Boots smart nappy and mothercare smart nappy are the same.

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#11 Unread post by Lynsey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 pm

artyfartymack wrote:www.thanappysite.co.uk has reviews on all of them. I think Boots smart nappy and mothercare smart nappy are the same.
Sorry, pregnancy brain! I meant mothercare. thanks for this

weezypops
Site Guru

#12 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:37 pm

We'd like to use cloth nappies for the next baby and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what we need to get started.

Also, do you wash them yourself or use a nappy washing service?

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#13 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm

ok. Firstly dont rush out and buy anything. Plenty of people do so and regret their purchase. In order to decide whats best for your baby you need to think about your lifestyle.

There are 4 types of nappy to chose from:

Terry squares & a waterproof wrap (my choice)

Pocket Nappies. (2 part) a nappy with a pocket which can be stuffed with as much or as little absorbant material as you need. You can buy boosters or just fold up terries, microfibre cloths or towels. just like a cloth disposable that fastens with velcor/applix or poppers

AIO's (All in Ones) an all in one nappy and booster (some have pop in boosters to aid drying time) just like a cloth disposable that fastens with velcro/applix or poppers

Prefolds. A prefolded square which pops into a waterproof cover. Latest ones of these are the Mothercare Smart Nappy range.

A lot of people use AIO's or pockets as they are simple to use, come in lovely funky colours and patterns and often dont require a seperate wrap (some have a waterproof layer of PUL incorporated in them so that they wont leak). Things like Tots bots which you have probably heard of are basically nappys made of terry cotton that fasten with velcro and then have a wrap over. All of these are easy to use, but take longer to dry. If you dont have access to an outside line and you dont want to use the tumble drier these may not be the best for you.

I find Terrys work best for me as they dry quickly, they are cheap and wash really well. Dont make the same mistake I did though and buy mothercare terries as they are very thin and loose their shape. Get yourself a good quality fabric edged make.

There is too much to put in one post really, i would highly recommend you either come along to a Nappuchinno event or take the opportunity to meet with a nappy advisor (my friend Jo will happily come and see you) Until you have seen the nappies for yourself you cant really decide. The other thing........dont shop buy. All of the companies that are in the shops can onlny afford to be there as there are lots of mummies who fall for the trap! Buy independant as the ranges are far more superior.

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Cloth Nappy Support Thread

#14 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am

April 2010
Well doesn’t time fly - it’s time for Real Nappy Week again, when we raise awareness of how much cheaper and better for the environment washable nappies are. Real Nappy Week runs from 26th April to 2nd May, and during that time there will be lots of events going on around the country and online - you will find information, competitions and advice on http://www.goreal.org.uk, which is also hosting an online nappuccino for those who can’t get to a real life event. Members of Essex County Council’s recycling team will also be taking to the road, so check out the dates below and come along and have a chat; we’d love to see you!

Dates for your diary

Saturday 24 April, 11am-12.30pm, nappy information stall at NCT Nearly New Sale, Mayflower High School, Stock Road, Billericay.
Entry to sale £1.50. Contact 0844 243604.

Monday 26 April, 1 0 a m - 11am, nappy information stall and talk at Little Cherubs playgroup, Plantation Hall, Heybridge, CM9 4HH.
Contact Isabella McAdam on 01621 876245.

Monday 26 April, 11.30am-1pm, Nappy Roadshow at Bentalls Shopping Centre, Heybridge, CM9 4GD. Contact Isabella McAdam
on 01621 876245.

Monday 26 April, 1.30am-4pm, nappy information stall at Saffron Walden Library, 2 King Street, Saffron Walden CB10 1ES. Contact
Sharon Heinrich on 0845 269 8521.

Tuesday 27 April, 9.30am-3.30pm, Nappy Roadshow outside BHS, Meadows Shopping Centre, Chelmsford CM2 6FD. Contact Essex
County Council on 01245 437318.

Tuesday 27 April, 10.30am-1pm, nappy information stall at Tumbledowns Soft Play, Shire Hall, Saffron Walden CB11 3AQ. Contact Hannah Henley on 01799 530272.

Wednesday 28 April, 9am-4pm, Nappy and Composting Roadshow at George Yard, Braintree CM7 1RB. Contact Sarah Cross on
01376 332374.

Wednesday 28 April, 10.30am-1pm, nappy information stall at Starbucks, Market Hill, Saffron Walden CB10 1HZ. Contact Sharon Heinrich on 0845 269 8521.

Thursday 29 April, 9 . 3 0 - 11.30am, nappy information stall at Baby Clinic, Saffon Walden Community Hospital, Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden CM11 3HY. Contact Hannah Henley on 01799 530272.

Thursday 29 April, 10am-4pm, Nappy Roadshow in Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon SS14 1AE. Contact James Hendry on
01268 294876.

Thursday 29 April, 11am-3pm, nappy information stall at Mothercare, Meadows Shopping Centre, 42/48 Springfield Road,
Chelmsford CM2 6JX. Contact 01245 267480.

Friday 30 A p r i l, 10am-3pm, Nappy and Composting Roadshow, Grove Centre, Witham CM8 2YT. Contact Sarah Cross 01376 332374.

Saturday 1 May, 10.30am-1pm, Nappy Roadshow, Market Square/Kings Street, Saffron Walden CB10 1ES. Contact Sharon Heinrich on
0845 269 8521.

Tuesday 4 May, 10.30am-1pm, Nappuccino at The Well Cafe, Salvation Army Hall (in grounds of URC Church), Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden CM10 1AG. Contact Hannah on 01799 530272.

Friday 7 May, 9am-2pm, Nappy and Composting Roadshow, Weavers Court, Halstead CO9 2JN. Contact Sarah Cross on 01376 332374

Friday 14 May, 9 . 3 0 - 11.30am, Nappuccino at Summercourt Children’s Centre, Milton Hall School, Westcliff. Eleanor King 01702 213264.

Friday 14 May, 7-9pm, Pregnancy Information Evening, St John’s Hospital, Wood Street, Chelmsford. Contact Nicola Leslie 01245 513355.

http://www.essex.gov.uk/nappyevents for updates

Buy in bulk for bigger savings
One of the ways of keeping costs down when you are choosing cloth nappies is to buy in bulk, and birth-to-potty nappy kits, which contain all the nappies and wraps you need, plus perhaps a bucket and some liners, are offered by a number of companies.

Nappy kits are cheaper than buying lots of single nappies, but they are a big investment, so there are a few important points to
consider.

Try before you buy - If you are going to pay a lot of money for a nappy kit then it is worth checking that you really
like the nappy - so why not buy a single nappy first (even a secondhand one would do), to check that it's really what you want?

Number crunching - There are no standard contents for a birth to potty kit and some manufacturers are more generous than others. Ideally we would recommend 24 nappies for a newborn and 18 for an older baby, but you will find companies offering birth-to-potty kits with as few as 15 nappies, which would mean an awful lot of washing!

Every little helps - If you are starting from scratch or buying as a gift then you might want to look for a kit that includes all the little extras like a nappy bucket, disposable or washable nappy liners, mesh bag and so on.

Here are some examples of good value birth-to-potty kits we found on the internet this week:
Terries - Mothercare offers a kit containing 12 terry nappies, 6 waterproof pants, nappy pins, liners, a bucket, nappy sacks and soaking solution for £36.99. We would recommend you add in another 12 terry squares for an additional £20 to reduce washing. See reusable nappies section (under bathing) at http://www.mothercare.com.
Prefolds - a birth-to-potty kit of 24 Econobum prefolds and six adjustable wraps is on offer at just £72 from http://www.nappies-direct.com (click on Real Nappy Boutique) during Real Nappy Week only (the normal price for the kit is £90.
Fleece - Look under Special Offers at Lollipop for a set of its Micro polar fleece nappies and wraps containing 20 size 1, 20 size 2, a roll of liners and 12 wraps in four sizes for £240. Available in mint and lilac colours only. http://www.teamlollipop.co.uk.
Pocket nappies - Babykind mixes 12 multi-fit Wonderoos with six Motherease One-Size nappies, boosters, inserts and six assorted wraps for £250. See Nappy Kits at http://www.babykind.co.uk.
Two-part - Shaped nappies in either cotton, bamboo or microfibre (or a mix) are contained in Little Lamb's birth-to-potty kit, which contains a generous 40 nappies (half in size 1, half in size 2), plus 40 boosters, 40 fleecy liners, 100 disposable liners, six wraps in two sizes, a bucket and a bottle of tea tree oil, all for £300. See Nappy Kits at http://www.littlelamb.co.uk.
Multi-fit - Tots Bots Easyfit nappy (a birth-to-potty, all-in one nappy) is offered in bulk at Plushpants (20 nappies for
£265). See Nappy Multipacks at http://www.plushpants.com.
Organic - Babykind’s Beat the Credit Crunch Kit includes 16 organic cotton multi-fit Imse Vimse nappies (brushed cotton
or terry), three adjustable wraps, five boosters and 200 liners for £99. See Nappy Kits at http://www.babykind.co.uk.

Essex Cloth Nappy Network: essexnappies@tiscali.co.uk. Essex Cloth Nappy News is published on behalf of Essex County Council’s Recycling Team 01245 437318. Mention of any nappy manufacturer or retailer is for information only, and does not constitute a recommendation from Essex County Council.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Cloth Nappy Support Thread

#15 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

wow blast from the past this thread LOL!

Return to “Parenting”