babychic

5 month old rejecting milk now weaning

Sez
Baby
Baby

5 month old rejecting milk now weaning

#1 Unread post by Sez » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi All, I really need some advice/guidance. My son is 5 months old and I started weaning him 11 days ago as he was quite unsatisfied with his bottles. I was kind of hoping he would reject the food and wait until 6 months as the 'current' guidelines state, but he throws himself onto the spoon to get the food quicker so was ready.

The problem I have is now getting him to take milk is like pulling teeth. He was just having solids at lunchtime (some homemade purée with baby rice or alike) but after not taking the bottle I've now changed our routine to include solid breakfast too (baby porridge) as I was worried he's not taking enough of anything.

Our day typically is:
5.30am - 180ml formula
9.30am - fruit purée and baby porridge (3tsp of porridge when dry)
11.30am - 150ml formula
2.30pm - vegetable purée and baby rice (2tsp of rice when dry)
4.30pm - 150ml formula
7.30 - 150ml formula
N.B. he was taking 5 210ml bottle pre-solids

I'm worried he is just not taking enough and the battle to get him to take milk is going to have an adverse effect. He is just fidgeting and pushing the bottle away etc. I spend an hour putting it back in and mimicking sucking in hope he might copy. I've tried new teats on the bottles and offered him a faster flow (that just choked him). Has anyone got any ideas how to encourage him to take more or a better guide as to how much solids and particular types he would need to supplement his diet with such little formula?

Please help! I'm winging it and worried my little fella will end up suffering and lose weight (he gained 11oz in the last 3 weeks) as a result of my cluelessness!
❤️❤️ Mummy to Callum 20/3/2014 and Finley 19/2/2018 ❤️❤️

Jeanette
The Nanny

Re: 5 month old rejecting milk now weaning

#2 Unread post by Jeanette » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm surprised no one has replied to your question yet.
Weaning is a very long time ago for me, 34 + years ago.
His daily menu seems fairly adequate to me and as he's now starting on solids his milk intake will go down.
I hope someone with rather more up to date experiences will add their knowledge.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: 5 month old rejecting milk now weaning

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 pm

I only just saw this. I don't really know much about formula feeds but I do know that mine all gradually cut down on breastfeeds after weaning. He might just be enjoying the new foods too much and be less interested in formula on it's own. You could always try giving him more rice/porridge type foods that you use formula with if you really want him to have a certain amount of it. I'd probably be more inclined to offer it in a cup or something like that to see if he prefers feeding himself, or if you really think he's ready to wean, start giving him more 'proper' foods like a bit of yoghurt, cheese etc to make sure he's getting his calcium.

Return to “Parenting”