babychic

Would you move your family abroad?

weezypops
Site Guru

Would you move your family abroad?

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am

Would you move your family abroad if you or your husband/partner were offered a job in another country? Would it depend on where it was?

Kester got an email from a headhunter yesterday for a good-sounding job but it's in Prague, and we were talking about it at dinner yesterday. He doesn't think it will amount to anything, regardless of what we'd decide but it just brought up an interesting discussion. We relocated to Chicago before, as most of you know, but that was before having kids, and it does seem like a much harder choice now. On one hand it's an interesting opportunity to live somewhere else, broaden their horizons, perhaps save a bit of money etc. but on the other, I would find it hard being away from my parents as the kids are so close to them, and even things like getting back into Chalkwell would concern me.

What would you do?

(this is hypothetical btw, I strongly doubt we will be going!)

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Would you move your family abroad?

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Mike's job got moved to Singapore a few years ago and he as told to follow the job or lose the job.

I couldn't go - I need my family too much! I have only ever lived at home (commuted to uni daily) and now only live a 15 min walk from my mums and a 3 min walk to my mum/dad's family business. So for me - it is a big no! I have only lived in 3 homes and am only 15 mins walk away from them both!

However - moving for work can be so exciting and so many children who are moved actually thrive and perform better. I read so much into it and decided that everything pointed to it being a good idea and worthwhile and fantastic apart from the fact that I am a family girl!

ETA - Of course I can look back and say this but at the time I hated the idea, was upset and thought it would be rubbish!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: Would you move your family abroad?

#3 Unread post by nubs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:20 pm

If it was a great opportunity work wise, we have said it before that it would involve me not working and not relying on others for child care then we would. Yes the boys would miss my mum and dad but would gain from having other quality time, plus holidays with them. Its hard to make the right choice isn't it? My aunt moved to spain with my cousin when he was 6 and he went to the local international school, and they loved it
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Return to “Parenting”