babychic

'Playing Out'

weezypops
Site Guru

'Playing Out'

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Do your kids play out the front of your house? What are your reasons for letting them/not letting them?

Felix and Iris asked earlier if they could scoot on the path out the front of our house. We have agreed, but only between two points where we can see them, and obviously they're to stay on the path. The looks on their faces at playing outside in the street are priceless - they look like they've been given such freedom.

I do feel like this is fine and know that I was doing it at this age but I'm also very aware that there aren't really many children playing out these days, at least round here, so I assume other parents are making the decision to keep their kids in. What do you think?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: 'Playing Out'

#2 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Mine play out on the front garden and if they go out on their bikes or scooters they are allowed around the block of our houses 10 houses but they are not allowed in the road
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Yours is a quiet road isn't it Kris? From what I recall it's not a through road out the back?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 pm

No - not here but then James is only 3 and unable to talk and also unable to reason with and we live on a very busy road.

If we are expecting a visitor then I let William run down to the corner to see if he can see them coming and have done this for 2 years or so and now I would let him run round the corner to the next road as his cousins live round there. As I say tho - the road is quite busy so no not yet.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#5 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:19 pm

The front of my house is a walkway, in our old house they were only allowed out the front with us as it was a rat run x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#6 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Mine aren't allowed out the front, they can play in the front garden, but i live on a main road, its a bus route and they drive like nutters round here.

They can go out the back we have a forest/woody bit out there. They go out there unattended on understanding that they dont leave that area and come when called, we check on them every 15mins or so.
My kids aren't very street wise, Alex is the worst especially when in one of his moods he will just run out onto the roads, His idea of stranger danger baffles me aswell.

Were trying to extend our trust issues with the boys so that come the hols i don't have them all under my feet all the time.
Leanne and children xxxx

Jeanette
The Nanny

#7 Unread post by Jeanette » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Felix showed me their boundaries today on the walk home from school and I giggled to myself. 2 houses each side. That's fine. I had visions of them half way down the road. It's a good start though, gaining trust .
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:52 am

Oh yes, only where they are visible to us from the window!

Return to “Parenting”