babychic

6/7 year old mood swings

weezypops
Site Guru

6/7 year old mood swings

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Any tips for coping with 6/7 year old mood swings? I know Felix isn't the only one his age like this so I'm wondering if it's a common thing at this age but he's like a mini teenager at the moment - moany, argumentative, everything's 'annoying', storms off when he doesn't get his own way etc. But then on the flip side he is still a loving little boy who loves snuggling up and having a cuddle, so all is not lost.

We have in the past used a lot of rewards/punishments (particularly giving taking wii time away as that is what he loves doing the most), though I've been reading a lot about how that can be quite harmful for self-esteem etc. How do you manage this kind of attitude/behaviour?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: 6/7 year old mood swings

#2 Unread post by nubs » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I try my best to ignore it and have found that having time to stew on it makes Jack think especially if I don't react all the time - if he is particularly bad I will send him to his room to vent
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

withlove....x
Newborn
Newborn

#3 Unread post by withlove....x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Omg i have the same thing with my 7 year old. His like kevin from kevin and perry! Moans all day argumentative know everthing kinda mood.Honestly just today i was saying his like a teenager with hormones. So glad im not the only one starting to think he had isdues!

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Yep, sounds exactly the same!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#5 Unread post by Jeanette » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:20 pm

I think I'd just handle it the same as you do with the terrible twos. Ignore the bad and encourage the good behaviour.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 pm

It's not easy to just ignore though when you have him following you around moping and complaining, being rude etc. He's constantly telling Iris how annoying she is and being a bit mean to her, which is something I don't want to ignore. I mean, to some extent we do, obviously but I don't think ignoring it is right when it's him being horrible to other people or rude to me and Kester as he needs to be reminded it's not okay to talk to people like that. I think it's different to a toddler when they are acting out because they're frustrated and don't know how to express themselves, in which case I do think it's best not to react - he knows full well he is being unpleasant. Sayingt hat, he's not like it all the time, and in fact was really nice for the rest of the day after I wrote this, but there's a lot of it at the moment.

i've been doing a lot of the 'asked and answered' stuff which annoys him but does the trick as it closes down the complaining at that point but he'll still keep on about it later!

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Just reread this and he's not that bad really. I mean, he can be, but on reading again it sounds like he is awful all the time. Normally he is usual, sweet, strange Felix but the moodiness is becoming very annoying!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#8 Unread post by nubs » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:49 am

With the meanness I send Jack to his room as the only thing he really dislikes is being on his own I remind him that if he can't be nice then he should be in his room until he can, I usually wait until the crashing stops and then go into him and explain why I don't find it acceptable - we don't have it often mind you as he is usually pleasant - god knows what I will do with Sam as he likes being in his room
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#9 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 am

I know its different in my situation with Alex but i ignore it and praise the good, he is always argumentative but he is looking for the confrontation so i do my best to ignore it or turn it into something positive, the verbal abuse i get off of him is so soul destroying at times, i know he doesn't mean it. When he persists i just put him in his room, its tiring and hardwork but just keep being persistant which i know you are
Leanne and children xxxx

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#10 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 am

Jacks the same. He's 8 and its stillll happening the beast. Hormobes too don't help. He certainly has his moments and I no his weeknesses and wants. I have to mention the word football and he normally snaps out of it or goes to his room x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#11 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Good to know it's not just Felix!

weezypops
Site Guru

#12 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 pm