babychic

Double teeth - very worried

Have a question about tooth and mouth care? Ask Charl Chapman from Essex Dentist.
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Double teeth - very worried

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 am

Ok - so I am posting here but no idea if the dentist chap comes on.

But - this morning I noticed William's top back double teeth on both sides. He seems to have two sets of each? he has new teeth growing under and around the back doubles.

I'm really actually rather concerned :(

The dentist wasn't worried about his shark teeth at the front and we are seeing her on the 22nd December.

What should I do?

essexdentist
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Double teeth - very worried

#2 Unread post by essexdentist » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 am

Jenn wrote: But - this morning I noticed William's top back double teeth on both sides. He seems to have two sets of each? he has new teeth growing under and around the back doubles.
?
Hi, here is the dentist chap! :D
I really need to see what you looking at, because I am a little confused.
So, if he has a big double tooth coming in behind his existing baby tooth, that is normal. It is called the 6-year tooth, and as the name suggests usually comes in a around 6, but I see William is 7 which is still within the normal range for boys, who tend to be a little later than girls. (Making up for waiting in the car!) It has big double cusps which may look like 2 teeth initially, until the whole tooth emerges. Remember this is an adult-sized molar!
If the tooth is under the back baby molar, it is not usually a permanent molar, but a premolar - although it is way too early to be one of those, unless he is reaaally precocious.
There is the chance that the 6-year tooth is coming in under the furthest edge of the back baby molar, which is an early sign of crowding, making it certain he will need orthodontic treatment later.
The bottom line is, don't lose any sleep over it - things become clearer over time anyway.

Hope that helps!
Don't sweat the petty things - you won't get to pet anything!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks for replying

I must admit that I calmed down almost immediately after writing down my concerns.

LOL! Yes William does seem to be slow with his teeth - he has only lost the one (waiting for the tooth fairy inflation) and his bottom 6yr old molar were just starting to come through in August - so may be that?

We see our dentist - 3 weeks today so I will wait until then. As you say - things become clearer over time.

Thank you for replying :)

essexdentist
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by essexdentist » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm

No Sweat! If you need another opinion, just give me a shout. More parents should pay attention to their kid's teeth, like you do!
Don't sweat the petty things - you won't get to pet anything!

Return to “Ask the Dentist”