babychic

'Obesity epidemic' in pregnant mums

weezypops
Site Guru

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Health professionals are dealing with "an epidemic of obesity" among pregnant women as weight gain across the wider population continues to rise, experts said.

About half of women of childbearing age are either overweight (with a BMI of 25-29.9) or obese (with a BMI of 30 or above) and approximately 16% of women in England are obese from the start of pregnancy, according to the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice).

The organisation launched new public health guidance on Tuesday on weight management before, during and after pregnancy, in the face of growing evidence concerning female obesity and the related risks it poses for both the mother and baby.

Professor Lucilla Poston, director of maternal and foetal research at King's College London, said: "These guidelines are incredibly timely, we have an epidemic of obesity amongst our pregnant population.

"At St Thomas's recently we looked at our stats and there has been an exponential increase in obesity amongst our women attending ante-natal clinics, such that now 40% of the women are overweight or obese, and in the UK the best statistics we have suggests between 15% and 20% of pregnant women are coming into pregnancy with a BMI which is less than ideal."

She added that obese women were at increased risk of "almost every complication in the book in pregnancy".

Commenting on Nice's new guidance, Louise Silverton, deputy general secretary of the Royal College of Midwives, said: "There is a real need to address the issue of obesity, and this draft guidance shows this is particularly important for pregnant women.

"The growing volume of evidence shows that the health of a mother with obesity is further compromised by the pregnancy, also impacting the health of her unborn baby. Midwives are ideally placed to assist women in developing healthy lifestyles during pregnancy and during the postnatal period."

"As a result of the increase in obesity among pregnant women, midwives are, (on top of the continuing baby boom) dealing with more complex births. These women need to see a midwife as early as possible in their pregnancy. They need more time to spend with a midwife to help and advise them as well as involving the wider healthcare team."

Belinda Phipps, chief executive of the NCT (National Childbirth Trust), said: "Thousands of women attend NCT courses each year and we know from listening to them that weight management and weight loss during and after pregnancy is a concerning issue."

What do you think about this? I know a lot of women do overdo it a bit when pregnant with the whole 'eating for two' idea, but at the same time, don't we have enough to think about without worrying too much about weight when pregnant? I know that my midwife weighed me at the beginning and even though I was overweight said not to worry about it, or really about how much I was gaining. She didn't weigh me at all after that. I did try to keep an eye on how much I was gaining, but by the end I just gave up as I was fighting a losing battle! :lol:

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: 'Obesity epidemic' in pregnant mums

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm

From what i have been told, being overweight / underweight can have impacts on your pregnancy, and just for me alone, I am at risk of prematuirty (obviously - but due to my weight too), pre-eclampsia, blood clots, diabeties, thrombosis, post natal depression etc... so can imagine why dr's are encouraging pregnant people to lose weight prior to falling pregnant or keeping a close eye on things whilst they are pregnant.
I can see what they say, all of these things pose a substantial risk to not only the baby but also the mother too.

I wouldnt say I eat for 2, I eat whatever I want because I would rather keep it down than throw it back up again.

Yes they can be a bit OTT on the issue of how much you weigh, but I guess its better to keep an eye on things and plan for things in advance

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by rachel jane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 pm

I ate loads with all of my pregnancies which now thinking about it i shouldn't of because i'm finding it hard to find the motivation to diet while looking after 3 kids. Hey ho never mind i enjoyed all those custard doughnuts at the time!

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 am

I have to admit there is a part of me that thinks if you can't indulge a bit when pregnant, when can you? :lol:

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 am

weezypops wrote:I have to admit there is a part of me that thinks if you can't indulge a bit when pregnant, when can you? :lol:
Ok I'll admit it then.....

In 3 days I ate 22 bags of walkers crisps :oops: :lol: I managed to keep them down and everything and really craved the salt off them. I dont mind that I ate that amount as everything else I still throw up, so need something in me iykwim.
I am sure my MW will be disgusted if she ever finds out, but I dont care!

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am

Haha Michelle, that's brilliant! In your condition I think you're allowed to eat what you want!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#7 Unread post by nubs » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 am

I think with Jack I ate a lot of stodge - I had to have potatoes with every dinner but with Sam I actually lost weight (this is now back on oppps!) I think the lack of chocolate as it made me sick was a big factor!
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#8 Unread post by sheeina » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

i was very good with George i gained stone half or just under and withing 6 weeks i was back in my size 12s...then i meet the biscuits at mother and toddler groups lol and shot up to a size 16. NOT GOOD
but im starting slimming world on monday so heres hoping ill get back into those 12s mmmmm.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

mitchellmonkey
Achiever
Achiever

#9 Unread post by mitchellmonkey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I put on 1st 7lb with mitch and lost it all with in 4 days then with jamie i put on about the same but only lost a stone of it but i'm a nightmare at losing weight, i really want to but i have no motitvation at all. i'm trying to go on the wii fit regually so hopefully that should help a bit plus i do loads of walking anyway. i ate pretty much what ever i fancied, i suffered really bad with hyperemmiss with both pregnancy, i was admitted to hospital with it with mitch so i just decided to what i fancied but tried to limited a little. i had a thing for vegatable soup and mash potato mixed together with jamie mmmmmm

For your high quality fragrances and make up or to join our growing team of distributors visit www.myfmbusiness.com/nickygrant

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm

the MW in hospital told me that I was most likely going to be on a diet of walkers plain crisps! She said they were the best thing!

My diet consists of frosties, crisps and toffee crisps and homemade cookies if DH makes them for me and salmon sandwich for lunch.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Oh Jenn YUMMY!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 am

rachel jane wrote:Oh Jenn YUMMY!
yeah??? but a bit boring now LOL!

Schmushe
Blissful

#13 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:57 am

Jenn wrote:
rachel jane wrote:Oh Jenn YUMMY!
yeah??? but a bit boring now LOL!
well mine is crisps, crisps and more crisps - so at least you have a bit more variety :lol:

Return to “Pregnancy”