babychic

Another Gestational Diabetes Question

weezypops
Site Guru

Another Gestational Diabetes Question

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Something I've been thinking about but didn't get as much info on as I'd like - what happens to the baby after they're born if you have GD? I know they said they'd test his sugar levels but where do they do this? By my bed, or will they take him away? How soon after birth does it happen and how long will they monitor him for?

Would appreciate anyone who had it letting me know what happened with them!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Another Gestational Diabetes Question

#2 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:03 pm

They usually test by your bed. Is a pin prick test - a bit like the day 5/6 heel prick test, but a much smaller drop. It is put into a test strip which sits in a monitor, reading comes up very quickly - within a matter of seconds x
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks, how long after the baby's born do they do it? And is it just the once if all is okay? Just wondering how much it would extend our stay.

SWmaternity
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by SWmaternity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

As BirthAffinity have said, they usually test beside your bed, and if they have a low blood sugar reading, many hospitals suggest a formula top up.

If you are planning to breastfeed, a formula top up is good to avoid if possible. You may be able to put the baby to the breast and feed straight away, or hand express and feed your baby this way, but if they see a more urgent need, you may not have time for this. You would still be able to be prepared if you had considered antenatal expressing. If it is something you are interested in hearing more about, please feel free to ask me on here. There is also a blog post about it here - http://southwestmaternity.co.uk/2013/02 ... xpressing/

As for extending your stay, if there is a low level, you may have to stay in until they are happy with the level, which usually takes a couple of feeds. so no longer than 24 hours I shouldn't imagine, unless an extreme case.

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks, I exclusively breastfed my older two kids so would really like to avoid formula this time too. I have tried to express some already but haven't had much luck, I don't seem to be that leaky yet but I will keep at it! Both of my older two took well to breastfeeding though after a first big feed preferred to sleep for the first 24 hours - if this baby is the same is that likely to be a problem?

I've managed to control the diabetes by diet alone for me, is that likely to mean he's not affected too much or is it completely random?

SWmaternity
Newborn
Newborn

#6 Unread post by SWmaternity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm

It could be a problem, just depends which hospital you are in. Broomfield will encourage you to breastfeed as soon as possible, or hand express (I may even be the one to assist you there as I work as a volunteer BF support) I don't know about other hospitals. If you can express some, freeze and label it and take it with you to the hospital, they can use it for top ups, and then if you have a sleepy baby who wont latch, they will prob get you to hand express so that they can cup or syringe feed. Until baby wakes up enough to feed properly.

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#7 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Antenatal expressing from 36 weeks is a good idea with diabetes of pregnancy. You might not get much initially, so really wouldn't worry about it too much, quantity will gradually increase. Abd remember baby's tummy is tiny so their initial needs are minimal. A healthy term infant also have brown fat supplies to help sustain blood sugar levels in the early days too, so only small amounts are usually necessary. If you get more than that and freeze it then that's good too! If you have been stable then there is less chance if baby's levels being off at birth, so that's another good thing too! Together with you bring an experienced breastfeeder, and ensuring early feed within first hour if life, you are unlikely to run into difficulties x
Lorraine Berry

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm with Southend. I know with my daughter they put her straight to my breast and they seem very pro-breastfeeding generally. The diabetic midwife did mention expressing some colostrum beforehand if possible so it sounds like they might be okay with it.

I notice on your blog post you say not to express if you experience contractions. I've been having some regular but not very painful contractions all day today but I'm 37+4 weeks - is it okay for me to do if I find it increases them?

weezypops
Site Guru

#9 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 pm

BirthAffinity wrote:Antenatal expressing from 36 weeks is a good idea with diabetes of pregnancy. You might not get much initially, so really wouldn't worry about it too much, quantity will gradually increase. Abd remember baby's tummy is tiny so their initial needs are minimal. A healthy term infant also have brown fat supplies to help sustain blood sugar levels in the early days too, so only small amounts are usually necessary. If you get more than that and freeze it then that's good too! If you have been stable then there is less chance if baby's levels being off at birth, so that's another good thing too! Together with you bring an experienced breastfeeder, and ensuring early feed within first hour if life, you are unlikely to run into difficulties x
I really hope so! Thank you.

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#10 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Nipple stimulation produces oxytocin release so it is normal to experience an increase in braxtonhicks (oxytocin is responsible for let down reflex in breastfeeding and also for uterine contractions in labour - it basically makes smooth muscle contract). At 37+ weeks I wouldnt be too concerned if you started labouring. The amount of stimulation you give yourself with antenatal hand expressing (you wouldnt normally be expressing for more than 15 mins at a time) is highly unlikely to be sufficient to induce labour, unless you were already "almost" going into labour by yourself anyway. If you notice an increase in bracton hicks and are worried then simply stop expressing for that day. Xx
Lorraine Berry

Return to “Pregnancy”