babychic

Hospital scanning 'costs lives of healthy babies’

weezypops
Site Guru

Hospital scanning 'costs lives of healthy babies’

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Not sure what to make of this but thought I would share anyway:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women ... abies.html
More than 200 women who discover they are expecting thanks to ultra-sensitive home testing kits are having their pregnancies ended by mistake because hospital scans cannot pick up the earliest signs of life, doctors warn.

Modern home pregnancy tests, which detect hormonal changes, are so effective that women are going to hospital earlier than ever, fearing they have miscarried.

Doctors are carrying out ultrasound scans, finding no heartbeat, and consequently removing the early foetus, a health watchdog warns.

Up to 400 women may be losing their babies every year due to mistaken diagnosis of miscarriage. More than half are triggered by the problem of home pregnancy testing, according to an expert.

New guidance published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice), urges doctors not to operate to remove a foetus so quickly in the early weeks of pregnancy.

The guidance also says that women should be advised that they might still be carrying a healthy baby, even if an early scan finds no positive signs.

Mary Ann Lumsden, professor of gynaecology at Glasgow University, who helped draw up the guidance, said she had “seen mistakes made” by doctors who had acted too soon.

She said the problem of “making an incorrect diagnosis too early in pregnancy” was nowadays partly the result of what she described as “patients with sensitive pregnancy tests”.

Some tests are so sensitive that women could find out they were pregnant before even missing a period.

“They may come along at a stage when it is impossible to make a final diagnosis," she said.

“Sometimes this leads to women having surgical intervention early on. Women are told that the pregnancy is unviable at a very early stage.”

“Sometimes I have seen mistakes made because one has tried to deal with things too early and not just waited.”
Doctors needed to better explain that early scans could not always confirm if a woman had miscarried or not, she said.
“If people understand why we are saying it would better to wait, they will be sure of what we are doing.”

The problem of mistaken terminations of healthy pregnancies is only one matter covered by the guidance, which aims to improve care for women suffering suspected miscarriages or ectopic pregnancies in England and Wales.

They also call for an end to a postcode lottery in standards of treatment, by making available seven-day-a-week care for women in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy as well as a 24-hour telephone helpline for those experiencing possible complications.
Nice has also recommended training for doctors and nurses in how to “communicate sensitively” with the 168,000 women suffering miscarriages every year.

Hospitals should spare women who have suffered from miscarriage the anxiety of being treated in wards where they can hear mothers giving birth nearby.

Prof Lumsden said: “It actually doesn’t cost a great deal to be sympathetic. It is something that happens to a lot of women. But for each woman it is a unique event. We must recognise people’s distress.”

The guidelines relate to women suffering suspected miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy in the first trimester, or 13 weeks.
Approximately one in five pregnancies miscarry every year, roughly 168,000, including 143,000 in the first trimester.
Between 2006 and 2008 there were 35,495 confirmed ectopic pregnancies, of which six women died in their first trimester as a direct result.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Hospital scanning 'costs lives of healthy babies’

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

I must be thick because I don't understand? We saw William's and James' heartbeats at 6 weeks . Surely there is no way that the pregnancy kit could pick up the hormone so far in advance that the woman would go for her 12 week scan and they be unable to see the heartbeat because her dates were that much out?

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Normally they can't see a heartbeat on a scan for certain before about 7/8 weeks. When I had a lot of early scans with the miscarriages etc. they said they can sometimes see a heartbeat/foetal pole before then but not always. Seems unlikely they wouldn't find it at 12 but I thought the article was talking about early scans so before that.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#4 Unread post by lea-marie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe I'm naive, but I never even realised this was an issue/happening!

Surely it's partially common sense that a heartbeat may not be detectable at the very early stages, and I would have imagined that a sonographer would be aware of that, let alone health professionals in the field?!

I do agree with this though...
They also call for an end to a postcode lottery in standards of treatment, by making available seven-day-a-week care for women in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy as well as a 24-hour telephone helpline for those experiencing possible complications.
Nice has also recommended training for doctors and nurses in how to “communicate sensitively” with the 168,000 women suffering miscarriages every year.

Hospitals should spare women who have suffered from miscarriage the anxiety of being treated in wards where they can hear mothers giving birth nearby.

Prof Lumsden said: “It actually doesn’t cost a great deal to be sympathetic. It is something that happens to a lot of women. But for each woman it is a unique event. We must recognise people’s distress.”
When I went in for my last loss, I was held on a maternity ward while I waited for surgery and it was absolutely soul-destroying.

And as I was saying the other week, I like the idea of knowing you have a midwife/obstetrician etc on hand is a big comfort.
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Return to “Pregnancy”