babychic

Growing Pains

Ask our Children's Physiotherapist Chris Smith from Kidsphysio2u any physical development concerns you may have, or for general children's physiotheraphy questions.
Jeanette
The Nanny

Growing Pains

#1 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

HiChris. :D
Welcome to Essex Mums.
My two are both grown up now but something I always wondered about, Is there such a thing as growing pains or is it a diagnosis the doctors used when they didn't really know what was up?
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Kidsphysio2u
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Ask the Children's Physiotherapist - New Section

#2 Unread post by Kidsphysio2u » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi Jeanette,
Congratulations for the first question. The answer is yes they do exist, Although a number of cause exist growing pains can normally be explained with a Growth spurt. As the bones grow quicker than the muscles, this can pull the muscle attachments to the bone and cause localised swelling. It is this swelling that is often cause of the pain symptom. Children with extra bendy joints (hypermobility) tend to suffer worse with this in my experience. It also tends to run in families. Hope this helps.
Chris Smith
Lead Children's Physiotherapist
Kidsphysio2u Limited
01206 510858
info@kidsphysio2u.co.uk

Jeanette
The Nanny

Re: Growing Pains

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for that Chris. That makes sense. My daughter used to suffer from it sometimes and I often wondered if the doctors were just lost for a proper diagnosis. You learn something every day. :D
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Return to “Ask the Children's Physiotherapist”