babychic

Redecorating with eco paints

For household tips and family talk
envirodec
Newborn
Newborn

Redecorating with eco paints

#1 Unread post by envirodec » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Redecorating your home? Try eco paints with Envirodec!

This bank holiday weekend, how many of you will be pulling on the old jogging bottoms, getting the steps out of the shed and redecorating a room? Well, you all with your hands up, pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and let me give you something to think about.

I guess you were just going to head out to B&Q and get the paint. Either Dulux or Crown; whichever is on offer? Well let me acquaint you with eco-paints before you do this. Conventional paints (Dulux, Crown, Johnston’s etc) are toxic are actually bad for your health. Decorators are now considered to be working in a carcinogenic trade, as decorators are 40% more likely to contract lung cancer. These pains contain VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals. In some cases, manufacturing 2 ton of conventional paint produces 30 tons of toxic waste! It’s pretty obvious that this is not what’s required on the walls of your family home. These paints give of harmful fumes and toxins over the course of 5 years and exacerbate asthma and ME, among others causing particular distress to adults and children that are chemically sensitive. This is immediately apparent when you walk into a building that has recently been decorated and smell the noxious, toxic chemical smell. With all t he synthetic materials (vinyl’s, foam, lack of ventilation) it’s hardly surprising that interior air is up to 900% more polluted than that of outside!

There is happily now an alternative. My name is Matthew Robson and I have been a professional painter and decorator for the last 15 years. I have been using conventional products up until now; the formation of Envirodec. In early 2012 I really began to think about possible alternatives to conventional products. The following year was spent researching alternatives, different companies and their manufacturing processes. I figured out what was good, what wasn’t, what was different, how green they are and what they were made of. My conclusion; eco paints are great! They’re made of natural products rather than as a by product of the petrochemical industry. They’re made from sustainable natural sources, without the embodied energy of the usual products. As soon as you open the tin, you can smell the difference. Instead of smelling chemicals and toxicity, you get the pleasing smell of citrus fruits and natural ingredients. When applying them to the walls you can feel and see the quality. I gain personal as well as professional satisfaction leaving a project not only having left a beautifully decorated room, but one i am happy that your children can sleep safely and comfortably. Eco paints are compostable and Ecos’ range of products are so safe you can actually eat them! Although I like to give surplus paint to the charity Community Repaint http://www.communityrepaint.org.uk/ a company that collects some of the estimated 50 million litres of paint that are sitting in peoples garages in the UK.

Eco paints, when professionally applied, I believe provide a superior finish. They’ve won awards and have been used on many prestigious projects including the Norwegian Parliament building. Although a little more expensive (approx 7% extra to completely redecorate the average room – ceilings, walls and woodwork) the benefits clearly outweigh the difference in price. So rather than filling your home with harmful chemicals, toxins and VOC’s this weekend have a think about using eco friendly paints. Unlike conventional paints that attract dust, eco paints are clean, some even air purifying, durable and easy to clean.

If you have any questions or would like any free advice then check out the learn area of our website www.helloenvirodec.com or email matt@helloenvirodec.com I am to answer them as quickly as possible.

Return to “Home Talk”