babychic

Struggling with a return to the gym

Put your health and fitness questions to our forum Personal Trainer Zoe Randall
Horseymum
Newborn
Newborn

Struggling with a return to the gym

#1 Unread post by Horseymum » Thu May 10, 2012 11:54 am

Ok so before I had my little girl last September I trained for up to three hours a night either on the mat or in the gym, I used to box for fitness leisure,menudo to international. I also used to train BJJ and MMA as well as riding and caring for my horse daily.
since having my little girl I lost the baby weight within a month, was back riding the horses in 6 weeks and went back to judo after 8 weeks, I've stopped judo mainly as in the evening and OH gets home after 6 most nits so find that training late does pnothing for my mood/energy the next day. But I have been in the gym a hour a day every day, in addition to the chores that motherhood and family lfe brings, and riding my horse alon g with yard chores, but can't get past the 75kg mark, really could do with getting back down to 65kg for my own sanity but no matter what I do or how much I do it's not shifting and now I'm struggling to get motivated :-( grrrr....
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS THOUGH YOU'LL DIE TODAY"

zobe1
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Struggling with a return to the gym

#2 Unread post by zobe1 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello there, sorry I seem to have missed this.
Ok, this reads like a bit of a questionnaire..
Wow, did you do anything to lose the baby weight so quickly? How did you feel going back to horse rising and judo so early?
Is your daughter your first baby? The body goes through many changes in pregnancy and then you have the different stresses put upon it once your little one arrives. Focus on posture/core strength and muscle imbalances is really important. I know it must be hard as you were so active prior to pregnancy, but it's important to remember it takes time to build back up and doing things safely is far more important. It took 9 months to bring your daughter into this world :-)
What do you do at the gym? Do you vary your routine and progress the exercises? Are you following a programme? Are you following any kind of nutritional programme?
It's great that you're finding the time to get to the gym and you sound really focused. It's also important to give your body some rest days too, this is when it adapts to the stress of exercise, making the training more effective, time for soft tissue repair and general replenishment.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Zoe Randall
w: fitbugs.net
e: zoe@fitbugs.net

Return to “Ask the Trainer”