babychic

Injuries and exercise

Put your health and fitness questions to our forum Personal Trainer Zoe Randall
Schmushe
Blissful

Injuries and exercise

#1 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Ive hurt my neck / shoulder somehow and taking ibuprofen and using deep heat (dr prescribed). Ive avoided exercise because I didn't want to make it worse, but haven't managed to go to the gym now for over 3 weeks. Should I wait to go back until it's better or can I go and change my routine a bit?

I currently do:- (every other day)
Cross trainer or stepper
Treadmill or rowing machine
Exercise bike
Weights

Could I do something that doesn't use my neck / shoulder?

zobe1
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Injuries and exercise

#2 Unread post by zobe1 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your question.
Do you know what triggered it? Are you finding it's easing up? Has the doctor said exactly what you've done? How old are your children? Sorry, many questions. We can often injure ourselves doing repetitive movements and lifting.
You can adapt and make the cross trainer a leg and core workout by not using the arms. Avoid the rower and upper body weights until you're back to full function. Use this time to focus on some core exercise, using a swiss ball is great. These are your deep muscles that maintain your posture (include deepest stomach muscles). Ask the gym to go through some exercises with you, but avoid any where you are putting pressure through your shoulders. They'll be able to adapt your position.
Have you been given any stretches or mobilisation exercises to do, as it's important to keep these mobile? Gentle things like shoulder rolls and arm circles, tilting your head to each side. If you go to a gym, then a sauna or steam would be really good as it will help you relax and the muscles will follow. A sports massage is also great and will get into any tight areas and release some tension.
Let me know how you're getting on. I hope this helps.
Zoe Randall
w: fitbugs.net
e: zoe@fitbugs.net

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Injuries and exercise

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Zoe - thanks for your reply.
I dont know what triggered it, i'm not sure if its related to my thyroid as I know a few people with similar pains, but at the moment its being treated as muscular. Deep heat does help, although the ibuprofen on its own doesnt. The pain is so bad sometimes it makes me physically feel sick!!
Its not easing up no, I have to put deep heat on still and the meds arnt working, but need to try it for 6 week and only 4 weeks in.
I have a 8 yr old and a 4 yr old.
Dr isnt sure what I have done, he says muscular as when he touches it I am literally jumping out of the chair.

Thanks for the info on the workout, I havent been given any exercises to do, just been told to carry on as normal and avoid having the car window open as maybe its affected it when its cold (?).

Return to “Ask the Trainer”