babychic

How often to exercise

Put your health and fitness questions to our forum Personal Trainer Zoe Randall
weezypops
Site Guru

How often to exercise

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Thought I'd ask the first question!

How often do you think is best to exercise? Would you recommend doing a little every day, or a couple of longer, harder sessions each week - is one better than the other?

zobe1
Newborn
Newborn

Re: How often to exercise

#2 Unread post by zobe1 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Good question. There are many different reasons people exercise and the benefits of exercise are not just physical.
Everyone is different, lifestyle, current fitness, medical condition etc, so a general answer is quite difficult.
As a rule doing moderate exercise 5 times a week for 30 mins is a good base. This is where you can speak in sentences, not paragraphs, get warm and a little sweaty. You can make something like a walk more challenging by varying the pace, adding some hills and changing the surface. Choose something you enjoy, that way you will stick with it. Exercise is a great way to de-stress, take your mind off the day-to-day activities and have some time for you. This will not only benefit you, but those around you will notice the difference too. Make it FUN! Keeping a log of what you do is really motivating.
(This is for general exercise, if you have more specific goals, then a training programme may be followed)
Once you get into the swing of things, it's important to vary what you do and if you want to improve your fitness, I recommend increasing the intensity of what you do every 4-6 weeks. The body will adapt, so to reap the rewards this is essential.
If you are pregnant/post natal please seek advice, or drop me a note.
If you have a medical condition and are concerned, please contact your GP before starting an exercise programme.
Zoe Randall
w: fitbugs.net
e: zoe@fitbugs.net

LouiseFisher
Newborn
Newborn

Re: How often to exercise

#3 Unread post by LouiseFisher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

About 30 Mins a day is fine! Depends what your goals are I presume x

Return to “Ask the Trainer”