babychic

Nearly 100 Rayne villagers protest against school transport

For discussing news stories that relate to or affect families in Essex
weezypops
Site Guru

Nearly 100 Rayne villagers protest against school transport

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/village ... story.html[/img]

NEARLY 100 villagers from Rayne have come together to protest against school transport cuts meaning children starting secondary school this year will not get free bus trips

Parents have been told after applying for places, that if their children go to Notley High School, instead of Tabor Academy, they will have to pay for transport, despite Rayne Primary School being a feeder school. This is because Notley High School is more than three miles away.

Julie Payne has one son, Alex, 12, who currently goes to Notley High, but her 11-year-old son, Evan, will not get free bus transport in September.

Julie, who is a nurse at Broomfield Hospital, said: "My biggest issue with this scheme is that there has been little consultation provided or clear communication offered, and the council can't say if there will be an opportunity for my younger son to travel on the bus with his elder brother, nor can they give me any indication of cost.

"To give parents no idea of how children may be able to get there until a couple of months beforehand is appalling."

So far 500 signatures have been collected on a petition. A committee has been formed, as well as a Facebook group and a website at www.rastc.org.uk

Return to “Local News”