babychic

A Good Marriage

For advice and chat about relationships, whether with your spouse, your MIL, your friends or anyone else in your life
weezypops
Site Guru

A Good Marriage

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun May 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Similar to the other topic about a true friend, what do you think makes a good marriage? Why does yours work?

I used to think that Kester and I worked well because we were really similar but over the years I've started to think that in some ways the opposite might be true. We're the same on most key issues in terms of things like religion, politics, how to raise the kids etc and I think it's important that these things mesh, but I've realised our personalities are different in many ways and that we actually compliment each other well - I'm shyer than him but more willing to take a risk, he worries more than me but about the big things, whereas I tend to focus on silly little niggles. It sort of means that we can fix the areas where each other is... well, lacking, I suppose.

That, and that we still find each other irresistible, make each other laugh and are still interested in what each other has to say, whcih isn't bad after all these years!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: A Good Marriage

#2 Unread post by nubs » Sun May 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Hmmm Tom and I have been together 10 years - we have opposite personalities but at different times if that makes sense?
We have the same sense of humour, and our personalities compliment one another, I am a worrier but then quite calm and patient whereas Tom is more live for the day and has a serious potty mouth!?!! he often blows a fuse and rants and raves but its all hot air
I think the success of our marriage is the things that have happened and how we pulled together to deal with the situation, for example the hurricane we survived in Mexico, my car crash and then severe depression ( this nearly tip us over!)
Then the move to northern Ireland, Jack's dramatic birth and then hospital isolation incident at 6 wks and money worries
But so long as we talk and agree things we plod along just fine - plus a big thing is 'us' time which we are getting back on track and going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#3 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 am

Ahhh where to start with Dom and I :D

We got together in 1999 at school and have been together ever since. Married and have a gawjus lil man who we love very much and other one on the way :D
Dom and I were sooo the opposite and they do say opposites attract :D :lol:
I can honestly say that we are more in love than ever.. Yes sad I no.
Its so lovely tho. I agree that things bring you closer together like when we have miscarried and a few other things in our past but if anything has made us so much stronger.

I do believe after all these years Dom and I are forever. I no childhood sweetheart relationships rarely work but this one certainly has.
I could babble and babble but wont :lol:
We trust each other and respect eachother and I still fancy the pants off him he he. Dom thankfully isnt a typical man either that just expects!!!! He is a darling aww.
Anywayyysss enough about us now as im going all gooey. xx

Im just so thankful ive found the love of my life and Dom is the daddy to my babies. He works so hard to support us. I love him lotsys :D xxx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#4 Unread post by sheeina » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 am

me and paul have been together for 10 years but it feels as if we have not been.

i think its weird that we will walk round the shops holdiong hands and we are cuddling and kissing (not in your face!!!) just a pek and a cuddle while in the queues etx.

we are different paul spends i dont. paul would go to pub evey night i wont. sure there is load more but cant think right now.
but we agree on loads of things. work, holidays, friends, children, marriage, house, upbringings, fun things,tv(most of the time). etc.

i think we are happy as we got everything out of the way before we settled down. (together) like the holidays we wanted buying things we knew we would never be able to when the next step came along.
i think the most important thing is talking (sometimes a shout). but we havent had any bad times in the ten years. it just been passing of grandparents which i know is hard but npothing on what some people go through.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Tue May 03, 2011 8:17 am

Hmmm..... what makes a marriage or long term relationship work?

Not sure how to answer this but didn't want to read nd run?

Wanting to be together, Being able to forgive, sharing some but not all interests, being comfortable with each other even in silence, being able to be happy.

Return to “Relationships”