babychic

Moving house for catchment????

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Moving house for catchment????

#16 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Josh doesn't want to go to grammar school. Alexa wants to go to southend high for girls cause she likes that there's no boys there. Bet he doesn't say that in a few years. I ultimately want them to be happy and yes school ofsted reports are important and the quality of teaching but as long as they're happy am sure they'll thrive. All schools have faults but its how we dal with them that change things.
If josh wants to go to futures then so be it. But will show him all available options and let him decide.

I think the friends thing may be a issue too. They're always going to prefer schools with friends they already have.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#17 Unread post by nubs » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Rachel your sister went to southend high then went to shoebury didn't she?
I read earlier that shoebury has been recognised for being one of the most improved school in the area in the last couple of years
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#18 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Yeah she hated Southend high. Yeah shoebury was in the paper this week about being one of the most improved schools and a child is off to Oxford.
I won't give Connie the option of choosing her school although she wants shoebury, I will listen to her views but ultimately it's mine and johns decision.

Schmushe
Blissful

#19 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Josh is having a 'say' but it's our decision when it's time. We have to weigh up all the options.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#20 Unread post by lea-marie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am

Charli has had her heart set on a grammar school since year one! And I think the atmosphere and teaching styles would suit her perfectly. I loved Westcliff for the time that I was there, and really begrudged having to move schools.

I was quite surprised as well, as Charli is so set on grammar school, that she doesn't even mind if she doesn't go to high school with her friends! She has said that if she doesn't get into Chelmsford, then she wants to weigh up her options with te other schools, but since we will likely move to Braintree, she still doesn't mind going to school there, though I don't know what the schools in Braintree are like?
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

#21 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Just in case anyone wanted to know catchment areas for the Essex grammars have recently changed. In addition 80% of their intake is based on the highest scoring students for catchment on 11 plus, the remaining 20% is reserved for the highest scoring students outside catchment. Currently the acceptance mark on 11 plus for Southend grammars is much lower that Chelmsford or Colchester.

KJ x

Essex Mums Book Challenge 8/25
Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R R Martin

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#22 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:05 am

Does that mean it's harder to get into Chelmsford than Southend now? Or the other way around lol
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#23 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Harder to get into Chelmsford I think. Also johns friend doesn't work at that school he works at king Edwards grammar.
Kathryn what school do you work at?

Return to “Education”