babychic

Times Tables

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Times Tables

#16 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Jenn wrote:I don't really know what they are doing? I know by the end of year one - children should know 2, 5 and 10 (I think)
Just out of interest, where did you hear this? I'm just wondering as this thread got me thinking about it all, what the expectations are etc. and I can't find anything about them being able to do any sorts of multiplication in year one beyond counting in 2s and 10s, and most things say that all they need to be able to do by the end of year two is 2s, 5s and 10s.

(To clarify, as I know these things can come across wrong, I'm not doubting, just interested!)

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#17 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 pm

In the end of reception school meeting we were given a sheet stating everything a child should be able to Di at the end of year one.

Remind me in the morning and I will dig it out.

But it might just be our school. I thought maybe it was set. But reading and talking on here makes me think that it might be our school expectTions?

weezypops
Site Guru

#18 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Could it have been KS1 rather than year 1? We were given something similar but I doubt I kept it! It's got me wondering though. Although I don't know how much would apply to Felix's class as it's a bit different.

Schmushe
Blissful

#19 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Ours have a sheet (booklet) which explains what the aims are and by the end of each year they should be able to.... This goes up to yr 6 as josh had one too.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#20 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm

I know all schools are different and teachers teach different but i would of thought they follow the same curriculum and guidelines. I might ask my friends who are teachers and teaching assistants and see what their schools do as its quite interesting. I know people who work at temple, bournes green, westleigh, milton and others so would be intersting to see.

Schmushe
Blissful

#21 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Ill see if I can dig mine out and post a copy or ask school for another copy.

Schmushe
Blissful

#22 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 am

This is from our school website which shows the levels and what they should be doing

http://thorpedene.southend.sch.uk/wordp ... arents.pdf

weezypops
Site Guru

#23 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 am

So that says they should be able to multiply 2,4,5 and 10 by end of level 3, which is what? Average for year 2/3?

Schmushe
Blissful

#24 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah level 3 would be yrs 2/3. So the fact some arnt covering times tables yet isn't a massive thing.

Rachel if you look on the PDF it will say ways to help with maths. Just look at the level you need and it'll give you tips next to it. Can't find out any more on tables until Tuesday.

weezypops
Site Guru

#25 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 am

Just looking and the Dept for Education seem to say that level 2b is the expected attainment for year 2. It also says:

Year 3: 2a
Year 4: 3b
Year 5: 3a
Year 6: 4b

also, more generally and taking into account higher and lower achievers:
levels 1-3 in key stage 1, attaining level 2 at the end of the key stage
levels 2-5 in key stage 2, attaining level 4 at the end of the key stage
levels 3-7 in key stage 3, attaining level 5/6 at the end of the key stage

So by the sounds of it there's nothing at all to worry about if they're not doing multiplication in year 1/2 and aren't expected to be able to do it until they've reached level 3!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#26 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 am

Yeah they are meant to be level 2 at the end of year 2 so are thorpedene, Eastwood and hamster quite pushy school if they are doing it already?

Schmushe
Blissful

#27 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:13 am

I wouldn't say their pushy Rachel. There are so many that are 'ready' for more formal learning and although R and yr1 are mainly play based, the teachers have said numerous times its the children that want the extra learning and prefer to be doing that kind of thing. It doesn't apply to everyone and not all the time but if you've hot kids wanting to extend learning and eager to learn you can't just refuse cause they're not in the right year group.
In Reception last year we were told they were the most academic of the reception classes in years and were constantly wanting more - which is good!!!

Return to “Education”