babychic

Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to kid

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
weezypops
Site Guru

Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to kid

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am

Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10768.html

A café owner in Australia has sparked fierce debate after declaring her establishment is not tolerant of children who misbehave.

Jodie Morris, owner of The Little French Café in Broadmeadow, near Sydney, New South Wales, caused a stir among parents when she posted a message onto her business’ Facebook page, stating that if parents are looking for an area for their children to “run rampant and annoy other customers,” then her café is “not child friendly”.

“However, if you would like to bring your children here, and they are happy to sit at a table with you, whilst you enjoy a coffee, and are well behaved, then please come in,” she wrote.

The post, which has since been removed, was attacked by many as “arrogant” and an “attack on parents,” with one parent stating the café had “just alienated a lot of people”.

Owner Jodie Morris says business is better than it's ever been But many showed support for Ms Morris, who is a mother herself, claiming there is “nothing ruder” than a parent who allows their child to misbehave in public, while others claimed the café would “probably get more custom” from its public stance on unruly children.

“Everyone’s said oh you’re going to lost so much business but we’re the busiest we’ve ever been,” Ms Morris told the Daily Mail Australia.

The original Facebook post was in response to a one star review the café had been given by a woman, who had asked if it was child friendly.

Ms Morris has since taken her Facebook post down, claiming that it was taken “completely the wrong way”, but has posted a follow up to clarify her position.

“I have been subjected to children emptying salt and pepper shakers into my fireplaces, parents changing nappies on my loungers, kids grinding their own food into my carpet, parents sitting babies in nappies in the middle of dining tables, kids running around the café like it’s a Formula 1 track, jumping on the furniture, screaming – just for fun – not pain, and encouraged by their parents, upsetting the rest of the customers and I’d really just had enough,” she wrote.

Ms Morris added that she is a single parent and that she “scrimped” every penny to put into her café, which she is “very proud of”.

“When I have to stand there and watch people disrespect and damage my belongings and property, it breaks a piece of my heart every time,” she said.

“Some will agree with my stance, some will not, but it’s my stance for my business.”

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 am

What do you think? I actually think this is fair enough - different places cater to different people and it's not like they're saying 'no kids', just that it's not specifically catering to children.

Jeanette
The Nanny

Re: Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 am

I think she's being perfectly fair. Why should she have to accept children damaging her property. You go to a cafe to have a meal or drink. If you want your children to be able to run around while you eat or drink then go to a play centre or a picnic.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Return to “Speaker's Corner”