babychic

Gifts for Teachers

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
weezypops
Site Guru

Gifts for Teachers

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 am

I was asked to talk on the Dave Monk show this morning about gifts for teachers and was wondering what you all thought about them. Do you mind having to buy them? Do you do it because you think you should or because you want to? Is it unfair that it's now expected, especially if people can't afford something?

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Gifts for Teachers

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am

It has become an 'expected' thing and when a majority of classes now have 2 teachers and about 5 TA's, it becomes an expensive end of year, especially with more than one child, so I'll be glad when Josh leaves next year as it'll be cheaper lol

Alot of parents now are opting to do a voucher between everyone, as not only is it more cost effective but its also better for the teacher, who must get so fed up of the same kinds of gifts every year - although it does involve alot of planning before hand.
It is a nice thing to do for your teacher, but there are some parents who do say that they dont get gifts as part of their job, and surely the teachers dont 'expect' things, their job is satisfaction enough - or a simple 'Thankyou you've been great' comment would suffice?

This year, Alexas teacher is getting a voucher from a few of us - at the moment it stands at £50, which will enable her to buy herself something nice. Her other teacher (who only does friday) and the TA's, I will buy chocolates for.
Joshs teacher - he wants to get her some choc from Holland (where she is from), so I need to get that sorted if I have chance this week.

Then on top of that we have Alexas ballet teacher!

So all in all I will probably spend about £30/£35

Return to “Speaker's Corner”