babychic

Debate: Is it ok to top a Breastfeeding baby up with formula

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

Debate: Is it ok to top a Breastfeeding baby up with formula

#1 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Did any of you Breastfeeding mums ever top your baby up with formula to help prolong the amount of time you were able to breast feed for?
View this article on the Parentdish website. I was very honoured to be asked to give my opinion on this subject.
Would love to know what the Essex Mums think of the article and whether you agree or disagree.
Thanks. Lisa :D

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/baby/should ... la-debate/

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Debate: Is it ok to top a Breastfeeding baby up with formula

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 pm

None of my three have had formula at all. I know some people do struggle with breastfeeding but I've been lucky to have been able to find support for any problems I've had and have been able to get past them.

I think the main problem with topping up is that it can be a slippery slope - if you just do it once or twice that's not a problem but if you are struggling with supply anyway, continued topping up will make the supply dwindle, which means you top up more, it dwindles more etc. I think if you really do want to continue with breastfeeding, you're better off expressing milk and topping up with that as at least then you're trying to keep your supply up.

I wouldn't say that it's not 'okay' though as it's up to the individual and if someone is struggling and needs to stop, it's up to them. Just that it might not be a great idea if you're hoping to breastfeed for a longer period.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:01 pm

I was basically forced to top up William in hospital with formula - the hospital gave me a choice of about 6 formulas and told me choose one to use - I hadn't even researched into formula so foolishly chose one that I had seen an advert on tv for without reading into it or anything! and they offered me no help in choosing which one to use. I wish I had said no when I was told to top him up but because he was born early, and little and jaundiced and refusing (well fussing and taking up to 90 mins to latch on and actually start feeding from me - I did what I was told.

3 days later of trying me first and having to top up and he never latched onto me again and so he was expressed fed by bottle for 6 months :( Still feel really terrible about it but I couldn't keep up with him as he was having 7 x 7oz bottles a day and after a few weeks of doing that - I was just too tired and had no time to actually just play with him.
Last edited by Jenn on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wigglewoo
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by wigglewoo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm fairly interested in this subject - I'm due next week and am hoping to breast feed but am really worrying about the toll it will have on my body, especially with the tiredness and not being able to get out of the house (I'm a bit too shy to even contemplate breast feeding in public!) So have been thinking about topping up with formula as at least that way others can help me out a bit, but I have been advised that this shouldn't be done in the first 6 weeks at least!

So will be interesting to see what people with experience have to say!!

:)

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I used to express for my eldest when he was in SCBU but obviously the lack of contact and general tiredness meant my supply dried up pretty quickly. When my daughter was born she had expressed milk into a bottle but again I couldn't keep up with her needs and she had formula top ups. Once she was home 3 weeks later I tried to start breast feeding and it was fine for a while but because she wasn't feeding as much as Health professionals would of liked I had to top up forumla. Massively slippery slope and meant my milk dried up fairly quickly.
I get that some people don't feel comfortable breast feeding and prefer to share the feeding via bottle so I wish I'd carried on expressing for them to have. Although no harm came to them having formula. The constant change between milks I could imagine upsetting their digestion and affecting bowel movements or reflux.

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:04 pm

wigglewoo wrote:I'm fairly interested in this subject - I'm due next week and am hoping to breast feed but am really worrying about the toll it will have on my body, especially with the tiredness and not being able to get out of the house (I'm a bit too shy to even contemplate breast feeding in public!) So have been thinking about topping up with formula as at least that way others can help me out a bit, but I have been advised that this shouldn't be done in the first 6 weeks at least!

So will be interesting to see what people with experience have to say!!

:)
I don't think it makes me more tired necessarily - things like night feeds are quicker because you don't have to get up and make up a bottle, you can just grab the baby and pop them on - all warm and ready to go! I was shy of breastfeeding in public with my first so would time going out around feeds, but as we went on I became more confident. Now with my third, I will take out a shawl just in case I want to use it but generally am not fussed about where I feed him!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm

A lot of my friends currently have a feeding bib - they are fab. This looks like them but not sure but all my mum friends say they are great unlike a blanket/sheet - you can look down to assist baby and see baby

http://www.bababoom.co.uk/Bebe_au_Lait_ ... --189.html

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#8 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Aww Jenn don't you feel bad. Things don't always work for everyone x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#9 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Jenny, that's what I have. Maybe not that brand but that sort of thing - it's very light and you don't feel like they're suffocating in there! I don't really use it much but it is handy if you ever feel a little uncomfortable for whatever reason.

I agree with Gemma though, you shouldn't feel bad - you tried your hardest which is a brilliant thing to do. I'm sorry you were given such bad advice in the first place.

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#10 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for all your feedback ladies. Getting the right advice is key to ensuring Breastfeeding works and can be continued even if the odd formula top up is needed. Sorry that wasn't the case for some of you and It ended up causing supply and feeding issues, resulting in you giving up breastfeeding.

I've worked with hundreds of mums-90% of whom breast feed. Most of them haven't had supply issues and always been able to produce enough milk to feed their babies exclusively with breast milk-whether that be directly from the breast or expressed milk in a bottle.

However, around 10% of the Breastfeeding mums I've worked with genuinely have not had enough milk to be able to satisfy their baby.
We have persevered trying to establish supply for a good couple of weeks with regular feeding and ensuring mum is eating and drinking enough but as baby continues to cry and look for milk after a full hour of breast feeding and is unsettled and not gaining weight, just a couple of formula top ups after a full breast feed, have saved the day and helped those mums to continue to breastfeed for the bulk of the day and night.

I think there is a lot of pressure from other people, health professions and the personal pressure that we ourselves as mums put on ourselves to succeed at Breastfeeding. I personally breast fed all 3 of my children for 6-7 months each and did use formula for the odd top up feed when I felt my supply was lower at times. As long as formula is used as a top up after a regular breast feed, then issues with supply shouldn't happen.

I know there is a lot of information on this that is inaccurate and contradictory between different books mums read though, so it's always difficult to gauge which information you should go by.

That was one of my biggest reasons for writing my book-having professional as well as personal experience with 3 very different children of my own gave me a great deal of tips and info to pass on to mums that isn't currently available. I offer FREE email/twitter/Facebook advice to any mum who needs it and currently have between 5-10 mums emailing me daily, and will continue to offer this service for as long as it is needed.

Thanks again to all of you for giving feedback on this subject. :-)

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#11 Unread post by nubs » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 pm

My personal experience was having enough milk but being in unbearable pain following an emergency c-section - breast feeding seemed to cause pain in my lower belly - not sure why I lasted 3 weeks of only allowing one bottle feed but jack was not satisfied
Had the same with my second too
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#12 Unread post by nubs » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 pm

My personal experience was having enough milk but being in unbearable pain following an emergency c-section - breast feeding seemed to cause pain in my lower belly - not sure why I lasted 3 weeks of only allowing one bottle feed but jack was not satisfied
Had the same with my second too
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#13 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:07 am

Ditto Kris. I tried but the pain over took me. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx