babychic

Reading : Age Appropriateness

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Reading : Age Appropriateness

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Yesterday's/today's chat regarding reading has gotten me to thinking (and it's been a while since I started one of these in here too!)... When it comes to reading, what is considered age appropriate for our children?

Obviously, there are set levels to be taken into consideration and learning/understanding abilities etc but what about free-reading?

As I mentioned a moment ago in the other thread, Charli is currently reading the Twilight Saga books. I have read them myself a few years ago, and whilst they are aimed at a slightly older audience than Charli's recent 9-years, they are not exactly explicit any way, however, a few people think she may be too young to read them.
She has watched all of the films, and was not uncomfortable with any of the content, so I feel she would be fine to read the written form of the story also.

What are your opinions?
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Reading : Age Appropriateness

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 pm

I would feel more uncomfortable with youngsters watching films aimed at older kids/adults rather than books as it's a lot more in your face. I read some scary books when I was younger and always enjoyed them and I think as long as they're not too adult it's not a problem. I haven't seen or read Twilight so can't comment on them specifically but I would generally try to avoid something with too much violence/gore when they were still at primary age.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Re: Reading : Age Appropriateness

#3 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 pm

I have to say, in regards to the violence - Kid's TV is full of it now! It's quite hard, outside of the likes of Baby TV and Disney, to find a kid's channel/programme that doesn't have something violent in it... The massive superhero craze at the moment certainly has boosted this!

Twilight, although it does have some violence in it, isn't particularly gory and whilst it does have sex scenes in the final two movies, they are mild and implied as opposed to most sex scenes in films.

Charli knows about sex and understands that it is something that 'adults' do when in love with each other ( ;) ), so she takes things like that in her stride and it doesn't make her uncomfortable.

It's difficult to find a balance when a child is a lot more mentally and emotionally mature than their stereotype age group, iykwim?
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Return to “Speaker's Corner”