babychic

Headlice

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
Schmushe
Blissful

Headlice

#1 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 pm

So we all hear the word 'headlice' and then immediatley scratch our heads :lol: , but headlice is something that plauges us all.

I know schools cant tell you that your child has them (Well a majority cant), but do you think they should? What do you think about parents which dont treat their child / check them regularly? Is it just ignorance or laziness?

I appreciate that you get them by accident, and its not the childs fault (or anyones tbh)- but when people comment they can see the childs hair literally crawling with them, should it be the child should stay at home till they are treated?
Where is the line between being 'discriminated' (yes discriminated) against because you have headlice, and neglect because nothing is done about it and they start biting the childs scalp!?

I am interested in hearing as many sides to this as possible - its something I am going to approach the school about.

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Headlice

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Why can't the school tell you? I'm not sure if Felix's do actually, they have sent a letter out saying someone in the class had one but I don't know if they tell the parents themselves. I would think it would make sense to tell them, though I imagine it's quite embarrassing. Is it just because it used to be a school nurse's job?

I've been lucky not to have had to deal with them so far, but I'm pretty sure if my kids did get them I would treat it immediately - I suppose there wouldn't be a need to keep them off as they would be treated as soon as I saw anything. I do think that leaving them on your kids head for a longer period without treating them is pretty neglectful, and affects other children too. Yes, I understand it's a common condition and it can't be helped, but not treating it just makes it spread even further.

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Gina73 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Our school sends a letter out to each parent in the class to let them know there has been a case in the class. I have always checked Mia on a regular basis and she knows that if her head itches she must tell me. When she was at nursery they used to say she couldnt attend unless she had been treated and maybe that is what the school should do but I know the schools wont. I dont think it is fair for parents not to treat the kids hair otherwise it just carries on doing the rounds and everyone is constantly having to treat knowing that the child will get it again. I use a shampoo and defence spray which seems to help.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 pm

When I worked at Williams school - We phoned parents if they were so plagued with headlice that you could visibly see them without searching - if you get my drift - so it is obvious that they have been there longer than the 6 hours that you are in school. And then if a child is this bad then the rest of the class get a letter saying please check. Maybe - things have changed as it was 6 years ago?

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Your not allowed to tell parents / single a family out because it is classed as discrimination and could lead to abuse from parents who dont understand about headlice and blame the child / cut all their hair off.

The current guidelines are they send a letter out with every child in the class where headlice have been found and hope for the best

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Oh - fair enough! Things do change all the time!

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Gina73 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Maybe some parents just need educating about headlice and how it is treated.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

Schmushe
Blissful

#8 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Yeah thats what alot of schools say Gina and thats why they send the letters home with the explanation / how to treat.

But is that enough? Is a letter something that a parent would take seriously?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#9 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 pm

I hate headlice but what I found was when Abigail had it she didn't tell us she was itchy and I only found out when I looked in her hair and the lice were actually crawling all over her hair :oops:

Obviously as soon as I saw it I made her go in the bathroom and we treated her hair with conditioner and combed it through and kept on at it till she was clear but she did get them practically every week for about 6 months non stop and it was very frustrating

Luckily she hasn't had them since but it was down to her to tell me she was itching

Schmushe
Blissful

#10 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 am

Gillybean wrote:but it was down to her to tell me she was itching
So do you think that may be the reason most parents 'miss' headlice? The fact they wait for the child to scratch / say they are itchy?

Is it still not the parents responsibility to check regularly and if not, what age would be classed as 'responsible'?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 am

I think a parent should check their childs hair until they are out of Junior school - not sure how often as they get older? maybe once a fortnight?. This may be by washing their hair, giving it a brush or just sitting really close to them during story time. I check William whenever I do the bedtime story (If Mike is home and feeding James). He doesn't really know what I am doing tho.

weezypops
Site Guru

#12 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 am

I tend to do the same Jenn, it's not like I have a set time for it, I just have a little look here and there when cuddling them etc, and Kester does when washing their hair as it's usually him who does it.

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#13 Unread post by Gillybean » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 am

I probably should check regularly but I guess because she never got them till she was 7/8 I'd never been concerned before plus when she got them the first ever time she was itching and after looking in her hair and seeing nothing I took her to st lukes drop in centre cause i was concerned and the gp there said she may have been allergic to something and prescribed piroton as they checked her hair and didn't find anything either and it wasn't until a few days later when the eggs hatched that i realised what it was.

I do think children if they are older like Abigail they should be able to tell me if they are itching and yes should start to take responsibility for their own hygiene although saying that i still have to nag her lol

Schmushe
Blissful

#14 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

I check both my kids hair on a regular basis and doubly if we get a letter sent home saying someone in the class has it and I think I probably will check them both regulalry up until senior school, when I would a) hope they could do it themselves and b) hope they wouldnt get it at all.

Bring back the 'nit nurse'!!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#15 Unread post by Jeanette » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am

Schmushe wrote:I check both my kids hair on a regular basis and doubly if we get a letter sent home saying someone in the class has it and I think I probably will check them both regulalry up until senior school, when I would a) hope they could do it themselves and b) hope they wouldnt get it at all.

Bring back the 'nit nurse'!!
I just went to do a post with exactly the same start 'Bring back the nit nurse' but then thought better of it so didn't submit it but yes I do think it would be a good thing. It won't happen though. She used to come in to check us on a regular basis when me and my siblings were at school and I never had them and neither did my siblings. I really don't remember headlice being such a problem when I was at school, I was never aware of anyone in my class having them.

When I had my two I would regularly check their hair. Lou got them once I think and so did I for the first time.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Return to “Speaker's Corner”