babychic

Cap of £26k for those on benefits

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Cap of £26k for those on benefits

#1 Unread post by nubs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16694991

Just watching Loose women and this topic came up, I can see what they are saying about capping this but do not think the inclusion of child benefit should be taken in with this cap but on the other hand, if for the first child you get £20 and then for each one after £13 - and then have 15 kids you are getting £200+ in child benefit per week which personally is a bit excessive as if you can't afford to have the kids then you shouldn't rely on this really,

I do think that when you think of £26k in benefits being equated to a salary of £35k that does seem a hell of a lot, (£2k a month) when in a majority of cases rent is paid, fee dental care, prescriptions costs etc are provided.

I think that there is no real way to separate those who play the system to those who generally need the help of benefits, I agree what the loose women are saying about encouraging single parents to work you need to introduce a childcare system, or low cost care.

I do know people that work, who are single parents but do not get any help so have to pay for their childcare, mortgage etc and on the flip side I know people who are would like to work, but are finding it hard to find suitable jobs.

Do you think this will affect many? what are your opinions? how can they pool people into groups or entitlements?

p.s I am not judging anyone as I know people that are struggling who are on benefits and those working but just surviving
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Cap of £26k for those on benefits

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 pm

£26k does seem a lot but I have to wonder how many people actually get this much - it seems like most are struggling to get by on a lot less. The two examples they use are including housing benefit in it too, so that covers rent etc.

I don't know really. I do understand the reasoning behind it, but I think there are probably better ways of saving money such as targeting the billions owed by corporations like Vodafone, as well as making it easier for people to get back to work, so for example bridging that gap between when someone is earning more on benefits than they would in work etc.

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Cap of £26k for those on benefits

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I thought they were looking to cap somewhere between £22-£25k. Seems to vary where you listen to it. I think they need to work out firstly how they are doing the cap, if they are including free school meals, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc.. into the amount, then I can see it will make alot of people alot worse off, however if they are saying it is £25/26k AFTER housing benefits, council tax benefits etc... then I see that as perfectly reasonable.

£26k works out to a average of £2,166 per month - which is more than my husband brings home. We manage to do things, have a mortgage, a car and pay the bills on one wage. Why should someone else who is sitting at home be pulling in more income for doing nothing than most families who go out to work and come home with alot less.

There is alot of pressure for single parents to get back to work once the youngest is 5 (HA when there isnt any jobs to go to + they need to pay childcare) - but the goverment are perfectly happy for 2 adults to sit at home as long as they have a child under 5 - this is where the problems are coming from!! Of course if you know your going to continue to be supported, your going to keep popping children out like they are smarties!! If however, the goverment said - ok you can have kids - as many as you want, but we're only going to fund up to ...x amount...then of course people are going to stop having so many kids and if they do, that will put them in a position where they need to get a job!

Families where 2 people are on benefits, need to be looked at first - why do 2 people need to be on benefits? Surely one can work while the other stays home and looks after the children if childcare is a issue. Jobs are few and far between, yes - but there are plenty of voluntary jobs which can be done, supporting families and patients in hospitals and nursing homes, helping at local schools - gaining the skills to help them look for another job, maybe in a different area.

I know I have digressed a bit, but I see so many people with 5 - 6 - 7 kids at the school, and as fast as they are coming out they are popping more out, and both parents tend to stay at home - well of course your going to have a bit of nookie if you can (theres only so much tv you can watch), but I see them with their kids with designer clothes and they ahve manicured fingers, and designer clothes themself and it does make me cross.

There are alwyas going to be exceptions - and PLEASE dont think this is aimed at ANYONE - cause its NOT - its just my opinion. There is so much the government are doing, which could be changed - we should adopt a policy like most other countries and not allow people to come here and claim benefits unnecessarily, we need to get people back into learning basic skills to help them support their familes, and we need to support single families which all this will probably hit the hardest.

Im sure I will upset someone - so I apologise now!

Return to “Speaker's Corner”