babychic

tattoo-ing/ear piercing your child

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

tattoo-ing/ear piercing your child

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Just read this and wondered what your views on it are? Don't want to start an argument just wondered what everone's individual opinions are? there is no right or wrong! :)

American dad, Eugene Ashley, has been fined $300 and ordered to serve a year on probation after pleading guilty to tattooing his son. The dad tattooed “DB” on the boy, who was 3 years old at the time.

The “DB” tattoo on the boy’s shoulder was spotted after the Department of Family and Children Services made a home visit to the family.

At the time of his arrest, Mr Ashley told police that “DB” had stood for “Daddy’s Boy.”

However the Judge hearing the case has questioned whether tattooing a child should be deemed as illegal

“I am trying to figure out why this is illegal. Is it illegal to pierce your little girl’s ears?” Judge Tami Colston told the courtroom

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: tattoo-ing/ear piercing your child

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of ear piercing, but it's mainly because I haven't ever pierced my own ears so wouldn't have wanted that choice to be taken away from me. If someone else wants to it doesn't really bother me though, it's just not something I would opt for myself if that makes sense.

Tattooing on the other hand seems completely different. At least with earrings you can take them out if you don't want them. I know you can remove tattoos but it's not exactly an easy process. To do it to a child seems like branding. It just seems so cruel.

Schmushe
Blissful

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I have pierced Alexas ears (and it was something that happened to me at a very early age too - better to do them early, less painful and better to keep clean and infection free). Although I do understand parents who wait to give the child the choice when they are older and able to take care of them themselves.

Ear piercing is something that if she doesnt like, can be removed and the holes may close / re-open at a later time. Luckily Alexa loves her earrings so its not an issue. But I would happily remove them if there was.

Tattoo'ing is a different matter - you cant easily remove a tattoo, and those who have one, know its not a nice pain (ear piercing is a sharp pain but over quickly), tattoo'ing is something thats uncomfy for a while, and even now I remember the buzzing vibrating feel on my wrist.

I would NEVER dream of tattoo'ing my child - I know in some cultures they do from a very early age, but the man in question never mentioned it was a cultural thing!!

mummy_linda
Explorer
Explorer

#4 Unread post by mummy_linda » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I'd never do either to my child/ren.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10726;443/st/20080829/n/Ethan/dt/5/k/497b/age.png[/img]
[/url]

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#5 Unread post by nubs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm

If I had a girl then I would let her have her ears pierced young I was 6 mths and don't see anything wrong but tattoo no way I don't like the transfer ones either if they choose to do it at 18 then that's their choice x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#6 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 am

im all with piercing ears. i was piecered at three days??? i was still in hospital lol (my aunt did it) not sure why they couldnt wait for me to get home??? maybe as i was so small (I KNOW LOL) didnt know if i was coming home? i dont know?

But anything perm i dont think is fair. i must admit i am not a fan on tattoos. i just dont understand why people want to perm mark there bodys with a fashion or fad to only regreat it 10 years down line.
famous people dont help with all the art work over them. just think what david beckhams artwork will look like when he is 70 and all saggy and its lost its colour a bit...even that wouldnt look good!!
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

Schmushe
Blissful

#7 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 am

I have tattoos on my wrist (those who have met me have seen) and they are used as a memory. I have 2 stars, both indicating people in my life who I have lost. I will be having more done in memory of Nathan too once I have decided what to get and where.

I know a memory is in your heart and in your mind, but it is also nice to have something obvious that you can use too!!

My hubbie has 4 tattoos, and will also be getting one for Nathan. He currently has a Liverpool logo (his other love), Josh and Alexas names in chinese and 'soulmate' in chinese (for me). All the things he has done are things close to his heart!!

I do know people that have got tons of things and have tattoos just for the sake of it, and they are over the age of consent and therfore their choice. The child in question isnt and therfore doesnt have the option about having a permanant scar on his body!

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#8 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

I personally don't like tattooes but that is just my own preference and I don't like the transfers either and certaintly wouldn't tattoo my children. Earrings I had done at about 12 with both my brothers having one of their ears done to lol and Abigail got hers done when she was 7 I think but I didn't realise you had to leave them in for months as i had forgotten and she refused to put anymore in so the holes have closed up and she will only get it done now if i get the numbing cream first which i might do at some point. I took my earrings out years ago but i used to have 3 in each ear. I wouldn't let Dill have it done and I would in hine site have gotten Abigail's done when she was a baby as it would have been easier.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#9 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

I dont mind ear piercing. I got Rubys done in January when she was 15months old. All i got from her was a little wimper and then she was in a better mood than usual for the whole day. I dont like seeing tiny babies with ears pierced though. Nor do i like big earrings on babies and toddlers. I saw OH's brothers baby girl the other day (havent seen her since she was a month old as him and his bro dont talk) and shes only 9months and had chunky looped earrings in. It looked so wrong.

I also dont mind tattooing, but i think getting your child tattooed is so wrong. Something permanent should be a choice made by yourself and no one else. Besides that, tattooing a 3 year old is so cruel. I didnt find my tattoos painful, but i know alot of people do, and i am 99% certain that it would hurt a 3 year old, and like Michelle said, it is a prolonged pain unlike ear piercing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

#10 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Got to say at the risk of upsetting people, that I can't stand the thought of either. I have tattoos and piercings but I made the decision to have all of these at an older age. I think i was 13 or 14 before I had my ears pierced, 16 when I had my lip pierced (caused a huge row with mum!) and 21 when I had my tattoo. I think a child should be able to chose for themselves whether they have any form of body modification. I respect parents choice if they want to get their kids ears pierced but tattooing a 3yr old? I would feel just isn't right.

As much as at the time I hated the fact my mum would let me get piercings or tattoos, I am thankful in hinesight; I was not mature enough to make that decision. In fact even at 21 my tattoo turned out to be a silly mistake! I now have a visable hole in my lip which is unlikely to ever go away (my students notice it) and a tattoo of someones name I would quite happily never have to lay eyes on again! I still like tattoos and piercings but just think any individual should have the chance to think very carefully about it before making the decision, and I'm pretty sure that three year old didn't say 'hey Dad, I've considered this carefully and I really want you to tattoo me'!

Kj x

Essex Mums Book Challenge 8/25
Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R R Martin

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

I have a tattoo that i had done when i was 18 and i can hide it but i wish i hadn't had it done and while i don't dislike some tattoos i think there are some horrid ones about and that is ridiculous having it done to a child. I wasn't allowed my ears pierced until i was 12 and i was fine with that and i'm not sure what age i will get connies done it depends when and if she asks but without wanting to offend anyone i don't like it on babies or children under 7. I saw a baby get her ears pierced in claires and she was about 6 months and screaming her poor head off and it made me feel angry. And boys with one ear pierced is nasty (again sorry if i offend anyone)

Schmushe
Blissful

#12 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Alexa has had hers done for years now, and she loves hers or I would of taken them out, she is a very girly girl so fits her image lol

I had my ears done when I was about 1, and my nose pierced at 14 (rebelling), Got the top of my ear pierced at 16, and got my tattoo done on my wrist at about 27!! (Took me that long to pluck up the courage). I chose the wrist (normally people put them places that can be covered) - but this was my choice. A hole from a piercing closes up (it may still be visable), but a tattoo is there forever (even removal isnt as good as they make out).
I will have some more tattoos - but to me they are meaningful. Each star on my wrist (only 2) represents something.

supasista
Baby
Baby

#13 Unread post by supasista » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I think tattoos and ear piercings are two totally different things. Tattoos are permanent, ear piercings are not. Tattoos are more painful too. Personally, I have piercings and both my daughters had ear piercings done when they were both babies. While we can argue that having ear piercings done for children (girls) is a matter of choice. Tattooing a child is just plain wrong.

Abi
Baby
Baby

#14 Unread post by Abi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm

I think ear piercing is a chmompletely individual choice for every parent. I have 4 holes in each ear but wouldn't want to get my childrens ears done yet. If the girls say they would like theirs done when thay are older i think i would say for their 10th birthday as it's double figures!!! Special present for a special birthday :)

Tattooing a child on the other hand is not on in my opinion. I myself have tattoos as i chose to do so but a child doesn't have the kowledge to understand fully what they want, which is why they need guiding! I recently had my wedding bouquet and the childrens names tattooed over my shoulder and it was painful for a week or so after. Personaaly think it's cruel to inflict that kind of unneeded discomfort on a child. x
Happily married to Gord. 3 gorgeous children...Oscar, Roxanne and Summer.x

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#15 Unread post by Gina73 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I agree with most of you, I would not get Mia's ears pierced until she is of the age to make a decision herself. I was about 10 I think when I had my ears pierced. I didnt get my naval pierced until I was in my late 20's and my 2 tattoos done soon after.

Tattooing a child is a completely different story and I think is so wrong, that 3 year old is going to be left with that for the rest of his life unless he goes down the route of having it cosmetically removed and from my understanding will leave a mark.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

Return to “Speaker's Corner”