babychic

Vitamins for Toddlers

For discussion about healthy living, recipe advice and more.
mummy2jayden
Weight-loss Supremo

Vitamins for Toddlers

#1 Unread post by mummy2jayden » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I was recently looking into whether it is necessary to give toddlers vitamins? I know I was curious about giving jayden a vitamin C supplement as i dont think he gets any apart from every now and then a glass of orange juice but then im not sure of what other foods have a good amount of vitamin C in. Is it truecertain vitamins help fight off colds or help to prevent getting them?

Would you put your toddler on vitamin supplements?
Mummy To Gorgeous 2 Year Old Jayden

Total Weight Lost: 6st 8lb ... 10lb to go!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I personally wouldn't put my toddler on vitamins. I am pretty certain that they do help your immune system but even so I would not put William on any kind of supplement at the moment.

I remember as a child - probably about 5-6 - my mum gave us a vitamin c supplement - I think it was oralyte or something - a powder that mixed with water made a juice. However - my mum only gave us this because we couldn't afford orange juice and we really didn't eat any veg at all.

I had a really good link to a site for vitamins and nutrients. I will see if I can find it?

Schmushe
Blissful

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Josh has been on a multi vit plus omega 3 supplement since he was 2, I went for the multi vitamin option to make sure he had plenty of everything and wasnt lacking in any areas. The Omega 3 for memory and concentration since 2.5.

Alexa has a multi vit syrup as she wont have the jelly type vitamin, she doesnt really like the taste, so its mixed with a drink.

I personally will keep my kids on them, and eventually Alexa will have Omega 3 too

As for vitamin c supplements - dont get the ones that dissolve in the mouth as they are known to cause tooth decay. A chewy jelly type one is best

If you struggle with colds over the winter period, try New Era 4 for colds and coughs, its homeopathic so from boots, holland and barratt, and you have a couple of dissolvable tiny pills on the tongue, and it helps if you have them from onsset of colds / temps, helps to lower temps quick and you can take them every few hours - I love them, and always keep some in the house.

Jeanette
The Nanny

#4 Unread post by Jeanette » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 pm

I used to give my two multivitamins in drop form. They could be added to their drink.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

mummy2jayden
Weight-loss Supremo

#5 Unread post by mummy2jayden » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Any idea where I can get it in drop form? I think this would be best for jayden

Schmushe
Blissful

#6 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Anywhere - pharmacy, asda, tesco - etc... Just check on the back it is suitable, I prefer the one that is once a day - thinkmAlexas one is 5ml per day

Not to pry (I dont know your situation obviously) but my friend has milk tokens from the government and she said they are starting to offer multi vitamin drops for children soon, so it might be that if you were on the same thing that you would get them for free.

kerrib
Toddler
Toddler

#7 Unread post by kerrib » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:18 pm

jake is 2 and half and has been on multi vit since he was two as i can not get alot of fruit or veg down him apart from jucie and i found he was always ill colds, temp ect.
since he has been on the vit he hasnt been ill.
my health vistors said to try him on themhe has the jelly one and he just thinks its a sweet so takes it fine everyday
EssexMums Reading Challenge 408/20,100 pages read
Currently reading: Damaged
read so far this year: Daddys little earner.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:35 am

oooh - had no idea that so many people made their children take them? I will have to discuss this with DH? hmmm.... interesting.

mummy2jayden
Weight-loss Supremo

#9 Unread post by mummy2jayden » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks for the info and michelle I do get them so its nice to know I might well be getting these free soon. I looked on boots website but I couldnt see them in drop form, although I probably didnt look very well knowing me!

Jayden will eat veg usually no problem but fruit is more of a tricky one and ive found recently he is getting more fussy with veg where as before he would eat anything you gave him. Im finding myself having to give him a cup full of fruit juice a day (not from concentrate) to try make up his 5 a day

Schmushe
Blissful

#10 Unread post by Schmushe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

Some places do the drop form or some do a sugar free syrup, it is usually orange flavored, and comes like calpol, the one we have is quite a big bottle and we pay about £4.00 every 6-8 weeks. Like I said beofre there are some jelly type multi vitamins which can be eaten from 2 years old, but you need to check the back.

I know you said you were struggling with the 5 a day, but remember it doesnt have to be vegtables (Josh hates them too, although he now eats them becasue hes older and is told too) :wink:
According to the Change for Life book I have - it can be fresh, frozen, canned, dried or juiced fruits and veg.
Have you tried adding grated carrot and chopped onion to a spag bol sauce with a tin of chopped tomatos? (thats 3 straight away) - sometimes adding things too potatos (like mushed cauli in mash) - they are less liekly to taste.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 am

when we make mince at Scouts- we also grate courgette into it - that's another easy one! So 4 for spag bol plus maybe mushrooms chopped up small making 5 in one meal or even aubergine can be chopped really really small so that it is hidden? Mince is great for vegetables!

Pineapple is another one that a lot of children like (WIlliam doesn't) you can get it tinned and make it into squares and stick a fork in it or a cocktail stick to make it fun?

Jeanette
The Nanny

#12 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Jeanette wrote:I used to give my two multivitamins in drop form. They could be added to their drink.
I think they were called Abidec or something like that. As the children got older we used the chewy ones which are like jelly babies.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

mummy2jayden
Weight-loss Supremo

#13 Unread post by mummy2jayden » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Jayden does prefer veg over fruit but we are slowly getting there with the fruit. persiverance is everything lol

Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

#14 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:09 pm

i use boots multivitamin syrup for my two as they wont eat vegetables

mitchellmonkey
Achiever
Achiever

#15 Unread post by mitchellmonkey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:00 pm

I gave mitch multi vitimens, they were like little fruit pastles without the sugar on but i found they made him constipated so stopped them tried again a few months later and it happened again so now i won't give them to him, it may have nothing to do with it though x

For your high quality fragrances and make up or to join our growing team of distributors visit www.myfmbusiness.com/nickygrant

Return to “Health Talk”