babychic

What's Happening This School Year?

The place for general conversation. Share the events of your day, something funny that happened to you or just the general ramblings of your mind.
weezypops
Site Guru

What's Happening This School Year?

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi everyone, thought it would be nice to have a little catch up and see what the kids are all up to this year!

We have a busy year ahead I think, Felix is going into year six, which just seems crazy. His teacher is Mrs Fox who I don't know at all so it will be interesting to see. He's in pretty much the same class as last year though in year six they split them into five classes instead of four, so five of the kids have opted to join the new class. It means they have a nice small class, which is great! He's with some of his best friends and had a really great year last year so is happy about that. He's going to be taking the 11+ in September and wants to go to Westcliff, though I am more keen on Southend. Obviously it depends on how he does though - we are keeping our fingers crossed. He's been doing well in practices but you just never know, do you? They are also going on their year six residential at the end of september so it's going to be a full on month!

Iris is going into year four and has her first male teacher: Mr Fletcher. Her class has been mixed for the first time since reception, so I think it's going to be a big change for her. She's happy with who she has in her class though - doesn't have her best friend with her but has some others she is close to, so that should be good.

Dexter is starting reception this year! I can't quite believer it! He's really looking forward to it and has lots of friends from pre-school starting with him too - about 25 in total I think! They are split across the four classes but he has a few in his class with him. He's very excited to start, though I'm not sure he realises he won't be in class with Felix and Iris!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: What's Happening This School Year?

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Helloooo

Well William is also heading into year 6. So grown up. His class has been completely split - he is pretty lonely most of the time anyway but he is fine about it - it might be a good thing? Also doing the 11+ - I am counting down to when it is over - 23 days to go! Will be pleased when it is done and over - really wishing I made him do work towards it and beginning to regret the fact that we haven't done any classes/groups - I feel under-prepared and like I haven't done enough - but he seems fine about it and it is what it is and what it will be! He doesn't seem bothered either way and he thought Southchurch School was fine at the open evening/ school merge trip that they did so he isn't bothered where he goes next year.

James is going into year 2. Same class as last year - it really is a lovely class. New teacher to the school so wait and see. James doesn't really talk at school or anywhere apart from home so it's really hard for him to show that he can actually do stuff. THe school said he was 'shy' but I think he needs help with it as he needs to talk in public/to his teacher. I'm also a bit worried about the toiletting as they don't have in-class toilets in year 2 but have to go down the corridor - James still has toilet issues :( Also worried about the food stuff too - in our school - (Infants) the children HAVE to have school dinners and James comes out very hungry most days and hates the food - he has food issues - some say fussy bit he eats well at home and just cannot cope when out (we're not there to help) and of course the lack of food/how healthy it is at lunch time affects his toiletting so it will get worse as the weeks go on :(

I'm feeling rather negative about both of them this year - part of me really wishes I was able to home school them.

However - there are positives - for example - they both absolutely love school and can't wait to go back. They are very excited for the new term. Super proud of them!

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:07 pm

It's got to be a good thing that they are enjoying it, though it does sound stressful for you.

With regards to dinners, would the school consider a cold option? At Chalkwell they can choose a cold option if they don't like the hot lunch that day. It's just rolls and a salad bar but is good for the ones who don't always like what's on offer.

As for the 11+, it's good he's not too worried. Felix liked Chase when he visited but it isn't a great choice! It's hard as so many of his friends want to go to the grammars too so he really wants to. If you are worried about prep, you could always buy the Bonds practise books - they're really good and quite close to what they do on the test. Or you can buy previous test packs online too.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm

They took away the cold option. :(. He has managed so far and only one more year before Juniors and being able to take a packed lunch in! But it feels wrong to be wishing the year away!

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 pm

So strange they won't let them take a packed lunch or give them that option! Most infants at Chalkwell have the school meal option but they have the choice!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:04 am

And the thing is almost all parents think it's great and don't seem to understand that the school has taken away the parent choice. Ah well - in James words (from yesterday) 'in 52 weeks I can have a lunch box which is about 9,000 hours!' - not that he is counting down or anything! :D

Jeanette
The Nanny

#7 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 am

Ahhhh, bless him.
As Lou said, at least they are both feeling ok about things.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Schmushe
Blissful

#8 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi.
Long time no post
Josh went into year 10. He's now decided he wants to join the police force so taking his options based around that. New year means a change from green uniform to red.
Alexa too is in year 6. She takes the 11+ this weekend and tbh we don't have any tutors either. She goes out of class twice a week for paper preparation and that's it! If it's meant to be she'll pass without masses of prep and tutoring. She loves SHSG but also now happy to go to SHS (think we saw you Jenn). So the sooner it's over the better.
Still does endlessness hours of Ballet which keeps me busy.
Kacey pooch is still growing and causing mischief.
That's about it I think. Nearly Christmas!!

Return to “A Bit of a Chat”