babychic

Sunny Sunday

The place for general conversation. Share the events of your day, something funny that happened to you or just the general ramblings of your mind.
Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Sunny Sunday

#1 Unread post by Gina73 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:23 am

Morning all. Today is looking alot bright out there today. Yesterday was a miserable day, rained non stop and the winds were gale force. The only time I left the house was to do a Tesco shop.

Steve is at work, he works Sunday through to Wednesday so have a 3 day weekend. I have just emailed nursery to take Mason out of nursery on a Friday as Steve hardly ever gets asked to work on a Friday and they have stopped any overtime as from this week. We need to reduce our outgoings somewhere, have been looking at cheaper rental properties and the only other saving would be Masons nursery. Will be happy as from September when he will be school age and that is one bill we will loose.

No plans today, Steve took the car with him as he had to be at work at 7.30 and both kids were still soundo. Means I am car less for the day but have plenty here to keep me busy. Need to iron Mias uniform for the week.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Sunny Sunday

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Afternoon, bit of a slow start for us - the kids got up earlier and let us lie in which was much needed.

Just had some bacon, eggs and beans made by Kester and now getting on with some work. Felix is up tidying his pit of a room and the others are listening to a story.

Looks like a lovely crisp day out there - I bet it's cold though!

What are your secondary choices like down where you are Gina? Have you had to start thinking about it already? It's surprised me how much people have started talking about the seniors already now that Felix has gone into year 4. I wasn't expecting it to come up yet but suddenly it's all been about the 11+. Felix is going to start doing some tutoring sessions with his teacher in a week or two. I think it's too early really but his teacher pointed out that it can't hurt, and said the way he looks at it is that when you have an obvious grammar candidate, if they didn't get a place wouldn't you wonder if you could have done more to help them. Anyway, it should be nice for him as he likes his teacher and is keen to do it. Apparently Chalkwell got the best 11+ results in the area this year (for state schools) so that's good.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm one of those mums that doesn't agree with tutoring their child to pass. I think if your child is grammar school material they don't need it and should pass on their own merit. Teds in yr 5 now and has 2 mornings at west cliff high to see if he will be alright taking the test and he's starting English and maths club and has s 1 day summer school for it. I have the books and he will do some 10 minute tests in the run up. Loads of mums I know spent thousands of pounds tutoring their children who still didn't pass. Ted will go to Shiebury whatever the outcome he is the same as connie who is in the top set of everything but would be the bottom at a grammar.
One of the boys at Greenways got the 3rd highest pass in Essex 373 or something and you wouldn't of ever thought it of him.
I've done sod all today apart from walk bud. My brother is here from Dubai so we are out for dinner.
Connies at roller city and the boys with John.x

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Yeah, I do agree Rachel and felt a little uncomfortable about it at first but it does seem like most people at Chalkwell are getting tutors for their child which obviously sways my opinion a bit!

I spoke to his teacher about it, hoping he would say the same as I felt - that they wouldn't need it if they were bright enough and he said that he wished it was as simple as that but that it wasn't and that he would recommend tutoring just to brush up on what they know and help them get used to the style of the test etc. especially if they are a child who 'should' pass. His teacher basically said he wouldn't tutor children to pass - they he'll only take ones he thinks are good candidates anyway, which made me feel a bit better - they'd have to already be achieving a certain level and looking like they won't have any trouble with it and he will help round out what they already know. I think if you're just tutoring to pass you're setting your child up for a fall when it comes to going to a grammar as they will always struggle and be bottom of the class when they could be top at a comprehensive.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Felix has always been bright hasn't he and so is probably grammar material. Mine are bright but very sporty and sociable and personality wise I think they suit comprehensive better.
One of johns friends kids was tutored to pass and by the second term was having counselling as she's an anxious worrier so not sure grammar was best for her!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:45 pm

I agree too about the 11plus - Jack's school offer familiarisation classes, so that the understand what is expected and key things to do, he is also going to two mornings at westcliff, I know parents who have tutored their children or had tutors and blown their trumpets to everyone that their child will pass the test and they put their child/den under so much pressure that they went to pieces and didn't do well at all, they have said Jack is a good candidate but I am not bothered if he sits it or not totally his choice.
Sam had a match this morning which they won, he was feeling under the weather so thought he might not do too well but he done a blinding save at one point bless him Then we went shopping
Still waiting on the people we are buying from to find a house, but our sale and purchase are at the point to discuss exchange dates so god knows when we will move
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Kris where will you live if your sale goes through?

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Yeah, I know kids/parents like that too. Luckily Felix is very laid back when it comes to tests so I can't imagine him being that anxious. About a quarter of the year go to the grammars from Chalkwell so there's a good chance his friends will go as they are all top set etc so that's the main reason he wants to go! I think it would be a good environment for him, though his teacher said he's the sort of boy who will fit in anywhere which is always good to hear!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#9 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 pm

Brendan Way x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Connie and Ted are like that they don't care about taking the 11+.
Kris is Jack going on the 30th and 6th to west cliff?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#11 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

27th Feb and 5th March X
Kris, Jack & Sam
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 pm

That's where Kathleen lives!!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#13 Unread post by Jeanette » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Evening ladies.
Nice to see some chatting on here again.
I read somewhere recently that more children from outside the area are getting grammar places than the locals. Things must have changed from when mine were 11+ age. My two did test papers at home and had some extra help at school. One went to grammar, the other to the comp but both did well and went to uni.
Sky has been problem free today thank goodness.
I've done the Sunday crosswords.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#14 Unread post by nubs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:07 pm

There are different sets of criteria now Jeanette - they sit the test in September get a score in October and the you apply for the schools and you find out in April, from my understanding there is a pass rate then a seperate score set by each school, then a score for out of area all very complex compared to our day when you passed and went to grammer or didn't pass and went to your local school.
Kris, Jack & Sam
[/url]

Jeanette
The Nanny

#15 Unread post by Jeanette » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Blimey, it is isn't it. Used go round looking at schools September, then apply for places, tested in Jan/Feb, results just before the summer break.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Return to “A Bit of a Chat”