babychic

Online PC Care - WARNING!

Feel you or your family have been treated badly or something just isn't up to scratch? Have a rant here - you never know, maybe we can help!
weezypops
Site Guru

Online PC Care - WARNING!

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm

This is as much a warning as a rant in case they're calling other numbers in the area.

I had a call today from someone from a company called Online PC Care (or at least he claimed that was the name). He started by implying that he somehow could tell that my computer was infected with some bad files that I'd got by using the internet and claimed that he was calling on behalf of Windows, making sure all Windows users were aware of this problem. It all sounded pretty fishy to me and I didn't believe a word of it - he knew nothing about my computer or me (and I certainly didn't tell him) and was saying stuff that I just knew wasn't true or was impossible.

When I asked him their website address/company name he told me, and they do have a website (albeit a shonky one) so I don't know whether the whole thing is a scam or if the people doing the cold calling are claiming to be from an otherwise legitimate company. Anyway, a quick google showed that lots of people had received calls from them and that what they do is get you to bring up an error message that supposedly backs up what they're saying then convince you to give them remote access to your PC, which then gives them access to all your details etc.

Here's someone's blog post about what they do: http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2010/04/on ... ed-me.html
He went through this process with me but I didn't let him get past the 'look at your keyboard' bit before saying it was ridiculous and handing him over to Felix.

Here's some other stuff about them (they use other names too so be warned):
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=66000013
http://uk.promo.web.id/anyone-else-had- ... r-computer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... m-computer

and this on the Microsoft website:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... b94bbe7d84

Seems a lot of people have had these calls and some have even fallen for it. He was fairly convincing. Well, it was obviously rubbish but even when I called him a scammer he tried to deny it and stayed on the phone rather than just hanging up.

Just thought I'd let you all know - please pass this on or let others know as I can imagine a lot of people getting caught out by it.

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Online PC Care - WARNING!

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Bet felix had an interesting chat.

Cheers for the warning.

Isabella
Difficult Teenager
Difficult Teenager

#3 Unread post by Isabella » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 am

I bet I know who was the more intelligent one in the conversation between the caller and Felix - and it wasn't the caller!

Remote access is always a bad idea unless it is by someone you KNOW is legitimate as they can keep access to your computer.

onlinepccare
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by onlinepccare » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 am

Before knowing the fact please do not post this kind of information..

We are a legit company and provide all the software solution for windows base computers. for any further queries you can post your comment on this site. forum heading is ONLINEPCCARE.

Thanks and Regards,
OnlinePCcare.

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

Oh I think I know the facts, thank you! After my phone call from you I did a lot more research and was not surprised to find a wealth of other people scammed by you.

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#6 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am

I've had these people phone at least once every 3 days for the last at least 6 mnths. i have caller id and when it comes up out of area i don't bother answering it anymore.

I've been told if i pay a certain amount of money a month if anything goes wrong with my comp i will get a brand new one, I thought thats what i paid pc world for each month.
Leanne and children xxxx

poppyandben'smum:)
Settler
Settler

#7 Unread post by poppyandben'smum:) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

I had one of these calls the other day and when I yold the guy on the phone Iwasn't the primary user of the computer he thanked me for my time and hung up! Looks like they're doing the rounds again!
Charlotte
xxx
When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars x

lauraannek
Expectant
Expectant

#8 Unread post by lauraannek » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

looks like their spelling and grammer use isnt too good either lol, will warn james about this one although my brother is a computer programmer so he generally fixes most things for us anyway and if he doesnt james best friend does.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

weezypops
Site Guru

#9 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Wow, and now this company who claim to be legitimate, that they don't cold-call or lie (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary as well as personal experience) are sending me threatening emails about this post - hilarious!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:02 pm

no way? a whole year since the original post?

hmmmm - i'd be tempted to write to one of those programmes- like don't get done get dom, and those things!

Return to “Have your say!”