babychic

Whats your excuse?

Feel you or your family have been treated badly or something just isn't up to scratch? Have a rant here - you never know, maybe we can help!
artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Whats your excuse?

#1 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Tom goes to a nursery with over 50 children who attend weekly. They often run events for charity or run competitions and are always asking for things to be saved or brought in such as loo rolls for craft etc.

They send out a termly newsletter telling the parents what days events are happening, when the kids need to be dressed up and what they are on the scrounge for. There is usually one dress up day a term, a competition and something they are after. Not too much in my opinion.

Now I am a very busy mummy as those of you who know me will agree, but I will always make sure I make the effort to ensure Tom has the right clothes to wear for fancy dress, takes in some plant pots in the summer to grow sunflowers in and enters the competitions (have you seen my peapod Christmas decs on facebook ;-) )

However...........on special days there are only ever a handfull of children in costume and I never see other parents taking items in. I have every faith I'll win the Christmas competition, not because our entry is great (although it is) but because we will probably be the only family who enter.

What are these parents excuses? Surely it's in the best interest of their children to take part? Are they just lazy or can they really not be bothered?

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:24 pm

It does seem a shame. I have to admit, the kids were encouraged to wear fancy dress at Debutots on monday and mine didn't, but in my defence it was because we hadn't been the week before and I only found out ont he saturday or sunday when Helena mentioned it! So I didn't really have the time nor the inclination to go out and get something.

I wonder if a lot of parents see it as extra expense and that the school is trying to get something out of them?

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 pm

A lot of the time it's things such as wearing PJ's to nursery or saving toilet rolls. Nothing that takes time or effort and yet it's still not done.

As for this months competition they gave us a salt dough recipe and encouraged us to make decorations for the tree with our children. Salt, flour and water. All obtainable for under a pound in the value aisle.

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm

This is something that has always been a issue for us too, we always make an effort, whether its dying Joshuas hair the brightest shade of red, or making sure family and friends buy raffle tickets or cakes at the bake sale. I even made a lion outfit and painted Joshs face as a lion for nursery and there was 3 of them dressed up!! Madness!

It is so sad to see some of the children participating, and others in uniform for example, and its always the same ones, but the same applies to extra curricular homework in holidays, easter hats etc.. (I always try to be different so instead of a bonnet we made a bunny hat out of tights etc..)

It used to be that people blamed not knowing on the reason why they didnt participate, but now the school send out text reminders - so there is no excuse!!

It may seem a inconvience but I think its a big part of their education, participating in things will help them as they grow and be more likely to make a effort.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#5 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm

I often wonder this too...

As most of you know, I am on the school PSA, and am always involved in the school's activities and such.

I am always taking in bits and pieces for the school's use: Goodies for the fetes, bits to raise money, and most recently, I bought a shed-load of chocolate so that Charli's class would win a competition at the school (class with the highest weight of chocolate won - and we did!). I make sure she is able to take part in all the school activities (trips, dress up/down days, sponsered events etc) and even go as far as involve myself in these activities where I can (eg dressing as an elf for the Christmas Fete the other weekend, and again on Tuesday for the Christmas parties!).

And like Claire, I see lots of other children that are in uniform on non-uniform days, or having to make do on reserve bits because they haven't brought in things themselves and so on.

Again, as Claire said, alot of it is really simple things, like taking in recycling items (which I am under the impression most households now have to seperate their waste into recycling/non-recycling etc), or wearing non-uniform (usually costs just 50p-£1). There isn't generally most cost involved, and it gives the children a chance to be involved in something fun and exciting.
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Schmushe
Blissful

#6 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I can appreciate the cost of things sometimes is a issue, I know Joshs school is ALWAYS asking for money, and one month I think we paid out close to £15.00 plus money for after school activities etc... Yes it is good for them, but the flip side is not everyone can afford it.

Taking in household refuse shouldnt be a issue though, but continual paying out sometimes is...especially when you have more than 1 at school that you need to pay out for.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Ahh i agree tho its always the same people taking things in and fund raising at Jacks preschool inc.
I am also on the committee for the preschool to help fund raise and help out when ever im needed which in a way is lovely as i no im helping his preschool. We certainly do our bit and dress lil man up and donate for raffles etc, shame others dont feel the same. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#8 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Schmushe wrote:I can appreciate the cost of things sometimes is a issue, I know Joshs school is ALWAYS asking for money, and one month I think we paid out close to £15.00 plus money for after school activities etc... Yes it is good for them, but the flip side is not everyone can afford it.
Oh yeah, I fully understand that money can mount up, however when it's something like a non-uniform day, that costs 50p-£1, it's really nominal amount, and means your child is involved and not pushed out.

I'm not exactly flush with money, but Charli is always involved in the school's activities, and I find it very sad when you see children not involved :(
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I have a big cupboard full of toilet rolls just waiting for when William starts going to Nursery! (Don't tell my DH tho - he will go crazy!) I am really looking forward to helping out and encouraging William with bits at school. Making costumes, easter bonnets and animals out of vegetables!

A lot of parents I know just use the excuse of 'I forgot' which is okay once but not every time!!

I am the same as Louise mind you - The children were encouraged to dress up a few weeks ago at Tumble Tots and I didn't bother :( Mainly because William LOVES his yellow T-shirt and would hate not wearing it one day and secondly it is not practical in my opinion to wear 'costumes' as you are doing something so active! Bad mummy :( although justified?????

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#10 Unread post by Clairebear » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I must confess, I am one of the 'bad parents'. And in my case, 'I forgot' is not just an excuse. Sometimes I do remember and we do participate but I am a very disorganised person and 9 times out of 10, I really do forget. I would rather concentrate the little memory I have on making sure that Ashleigh does her homework and takes it in to school on the right day to hand in.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Do you use a diary or a calender Claire? i appreciate homework has to come first, but do the kids not feel that they are missing out when all their friends are taking part in activities?

Jenn - Check with nursery as they might not be able to use toilet rolls for hygiene purposes (crazy I know). If not dont throw them though as your childrens centre will probably be able to use them.

Schmushe
Blissful

#12 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:51 pm

lea-angel wrote:
Schmushe wrote:I can appreciate the cost of things sometimes is a issue, I know Joshs school is ALWAYS asking for money, and one month I think we paid out close to £15.00 plus money for after school activities etc... Yes it is good for them, but the flip side is not everyone can afford it.
Oh yeah, I fully understand that money can mount up, however when it's something like a non-uniform day, that costs 50p-£1, it's really nominal amount, and means your child is involved and not pushed out.
Not trying to justify it, but if you have more than 1 child at school something that is 50p - £1 soon becomes more..... if on average a non school uniform day for example is £1 (which seems to be the going rate atm), and you have 4 children at school thats £4 for them to wear their own clothes!! Most parents at Joshs school are on benefits so £4 is alot to some people. Yes they need to feel included, but when you dont have alot of money £4 is proabbly alot for some.

I am not saying that is the reason for everyone, and I am sure some people are just lazy and cant be bothered or too forgetful :roll:

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#13 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 pm

I dont really think this is about the financial things so much. All of the requests we get from nursery dont involve money yet still the parents dont bother

Bumble
Difficult Teenager
Difficult Teenager

#14 Unread post by Bumble » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 am

Im with artyfarty on this one! We had pj day at nursery a few weeks ago, donation of 50p if you could, I know some people didn't donate but still put kids in pjs, others didn't even bother with the pjs. I felt sorry for these kids they missed out all b'cos parents forgot or didn't bother to put them in pjs even tho we got reminded the day before and there was a big note on the entrance door!

weezypops
Site Guru

#15 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I do remember at school how on non-uniform days there were always a few kids in uniform and they were so embarrassed. I always felt sorry for them.

Return to “Have your say!”