babychic

Fairfax Drive Play Space

Feel you or your family have been treated badly or something just isn't up to scratch? Have a rant here - you never know, maybe we can help!
weezypops
Site Guru

Fairfax Drive Play Space

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Has anyone been here? It's the little park at the Westbourne Grove end of Fairfax Drive, and it's really quite shoddy. It used to just be a fairly run down, dirty park, but at least it was there. Over the last six months to a year the council have been doing it up, with great looking equipment like that at Chalkwell Park. It's looked finished since about July yet has been locked since then for no apparent reason. Of course the teenagers just climb over the fence to get in and as a result it's looking really dirty and graffittied again as no-one is going in to clean it etc. either - and no kids can get in there to play! I've been over there three times with Felix hoping it would be open, only to find the gates locked again.

This morning he got so upset about it and spent the whole way home crying asking me to open the gate. Poor little fellow.

Okay, rant over. I think I'm going to write to the council about it and wondered if anyone else had been there/had anything to add.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm

I haven't been there - I'm afraid - but it doesn't sound right. If you want to find the address/person at the council - I'd also be happy to write to them. (I've discovered recently that they sometimes don't respond to one letter alone!)

Also actually - my sister sent the council an e-mail about the fence around our local park - there was a hole which teenagers used to get in after closing time. The hole was quite big and opened onto a steep hill and a main road. The council came within a week and put a makeshift barrier up. (Unfortunately the youths round here destroyed it with a few days) but the council did at least respond quickly!

janew
Tween
Tween

#3 Unread post by janew » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Doesn't make any sense at all. I've just discovered that Priory Park and Chalkwell Park are never locked now!!! I often walk our dog in Chalkwell Park in the morning and there's often rubbish left lying around, empty booze bottles, etc.
Best wishes,
Jane.

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 pm

How odd - I am sure we have driven past on a weekend and seen kids playing in there, but maybe like you said they have climbed over the top.
How silly to have a park but keep the gates locked!!

It seems every park has a element of litter, alcohol bottles etc... Before we moved here we got told to be careful in Shoebury parks as often there would be used needles and things! (That certainly put me off going to local parks!!)

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Michelle - the last time we tried to go there were a load of older kids in there so I thought it was open but when I tried the gates it was locked. One of the lads told me they'd just climbed over. I don't blame them really!

Jane - I've always found Chalkewell to be quite clean - perhaps they're good at getting the rubbish clearer up before the kids get there!

janew
Tween
Tween

#6 Unread post by janew » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 pm

There was someone out clearing up the rubbish in Chalkwell Park this morning.
I find it hard to believe that the kids who hang around in the parks at night really have nothing else to do, nowhere to go. Must be a cultural thing, ie they choose to be there rather than have no option.
Best wishes,
Jane.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:51 pm

If you go to Priory park earlyish - there is often lots of rubbish and glass bottles, beer cans lying around - it really puts you off going again - it's especially hard when our children don't realise why we are not letting them play!

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm

So this park is finally open now and we popped in there today. I think it's been open a couple of months now but didn't want to risk walking down there to find it still closed and risking another meltdown!

It's covered in graffiti though and a bit depressing really, which is poor considering it's just had a revamp. It tends to get used as a place to hang out by local teenagers and is covered in beer cans, glass etc. Not exactly a great environment for the tiddly ones.

Such a shame really that the council obviously spent a fair bit of money putting this great new equipment in, which is lovely but not entirely necessary when the kids really just need a safe, clean park with swings and slide. Yet they aren't spending anything on maintaining it.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Our local park is used by teens to graffiti and smoke and drink! It is awful and so unfair!

I agree tho - money should be spent maintaining it and looking after it!

MrsG
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Fairfax Drive Play Space

#10 Unread post by MrsG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 pm

i used to be one of those teens who used to meet up down there after school. but we where the good teens who didn't trash it, it was just central to everyone, and right outside our school! :oops: ahh, back in the 90's :lol:

I spoke to a man knocking on doors to try and rally votes for conservatives the other day, and its on their to do list... Still not going to make me vote for them ;)

Have you seen the old shops they have boarded up long westborough, near southbourne grove... wonder how long it will be till its smothered in graffiti!!!
Image Image

Return to “Have your say!”