babychic

Team YP

For support and advice about disabilities & SEN
weezypops
Site Guru

Team YP

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Team YP is a lottery funded, Olympic inspired project runs for 20 weeks, twice a year. Each 20 weeks we have 2 groups, so that's 4 groups a year.

The groups are either 11- 15 or 16 - 25 years age groups. It's FREE and requires only 3 hours commitment a week and in exchange the young people will enjoy fantastic experiences and opportunities for 26 weeks which will boost confidence, increase self esteem and encourage teamwork.

The kids get to do a range of activities including karting, zorbing, swimming, diving, sailing, skiing, snowboarding, trips to Go Ape, climbing, basketball, a residential weekend, tennis, assault courses, riding and lots more. they choose the activities they wish to participate in from a brochure.

This project is worth £4000 but Southend YMCA is offering FREE to selected young people in this area. They are interviewing in January so all applications need to be in asap.

If you would like an application form, you can either let me (weezypops) know and I'll email one to you, or call Jane at Southend YMCA on 01702 608850 or 07534 503544

Please join the Facebook group to receive updates about events and opportunities for young people
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=191519490524

FAQ for Team YP

What does Team YP stand for? Team Young person

How long does the course take? 26 weeks.

Who can join Team YP?
Team YP is designed for disadvantaged young people. This disadvantage could be economic, social, educational or emotional.

Do I have to pay for anything? No. Everything is already funded by the Lottery, this includes the activities, travel to them, packed lunches when we go away at weekends, project folders and Team YP t-shirts and hoodies.There is no cost involved whatsoever.

How often do we meet? Once a week on the same day each week in the evening after college or school for 2-3hours e.g: Thursdays 5pm-7.30pm. Also for the longer activities one day a weekend possibly every three weeks around 6-8 hours. E.g: 10am-5pm on Saturday.

How will you will stay in contact with me? We use facebook so all information about your events will be on there, feedback and discussions and we expect you to join if you are on facebook. We will use telephones a lot so would expect you to provide your mobile numbers and home numbers and you to save our numbers so you can contact us just as easily in cases of emergencies and information etc.

How many people will be in my group? Around 15.

Will the groups be mixed with girls and boys and how old will they be? Yes, all the groups are mixed and within their own age ranges. 11-14, 15-18. 19-25

How much reading and writing is involved? We have booklets that are either filled in with the group or individually as evidence towards your qualifications. We help you with any writing and reading work.

What sort of training for the activities will be involved? The activities range from basic listening training before doing them, on activities such as a 15 minute lazer game, to skilled health and safety training, on activities such as a 3 hour zip lining course. You will never be on an activity which hasn’t been discussed and that you are comfortable with.

What happens if I don’t turn up without phoning? We work on a yellow card, red card system. If you have valid reasons of course we fully understand but general lack of consideration will have consequences if done so twice which could result in you leaving the course. All of this will be explained to you in full before beginning.

I have a special occasion to attend, can I be excused for one week? When we interview you all special dates you already have arranged will be shared with us and noted down. You are permitted of course to attend to these if they fall upon one or two sessions however these must be shared with us prior to being accepted. This will be involved in your contract.

I am a member of a sports club and attend it three times a week, am I still eligble? This is a possibility as long as the day of your group is always prioritized on your evenings off and your other commitments do not interfere with your attending of Team YP.

WWW.SOUTHENDYMCA.ORG.UK
TEL – 01702 608850
JANEDOLBY@SOUTHENDYMCA.ORG.UK
ANNADUNHILL@SOUTHENDYMCA.ORG.UK
LISABLATCH@SOUTHENDYMCA.ORG.UK

Return to “Prematurity, Disabilities & SEN”