babychic

Query

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

Query

#1 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Hiya,

Dont know if you could help with my query..Once i gave birth to faith and sent home from hospital my midwife discharged me after 3 days cos she said id giving birth before and knew what i was doing..When i came home i continued to bleed for weeks after it only happened if i walked around even from the sofa to loo on ground floor..Why did that happen? i told my doctor/midwife they said it was normal? and toldme not to do too much movement.. But i didnt have it with charlie, i went back to normal n had my period a month after birth with charlie..They did have a problem with the afterbirth at hospital even when i had the injection it still wouldnt come out...would that have had anything to do with it?

I would like baby number 3 but the whole experince from hospital to home has put me off though...

vivp
Toddler
Toddler

#2 Unread post by vivp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 pm

in my experience as i have had 4 babies lol, you alway tend to bleed more with the more you have,after i had alfie all i had to do was stand up and blood would come out or walk for a short while and i was bleeding it was the same with thomas i could soak a towel within a couple of hours,but I never got it like that with daniel or chloe so i think it is quite normal,as for discharging you after 3 days that is not normal as if you think about it they are still meant to be with you on day 6 to do the heal prick test, i was discharge on day 7.,health visit saw me on day 11 i think

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#3 Unread post by Bruch70 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:55 am

Hi Kelly,
It is sad to hear that you were discharged so quickly and while you still had issues going on. Again, without being with you at the birth and afterwards and not having access to your records i can only have as my best guess at what happened. I think it's worth being aware that even though the injection they give you for the placenta (syntometrine) can make this stage quicker, it does have a small risk of the placenta getting stuck and having to be removed so when you consider this next time, you could think about maybe doing it naturally? When women have the injection, it seems like your blood loss is lower initially but when the injection wears off, the loss can increase. When the placenta comes out naturally, the blood loss can seem heavier to begin with but usually reduces more quickly.

In my experience, having more babies doesn't make a difference with the blood loss, it's more to do with how big the baby was, how big the placenta is and of course if there were any problems, which in your case there were. If a woman has problems with the placenta coming away, it is possible that small fragments can be left behind in the uterus and then heavier bleeding might occur.

It is very unusual for women to go onto have problems with the placenta in the next pregnancy and birth so i would try not to worry too much. Also if you do decide to have another some day and you feel you are being discharged too soon, then please say so- you are entitled to midwifery care and midwives are able to visit you up to 28 days (longer sometimes) so although i know they are busy, that really isn't your problem if you have worries, they will just have to manage and give you the support you have asked for.

hope this helps,

warm wishes,
Vicky
Last edited by Bruch70 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

#4 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am

thanks for that vicky, that helped. sometime in the future ill think about having another 1:)

Return to “Ask the Midwife”