babychic

Lee's query

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
choccolee
Explorer
Explorer

Lee's query

#1 Unread post by choccolee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:41 pm

HI
Just wondered if i can ask you a couple of questions?
The first is trivial, but im curious, is there any truth in the 'rumour' that your third labour is the worst or is this just an old wives tale/scare mongering, in your experience? Heard lots of people say it but dont know if theres any truth behind it, mind you cant do anything about it now anyway :D LOL

Secondly as you can probably guess i'm pregnant with my 3 child, (fourth pregnancy-miscarry feb 2008) EDD 26/03/09 (21+4 today). Since i was approx 6-8wks i have had lower back discomfort, this has got progressivley worse, started of with dull backache in the evening, then started coming on around 3pm and now can start as early as 11am. At the moment i am still waking up pain free, but am in bed by 8pm and for the last 2 months have been in severe pain throughout the night especially if i wish to turn over in bed etc or have to get up to go to the loo, i have to hold on to the bed and my back feels very weak and like an 80yr old LOL. The pain is mainly from hip to hip and around the lower back. Not sure how relavant this is but i am 37, and pre pregnancy was a dress size 8-10 and i have only put on around 8lbs so far so dont think weight is an issue, (actually felt like a fraud at the begining complaining of back ache when i wasnt even showing!).
My main questions are, could it be Pelvic girdle pain or Symphysis pubic dysfunction, i think it may be one of these, do you agree or could it be something else? If so what would you recommend? I was considering a support belt, but dont want to waste money and not sure which one? Lastly, bearing in mind i really would like a home birth if poss, should i tell my midwife or will it affect my chances of a home birth and if she cant do anything about it, is there actually any point?
Thankyou you for reading
Lee
mum to Rowan 13yr, Harris 3 and baby Ebony born 30th March 09

ariesangel1985
Selling Sexy Wares

#2 Unread post by ariesangel1985 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:51 pm

It sounds Like SPD (Tho i could be wrong), i had this with aimee, used to feel like her head was gonna pop out any minute, and that she was pushing my hips apart!

I know its not much help, but i wanted to let you know that i had this on my 2nd pregnancy, and used a support belt which helped ALOT! x x

twinklepaws
Student
Student

Re: Lee's query

#3 Unread post by twinklepaws » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:16 pm

choccolee wrote:HI
Just wondered if i can ask you a couple of questions?
The first is trivial, but im curious, is there any truth in the 'rumour' that your third labour is the worst or is this just an old wives tale/scare mongering, in your experience? Heard lots of people say it but dont know if theres any truth behind it, mind you cant do anything about it now anyway :D LOL
Lee
I was told that your third is really easy or really difficult. Mine turned out to be a 10 minute labour and no pain relief, so I guess I got the easy one, lol. Good luck! :)
Mummy to Callum Josh Ben Ollie Alfie & Mia

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#4 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:37 pm

My friend had her third a few weeks ago and she said it was really quick and quite easy. I had been told that the third was somewhere in between the first and the second so I suppose there's no 'rule' as such and everyone is different.

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#5 Unread post by Bruch70 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

Hi Lee,
Don't worry about the 3rd baby stories, just ignore these 'lovely' people- i never understand why we do it to each other!! You will labour beautifully and it will be fine, especially if you plan to stay at home as you will find it so much more relaxing not having to rush out the door when things start.

Without sounding like i'm making excuses! it's harder to assess your problem with your back over the internet but i think it's probably ligaments becoming looser (which yes is a bit like SPD) but there are different levels. It is a good effect of your hormones (mostly Relaxin and progesterone) that helps your smooth muscles and ligaments become more flexible, stretchy and pliable which enables everything to grow and move for the pregnancy and birth. The downside is varying levels of aching and instability within the back and or/pelvis. I would definately consider getting a bump belt- there are various ones about, some sit under the bump and some go completely over (check out mothercare, mamanjojobebe, blooming marvellous and NCT on line). This should help during the day, at night you may well start to need a support pillow under your bump- again i have been recommended one from mamanjojobebe by my midwife/friend who i looked after in May, she swore by it! If it persists, i would go and see a chiropractor (there is a clinic in Basildon which lists pregnancy as one of their specialities) as this has been highly favoured in midwifery journal lately as the treatment of choice. My clients who have seen chiropractors have said it has been extremely helpful ,so worth looking into.

There is no reason why this should prevent you from having a homebirth if you and the baby are healthy otherwise. Maybe consider a birth pool as this can be really supportive and soothing to women who have SPD issues, so much easier to move in the water and it helps support your body water plus the warmth is very soothing.

Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on!

Warm wishes,
Vicky

choccolee
Explorer
Explorer

#6 Unread post by choccolee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks Vicky
Will get on the internet today and get a back support and pillow. As I'm only 5 mths and things have got much worse in the last month, am anticipating things progresing badly by the time im 9mths, so anything i can do will help.
Like most mums, if i'm out of action it effects everyone, and i'm already in quiet a lot of pain and unable to do things, so maybe the clinic in Basildon will be the answer, will see how the belt helps first.
Great news about the home birth (was quiet worried), will look into the pool idea, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and i get to stay at home.
Thanks again
Will keep you posted
Lee xxx
mum to Rowan 13yr, Harris 3 and baby Ebony born 30th March 09

Return to “Ask the Midwife”