babychic

ARTYFARTYMACK- PREMMIE

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
Bruch70
Baby
Baby

ARTYFARTYMACK- PREMMIE

#1 Unread post by Bruch70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Well, again Claire, there are no guarantees in life and without knowing the reason for baby arriving early, it is difficult to try and make sense of it. If it was an infection, for example, ther chances are it wouldn't happen again. If it was something medical (pre eclampsia) or to do with the shape of someone's uterus (some women have '2 horned' uterus of example and can have a tendency to go into labour earlier as maybe less space).

I would suggest that maybe you contact the hospital where he was born and ask if someone can go through your notes with you- this is more commonplace nowadays, sometimes they call it something like 'afterthoughts service' so you can sit with a midwife (usually) who can go through things with you in a bit more detail.

If you feel all your questions were answered at the time as best they could be and it's a case of no one knows, then it is probably unlikely to happen again. I'm sure you know how much joy children can breing, and i know there are no certainties but i would suggest doing a lot of reading around this and maybe take some helpful precautions (one thing i have read about it taking enough vitamin c, strengthens the membranes apparently so less likely to break early and cause prem labour! I know this might not be the reason you had baby early, but it would reduce that factor at least!)

I'm sure there will come a time when you will know if it's right for you to consider a second child.

Warm wishes,
Vicky

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Thats interesting thanks Vicky, I'll call St Johns later and see if they will do that. I had bloods etc taken when I was in labour but never even got the results!!

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#3 Unread post by Bruch70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Good idea. I suspect they will say they were normal though as if there were any poblems, i'm sure they would have acted upon them. You might find it helpful though to go through your notes with someone.

Let me know how you get on,

Vicky

Return to “Ask the Midwife”