babychic

High Risk Pregnancy/Birth

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

High Risk Pregnancy/Birth

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi,

As mentioned in another post, I visited my midwife for my first appointment this week and she has put me straight into the higher risk category, and some of the reasons have confused me a little...

I had suspected already that I may be higher risk due to my daughter trying to come at 29 weeks (was slowed and managed to last full term) and also having had a couple of failed pregnancies, however, she also said that my history with eating disorders (have been referred to an additional consultant/NANA?!) and my arthritis cause a risk too? Neither of these two things were brought up as an issues before.

I have looked into it a little and all I can seem to find is that the higher risk with arthritis is generally for those that take particular medications, however, I only use nonsteroidal medication (brufen and/or naproxen) and my flare ups aren't a constant issue. The only issue I can see is the additional baby weight causing pain and the meds should really be avoided if possible.

I can understand the eating disorder bit to a point, although it's not been an issue in regards to pregnancy before but the arthritis bit has really stumped me! it

She has said that I will be under shared care (midwife and various consultants) and that they may decide towards the end to change to low risk, but she said it was unlikely, mainly because of the arthritis?!
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

Re: High Risk Pregnancy/Birth

#2 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I think they are taking a cautious view - I agree with you re arthritis and it is rhe effect of certain drugs that they are concerned about - however this doesn't affect the birth itself. Depending on the drugs you take, they may recommend additional scans. If your back / pelvis is affected, again that may require additional planning for the birth. It is recommended that you avoid taking NSAID (ibuprofen) as there is evidence that it might affect pregnancy, so it is a good idea to explore safer alternatives for pregnancy. The extra vigilance they are giving with regards to your pregnancy isn't necessarily a negative thing. What are your plans for the labour and birth? It isn't unusual for women originally given a "high risk" label to be moved to "low risk" as pregnancy progresses. it all depends in your full history and current health etc, so I can't comment on the "labelling". Discuss the reasons with your consultant who may be able to clear things up for you a bit more! X
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#3 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you Lorraine; I have cut out the NSAIDs so far (with the nod from my doctor) and pains at the moment are bearable.

In regards to the birth... I have decided that I will stay with Broomfield (although I'd not have chosen it freely), and will see what my chances are of utilising the birthing unit there, as if I do have issues, I can then be moved straight over to their labour ward with little issue.

I think my next hurdle is getting this rescan! Maybe you can advise on that also? I'm rather concerned regarding the possibility of a missed second baby on my first scan (I know it's a rare occurance but it is a niggling feeling)... I spoke to my midwife about it and she was rather rude to me and very dismissive. Am I able to push for a rescan to settle my concerns?
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#4 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm

It is really unlikely that they will have missed a twin - it does happen, but it's very very rare (in 18 yrs I've never come across anybody who has had a surprise like that, but I have read 1 or 2 stories of women who have. I think it is a comin concern in second pregnancies because you do feel bigger more quickly and tiredness / nausea seem worse too - so the worrying about twins starts, but as I said very very rare!!
The additional scans are likely to be later on in pregnancy, and not at this stage. It depends again on what drugs you are on and other factors within your obstetric history and it'll be the consultant who will recommend them. Id be very surprised if they agree to rescan you now for reassurance - the scanning depts are always under huge stress to get through the usual routine cases and the emergencies. Although feeling relaxed, calm and reassured is very important, unfortunately most services can't stretch to doing additional ones for this.
Hopefully you'll be able to meet with your consultant soon and discuss all your concerns/ questions with them (write them down and take with you!!). Don't let them rush you out the door until you feel that you have all the information you need to make choices for yourself.
Hope this helps - and congratulations! Xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

BBOThymn
Newborn
Newborn

-

#5 Unread post by BBOThymn » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:30 pm

Read up on nucleic acid testing. It has reduced the gap between infection with HIV and detection from many weeks down to a few days, and has substantially reduced the risk of infection with this virus from "high risk" donors.

Return to “Ask the Midwife”