babychic

pelvic girdle pain

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
harmony
Newborn
Newborn

pelvic girdle pain

#1 Unread post by harmony » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Hello, I've been diagnosed with pelvic girdle pain and it's ever so painful. I'd been taking paracetamol since 20 weeks (when the pains started) and self-referred to physio at 26 weeks. Had one appointment with the physio who gave me a list of exercises to do on a gym ball but these seem to make the pain much worse. I was also told that I'd get a phonecall in 2 weeks to come and collect a support band (when they get more stock in). I was told by a doctor at Southend that I could take codeine but when I went to the chemist to buy some I nearly had an arguement with the lady on the counter (at Boots) who insisted that codeine is not safe during pregnancy. I did some research on the internet which gave mixed messages about it's safety........In the end I got hold of some paracetamol 500mg & codeine 8mg tablets and take just one tablet every 2nd night at the moment so that I can get SOME sleep (and am taking paracetamol at other times - but not exceeding the maximum dose). It's making me feel a bit depressed and it doesn't seem fair seeing as I've wanted to be pregnant for so long. I'm currently 29 weeks gestation and the thought of another 11 weeks and then going into labour/having to push is really worrying me. I tried speaking to my midwife about it but she was very busy at the time and just told me 'not to worry' and seemed surprised that I'm not using crutches. I'd quite like to be using crutches but I haven't been offered any....... is this something that will help or should I just be staying at home resting. I'm off work sick and am bored, tired, fed up and sore....... and I'm suposed to be going away with my family in 2 weeks time for a camping holiday and I don't know what to do :-(
If anyone has any advice for me PLEASE contact me! I've tried warm baths, v pillows, hot water bottles, painkillers and yet I don't know why the pain is still so bad.
Thank you! Harmony xx

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

Re: pelvic girdle pain

#2 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 am

Hey ya huni.
Oh I so feel your pain darl. I too have the PGP and honestly.. the less you do the better. I no its hard to just sit and not do but its the only thing that I find that helps.
My midwife told me that I could take Co-Codamol but it made me feel so out of it I didnt take them again.
Oh hun I can say that the support belt did help but now It digs in places that bubs obviously isnt happy with :lol: I am 38 weeks now tho so thats probably why.
I cant believe they havent a support belt for you... Your in Southend arent you hun?
I dont blame you for feeling worried about labour too as it was my fear too having it and being so sore and doing it all.
I dont no if this post is helping at all but feel free to ask anything else hun.
Im sorry to say it hun but nothing helps me, I dont think people realkise unless they have had it/got it how sore it can be. More you do the worse you are. Sleeping is a nightmare too with pains all up my side tossong and turning in the night so getting lil sleep.

It does make you feel so down desnt it. Big hugs hun. Its just crazy from some bones it can make you feel so damn sore. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:12 am

YOu really have my sympathies. I had it too but it doesn't sound as bad as yours. It was extremely painful and I, like you, felt like I couldn't face the rest of the pregnancy with it. I imagine you've already read all the tips about how to go upstairs, what sort of movements to avoid etc haven't you?

Two things that might help you feel a little better - mine didn't affect me at all during labour, and it went pretty quickly afterwards too, with no lasting effects from it at all.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#4 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 am

Also have my sympathies! mine also didnt affect labour, i actually read somewhere that it can infact aid birthing because the muscles/bones have already moved and softened which is why its so painful. i had it in both pregnancies but much worse with second. despite an awful labour with my first i was only pushing for 10mins and only for 1min (!!!) with second.

I must say though, try and do as little as possible. dont lift heavy things, put knees together to turn over in bed, and generally rest up. i found doing too much during the day nade me suffer awfully at night. i never got any physio or support bands etc (im in different area) and i did more than i should have because i had a toddler to look after too (18months gap) and because of this i still have the pain almost 2 years on. i have to now take anti inflamatories and do exercises to try and strengthen my back and pelvic muscles from scratch. most people are fortunate enough to recover quite quickly after birth though.

Rest up and take care! house work will still be there tomorrow lol. and if you do shopping in store, try it online for delivery when someobe else is home.
ImageImage
ImageImage

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:55 am

Bless ya Claire. My midwife said to me and my physio that I will prob suffer after this time round. I think it def depends how bad you get it etc.
I think they were concerned too with my spine and the curve on it!! Hence wearing the support belt too.
Hoping ill be fine after but we will see. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Schmushe
Blissful

#6 Unread post by Schmushe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 am

I had it with all 3 pregnancies and it is horrendous!! I ended up on crutches everytime and the support belt really didnt help at all!! There are some hospitals which are trying a tubigrip type support but it has already had bad reviews saying it impacts on the baby and your blood flow if too tight etc..
Physio really wasnt any good for me, but they did tell me certain positions to sit and lay in, it didnt help and I literally felt as if my bosy was tearing everytime I moved, and would not only need my crutches all day, but by the end of the day I would have my hubbie holding me too cause it hurt so much.
It is all to do with the muscles and bones softening and preparing themselves, and unfortunetly it gets worse with every pregnancy. My labours in the first 2 were really painful because of certain positions and because I was bed bound for the entire labour, but if your able to be more mobile you could find a position that suits. In my 3rd labour I had a spinal and couldnt feel much so it didnt affect me.
Afterwards you may still have problems with pain and movement and mine has taken as long as 6 months to return almost to normal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - Id get back on the phone and chase up physio about things, you self refer so you dont need to wait for anyone else to sort it for you.

Hope things ease soon

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#7 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 pm

It's caused by the pregnancy hormones relaxing and softening your pelvic ligaments. Fortunately they soften a bit too much for some women, making your pelvis unstable and painful. It can sometimes be confused with a urine infection, so this should be excluded first.
Regular analgesia is fine - codeine in extreme cases is prescribed, but try to limit it to times when pgp is worst
Avoid any leg separation - go up the stairs on your bottom, get into the car by sitting in sideways then swiveling your legs into the car together (glue your knees together!), get in /out if bath by sitting on the edge first then swinging legs in (may need help with this!).
Support belts do help - Mothercare used to sell them if you can't get from physio. They are also called trochanteric belts.
Some women find swimming is great / others find it makes them ache more :-/
Towards the end of pregnancy, measure your pain free gap. Lying on your back or semirecumbant, bend your legs and allow them to flop open slowly until becomes painful - measure the distance between the knees and this is your pain free gap. It is important to know and to make sure you don't exceed this during the birth or you can be in excruciating pain after the birth (epidurals will take away the pain in labour, so you won't know that you've separated your kegs too far if you haven't measured). Your pain free gap must be maintained at c sections, if you are put in stirrups for ventouse etc - so do make sure it is in your notes and midwife looking after you in labour is aware of your spd. Many women find pool births really good when they have spd as it tames a lot of the pressure off your pelvis and warmth soothes the chronic ache.
There are several pgp / spd / PBd websites that have useful info and support (google will bring them up)
Usually resolves really quickly post birth as your hormone levels return to your pre pregnancy levels, though a few women do experience ongoing problems which very rarely means they need surgery to fix their pelvis to make it stable again. Hope yours doesn't worsen and that you have a quick return to pain free pelvis post birth. Any further q's do ask. Xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

Return to “Ask the Midwife”