babychic

SPD

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
weezypops
Site Guru

SPD

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I had very painful SPD with my last pregnancy - it started around 15 weeks I think but I didn't realise what it was until around, by which time it was incredibly painful. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll probably have it again as I also had it with my first, though not as bad. Is there anything I can do to either avoid it, hold it off a little, or treat it when it comes besides taking it easy, stopping when it hurts etc? I know there's supposed to be a girdle you can use - does that work?

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: SPD

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 pm

I had Spd in all 3 pregnancies and it got worse in each one.
I had physio, tried the support belt and even used crutches but not much eased the pains.
I know a few mums who were treated using a tubigrip. I'm not sure if it's used in Essex though as there was a big thing over it reducing the feeling of the baby because it's so tight.
The best thing to do is make sure you refer yourself to physio as early as possible so that they can start shoeing you the exercises / movements to avoid etc. Southend is self referral.
I've seen how you sit louise - one leg under the other under your bum type thing and that isn't a great position to be in.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Haha Michelle, I'm sitting like that right now. It's more one leg under the other thigh. Hmm. I'll have to modify that!

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#4 Unread post by sheeina » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm

i too wasnt greaat with george.
i was put on crutches at about 6 months (not my greatest hour) and told it was that or wheelchair and i was NOT giving into that!!!

i liked a hot water bottle. dont know if there is any proff that it works but i used to live on one. under bum cheek while sitting and warms up bed before getting in. i found the heat helped.
but like michelle said not much helps with pain its there to stay.
i also found physo very very painful. came out most weeks crying. ;-)

mmm wounder why ive not had a second yet lol. but fingers crossed you dont suffer to much. x
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Be careful if you use a hot water bottle cause studies have shown it can raise the temp of the baby. I had the article passed to me from bliss a few months ago.

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#6 Unread post by sheeina » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:11 pm

oops sorry!
bad advice scrap what i said its not true and i never did that!!!
lol. ;-)
Mummy to George

Schmushe
Blissful

#7 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:20 pm

I didn't believe it when I read it sheeina, I don't think unless you were told otherwise you would even give it a second thought.

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#8 Unread post by sheeina » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

its the same old thing michelle of what right with one baby isnt the same with your next sometimes only year apart.

but i will try and hold off my hot water bottle passion as and when and if we have another one. xxx
Mummy to George

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 pm

I sit like you Lou in fact I am now LOL! I have a V pillow and wrap it round my lower back on te sofa and it's ever so comfortable. WOnt do much for your pelvis but if you get lower back pain like me it's fab

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#10 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 am

haha i also sit like that, but found i couldnt when my spd reared its ugly head with Ruby.
I didnt find anything that eased my pain unfortunately. I never heard back from my physio referral at 24wks, so if you are self referral in southend i would probably do it now before it starts to give plenty of leway to hear back from them.
Maybe look online for some exercises to start strengthening the muscles now, but at the same time plenty of rest.
IF i ever have a third, i would dread the spd. I had it late pregnancy with Brandon and didnt really know what it was, then it started at about 20wks with Ruby, so with a third its bound to be earlier.
ImageImage
ImageImage

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#11 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:20 am

Oh gawd SPD is horrible isnt it. I had it with Jack and im hopeing I dont get it again.
I didnt get it till I was about 8 months gone unlike some people bless.
I too found that physio made me worse, as it flared it up and I was then in more pain boo.

Sorry not much advice Lou, lets just hope its skips us all this time :lol: x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#12 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I would advise referral to a physio, if possible an obstetric physio, fo all spd women. I have found that many women also find treatment from a chiropractor really helpful, although you would have to pay for this privately in most cases. The tubigrip solution can help many women with mild to moderate symptoms. It can sometimes also be referred to as a "trochanteric belt". They can be quite sweaty to wear in warmer weather, but basically are tightly wrapped around the pelvic area to support your bump and pelvis, to limit the excessive mobility of the pelvic joints that leads to pelvic instability and discomfort that spd sufferers have. Other advice includes avoiding leg separation, so walking upstairs can be painful, so go up and down on your bottom. Get in and out of cars by "gluing" your knees together, sitting down before swinging round to the correct position for getting in and out. Towards the end of pregnancy, measure your "pain free gap". This is the distance you can comfortably separate your your legs. This is especially important if you go on to have an epidural during the birth as you may be unaware that you are exceeding your normal separation limit. Giving birth lying on your left side, or in a birthing pool can be the most comfortable and protective options for spd. If you have a Caesarian section it remains important that your pain free gap is not exceeded and that your care givers are all made aware of your spd so can take extra care when moving you around from table to bed etc. Hope this helps xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

weezypops
Site Guru

#13 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks Lorraine!

weezypops
Site Guru

#14 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:02 pm

So do you think it's worth getting and wearing a belt now to see if that holds it off or is it only really useful once the pain starts?

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#15 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 pm

It really is personal choice. I know some women without spd find the support belts help them feel more comfortable, but equally other women just find them annoying and sweaty! It won't stop the spd - the cause is the rise in pregnancy hormones, relaxin and progesterone, but can just make the symptoms more bearable. Chiropractor is definately worth a go from when you first notice spd symptoms occurring.
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

Return to “Ask the Midwife”