babychic

Bleeding in pregnancy

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
JaneI
Newborn
Newborn

Bleeding in pregnancy

#1 Unread post by JaneI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help....

I'm 13 weeks and two days pregnant. Throughout my pregnancy so far I've had lots of spotting on and off, sometimes lasting for over a week, sometimes just a few days. It comes and goes a lot. I had an early pregnancy scan and everything was ok, and I had my dating scan on Monday and everything looked fine :) They couldn't see any reasons why I had been bleeding (although I wasn't bleeding that day) They suggested it might be the position of the placenta but they couldn't tell on the scan, and said they would check at 20 weeks.

But I'm still worried as when I went to the toilet this morning there was a lot of bright red blood. It was very thin, no clots, and hasn't been bad at all the rest of the day. I'm just worried as I don't know when I should worry about it and when I should just accept that it's what my body wants to do in pregnancy! How do I know if I need to worry? I haven't had any pains at all with the bleeds.

Is there anything I should/ shouldn't do if I have bleeds/ spotting? And should I always tell my GP? They seem to not be concerned, but that hasn't stopped me worrying!

Thanks,

Jane

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Bleeding in pregnancy

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Jane

Didn't want to read and run although I have no real advice! I'm sure you'll get some proper advice later :)

I know some people do bleed throughout their pregnancy and things turn out fine!

Glad everything went well at your dating scan. When are you due?

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#3 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Ahh hun I can imagine it can be worrying and im sure you will get some more info later on.
I would defo mention it tho to my midwife or GP that your concerned about the bleeds etc and ask there advice.
Hope your ok. Take care.
Im glad all was ok at your scan huns. Like Jenn said some poeple do bleed through out their pregnancies. xx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

JaneI
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by JaneI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks Jenn,

I think I need to stop worrying, but it's hard as it's my first time!

I'm due on 8th August.....long way to go!

Hope all's going well with you

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#5 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Jane,

It seems you are having a worrying start to your pregnancy. Bleeding does happen in early pregnancy and often there is no known reason for it, as you are currently experiencing. The fact that you have had a very recent scan which was normal with no sign of any bleeding, current or old on the scan is very reassuring. Spotting can be caused by any number of harmless incidents, which although worrying, will not affect your baby in the least. Sometimes haemorrhoids (piles) can cause bleeding, or I have even seen women who have had bleeding from a vaginal abrasion caused by toilet tissue that was too abrasive or underwear that has rubbed and caused a sore area. It could also be that the bleeding is not coming from where the baby is safely tucked up in your womb, but possibly from the cervix, where the pregnancy hormones have softened the tissues making them a little more delicate and susceptible to bleed - although worrying, this is in itself not a problem. Unfortunately, in the large majority of cases we simply do not know why women are bleeding, or where it is coming from. However, most bleeding of this kind, particularly when you have had a reassuring scan, no pain and no clots, tends to settle of it's own accord and the baby continues to grow unaffected by the incidents.

We used to advise women who were bleeding to rest, go off work sick etc, but it is now thought that this has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the outcome. If you need to go to work, then do, but if you think you would feel better from having rest, then that is
fine too. You may already have been advised to avoid sex, as sometimes this can cause bleeding if your partner brushes against the cervix. Post-coital bleeds are fairly common, so avoiding sex in this instance is a sensible precaution.

Your Midwife may be able to hear your baby's heartbeat with the sonic aid from now on, so this will be reassuring too. A small amount of thin blood loss on wiping, as you describe is fine to manage at home. The blood loss will turn darker and brownish as the bleed settles. If you have any heavy bright red loss, where you need to wear a pad, lose any clots, or have any pain, then contact your midwife or maternity unit and they will be able to advise you immediately of what to do next. Equally, if nothing changes and
you are still anxious then speak to your midwife anyway, and she will be able to reassure you. I hope the bleeding settles for you soon and you are able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

XxJack~AcexX

#6 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm

JaneI wrote:

I'm due on 8th August.....long way to go!

Hope all's going well with you
Hey hun im due the 9th August :D Feels like forever away doesnt it... hurrrry up :lol:
Do you have your 20 week scan date as yet? We got ours through today, im so excited xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

JaneI
Newborn
Newborn

#7 Unread post by JaneI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Gemma, it does feel like forever doesn't it! I've never counted my days away so quickly!! My next scan's towards the end of March - how about you? I'll be counting down the next two months now! It's very exciting though :) Hope everything is going well with your pregnancy.

Lorraine, thank you so much for your advice, it's really reassuring. I was just very worried today as the blood was very red and actually in the toilet rather than when I wiped, but besides happening once this morning it's been fine today and just very very light spotting when I wipe. So I'm hoping it's all ok. I haven't been given any details of a midwife I can contact, I don't know if that's normal? I've just been told to go to the GP if I have any problems. Unfortunately I have to work, but if I keep bleeding/ feeling worried I might give myself a bit of time off to relax.

Thanks for all your comments everyone xx

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#8 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Depending on which hospital area you fall under will determine whether or not you have your midwives details yet - they all work slightly differently, but you should hayou had a first appointment with your community midwife by now (it is usually impossible to get a scan without having been "booked" by a midwife first!) and your next appointment should be at around 16 weeks. Sometimes you will be given an appointment for around 12-13 weeks as well, but this varies from clinic to clinic. If you don't have the details of your community midwife, you could contact the labour ward of your local hospital and they will be able to direct you to the most appropriate person. Some hospitals have early pregnancy clinics, sometimes called EPU's, specifically set up to help women with early pregnancy problems. They are very well used to talking to women with bleeding early on and can be a good source of support too - they are often able to talk you through your concerns and reassure you over the phone. Hope this helps xx
Lorraine Berry

weezypops
Site Guru

#9 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:12 pm

I had some dealings with the Early Pregnancy Unit at Southend and found them very helpful and willing to offer advice.

Congrats on your pregnancy Jane.

XxJack~AcexX

#10 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

I agree with Lousie hun the EPU were fab with me when I needed them in a previous pregnancy.
Yes hun I got through my scan date which is the 22nd March :D Excitedddddddd :lol:
I too am counting down the days.
It was lovely having the 12 week scan to see bubs was ok, want to see again!! :D
Are you under Southend Hospital? x
ImageImage

ImageImage

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#11 Unread post by nubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am

the first week in August seems to be a baby boom week - in my family alone we have 5 birthdays between the 6th - 9th Aug, must be the christmas season ;D
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX

#12 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 am

He he Kris I found out I was preg the beginning of Dec, the day before my BIL's wedding. x
Woohoooo gooo essexmums bubba boom once again :D xxx
ImageImage

ImageImage

XxJack~AcexX

#13 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 pm

How r u huns and the preg going? x
ImageImage

ImageImage

JaneI
Newborn
Newborn

#14 Unread post by JaneI » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Gemma,

My scan's on 23rd March - we're doing things a day apart!!

I had another scan at the EPU yesterday to check all's ok and everything looks fine so I'm feeling much more relieved again :) Wish we could have scans every week!!

I'm actually living in London, but grew up in Essex & joined the website as it looked so good. But now wishing I was in Essex as would be nice to meet up with mums here at antenatal classes!

Hope everything's going well for you x

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#15 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Glad to hear things going well Jane xx
Lorraine Berry

Return to “Ask the Midwife”