babychic

Movie - Where The Wild Things Are...

Give us your honest review of a product you've bought and help other parents make informed decisions before they buy!
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Movie - Where The Wild Things Are...

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386117/

We watched this film tonight, and thought I would give anyone thining of taking children to see it a bit of a heads up...

Although the film has big fluffy creatures and a smiling, running child, don't be fooled - I honestly would not class this as a child's film.

It is done similarly, I guess, to the likes of The Labyrinth etc, however, the content is quite deep and 'grown up', and some children will probably get bored very quickly. It is an odd story, and it jumps about all over the place, it is very moody and most of the time quite downbeat.

A young boy has 'issues' with his family, and finds it hard to cope with his daily lifestyle, and so he runs away after an argument with his mum. He takes a boat and sets sail, and eventually comes across a small island which is inhabited by unusual creatures. The creatures seem to form a kind of dysfunctional family unit, and there are lots of problems within them such as aggression, paranoia and so on. The boy becomes a part of their 'unit' in the hope that he can improve things for them, and becomes close to one of the creatures (Carol) who is quite like himself, but soon becomes another part of their problems.

Charli seemed to be able to watch it through, however, she didn't understand some parts fully and said afterwards that maybe she should wait a few years before trying to watch it again, which triggered me posting this.

The film itself is quite good and I enjoyed it, and was even rather moved at some points, but I would say it just isn't quite there for younger children!
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the warning.

TBH - I was quite shocked when they made this into a family film as when the book was originally released, people thought that it was so scary that it got taken off the shelves and put out of print!

Glad you enjoyed it tho!

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 am

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this as I love the book. Good to know though Lea, thanks!

Return to “Reviews”