babychic

FUNDING FOR TWO YEAR OLDS!!!

For all childcare notices, and information about nurseries and creches
Bumble
Difficult Teenager
Difficult Teenager

FUNDING FOR TWO YEAR OLDS!!!

#1 Unread post by Bumble » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 am

I got a letter through today from the nursery at the creche we use. Basically it said:

Funding is available from January for some two year olds, you have to meet criteria.
Not all nurseries are able to offer this tho.
They get 3 hours a day term-time only.

:)

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:09 am

Do you know what the criteria is?

Bumble
Difficult Teenager
Difficult Teenager

#3 Unread post by Bumble » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 am

There's two parts to it, first is to be on some sort of benefit I think, income support or JSA, ect, second is single parents, delayed development ect. My friends applying for it as is on income support and a teenage mum. Its not aimed at working families or couples :( But not all nurseries offer it, think its just children centre ones

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 am

At the moment this funding is on pilot and some nurseries have been chosen to take part. Those who have have been told that there is a limit on numbers (my nursery can fund 4 children). Thomas has been selected as one of thise children as he has developmental delay. I'm delighted as it means I can get a day to myself!

The criteria is going to be:

Benefits
JSA
Single parents
Young families
Disability/medical issues
Developmental delay

This is only for the pilot though as far as I am aware and should the government implement it later in 2010 then it may be for all children. I think it has yet to be decided.

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

funding for 2 year olds

#5 Unread post by sheeina » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 pm

while this is fab for the people who can meet the criteria it does annoy me that once again the working class family dont get any help.

its not the parents that suffer its the kids.

sorry but as i say is fab for those who get benefit i wish george did in a way he doesnt start till he is 2half. only another year lol.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm

A few people I now have been offered places for their children, I understand why they have been offered them, and the parents are benefiting as they are able to do courses to try and better themselves now, and not just thinking of it as time for them to put their feet up but do feel that as Sheeina espressed some places could be offered to children of parents that do not fall in this brackets, as some children would benefit the extra stimulation but the parents can't afford to offer it to them.
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm

I agree its always aimed at people on benefits that end up having more money than people who work and after paying out all that they need to.
Sorry my rant!!
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm

The working class family should get working tax credits that contribute towards the cost of childcare. I appreciate it is not much (I am one of those individuals) but thats what it is there for. Child tax credits & child benefit are all perks too that can contribute towards childcare costs.

This is only for the trial period though. If they decide to go for it then it will be the same as Age 3 funding and will be for all as far as I understand.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#9 Unread post by nubs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

The benefits are to help with ur childs needs but I didn't think these sessions Bumble has mentioned for the younger preschoolers were for 'childcare', I thought they were to help the child develop within social circles away from the parents, and to start introducing an educational environment to them.

I know I don't class Jack's nursery as childcare, and if I was to pay for him to go to preschool/playgroup etc I would be doing it for his benefit not mine - what Sheeina, Gemma and myself were getting at - is that basically our children 'at the moment' are the bottom of the bucket unless we use money - however we get it, to send them. Surely to see if this is going to work they need to offer it to a wider spectrum of child, not just the needy as they are making out x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

xJuliex

#10 Unread post by xJuliex » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

XxjacksmummyxX wrote:I agree its always aimed at people on benefits that end up having more money than people who work and after paying out all that they need to.
Sorry my rant!!
I agree with you. My hubby has to work his arse off to keep our heads above water. He works many hours overtime. On paper, his wage seems alot but once he has made tax, NI and his pension which is alot and then our hefty mortgage we really struggle. I have to pay for Cara's nursery on top of the Government funding because it is such a good nursery. Anyway, because he gets paid above the 30k or whatever it is we get no help at all. I don't think you could call Child benefit a perk seeing as rich and poor get it and as for the tax credits..they are a joke.
Julie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmxxn8N/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wmxxn8N/weight.png[/img]

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by artyfartymack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I do agree, like you Julie hubby and I are in exactly the same situation and get no help or support at all. I only say that tax credits etc are a perk as in some countries you get diddly squat and I am greatful for whatever I am given even if it is a small amount in comparison to others.

xJuliex

#12 Unread post by xJuliex » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Honestly, I find it hard to be grateful for 40 measly quid a month from a Government who have claimed thousands and thousands of pounds for themselves for gardening expenses and new Ikea kitchens. :roll: My council tax is four times that nearly. What they giveth with one hand.....
Julie

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#13 Unread post by Clairebear » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Can I just point out that not all people 'on benefits' end up with more money than all you 'hardworking' people. I for one have to scrape by on what I receive. A big chunk of mine goes on my rent so that I can have a decent roof over my children's heads and the rest goes on bills and food. I cannot afford to have my hair or nails done and I very rarely go out as I just don't have the spare money. If this really is the opinion of some of the people on here then I really don't think I can be a part of this forum any more.

xJuliex

#14 Unread post by xJuliex » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Claire, sorry if what I said sounded like a huge generalisation. Do I think all people on benefits are better off then me? Absolutely not. I imagine there are many people on benefits who struggle ALOT. I am sorry if that it is how it came across. I was talking in respect of schemes like this and help with childcare. For example, I'd love to do an OU course, simply cannot afford it. On another forum elsewhere I read that some women were getting their courses paid for them because they had an household income of less than 30k. They weren't even that grateful. I, wrongly or rightly, felt like the system is unfair where I don't get to do it but they can.
Julie

Schmushe
Blissful

#15 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Clairebear wrote:Can I just point out that not all people 'on benefits' end up with more money than all you 'hardworking' people. I for one have to scrape by on what I receive. A big chunk of mine goes on my rent so that I can have a decent roof over my children's heads and the rest goes on bills and food. I cannot afford to have my hair or nails done and I very rarely go out as I just don't have the spare money. If this really is the opinion of some of the people on here then I really don't think I can be a part of this forum any more.
I have been on both sides, so I can understand why its become a bit of a sore point with people, it is so hard to pay nursery costs, whatever the financial situation you are in, and once you have more than one child, the costs seem to escalate (especially when uniforms etc.. are needed too).
I do think it is something that the government need to look at, that funding should be provided for all 2 year olds regardless of the family situation, but you know they will always pull the 'lack of funds card'.
I agree Claire, being on benefits doesnt meant that you have spare cash around just because you get some of the nursery fees paid, and I agree it is really hard to find cash for it, my Dh works and it is our choice for me to stay at home till Alexa starts school, so we manage on one wage and even thats not alot so we very rarely have spare cash to do things too, I know we certainly would have to compromise alot if Alexa was to go into nursery now.

I dont think the post was meant to have a moan at people on benefits in general Claire, so please dont feel you need to leave the forum.

Return to “Nurseries, Creches & Childminders”