babychic

The importance of cervical cancer screening

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
weezypops
Site Guru

The importance of cervical cancer screening

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:24 pm

THE IMPORTANCE OF CERVICAL CANCER SCREENING

- JADE GOODY’S ANNIVERSARY -

As the anniversary of Essex girl Jade Goody’s death approaches (22 March 2009), NHS South East Essex is urging local women to ensure they attend regular cervical cancer screening tests (smear tests) to help protect them from cervical cancer, which could save their lives.

Estimates show that in south east Essex, women aged 25-29 are the most likely to miss their smear test. Jade’s high-profile battle with cancer initially led to a sharp rise in the number of women undergoing screening. It is hoped that women across Essex will continue this trend and regularly attend screening appointments and that young women accept the invitation of an HPV vaccine.

Margaret Gray, Associate Director for Public Health for NHS South East Essex said:

“Jade’s bravery and openness in her fight against cervical cancer helped young women everywhere to understand the importance of attending regular screening appointments.

“Regular cervical screening is the best way to identify abnormal changes in the cells of the cervix which can be monitored or treated to prevent the development of cervical cancer.

“Cervical cancer is the most preventable form of cancer – yet it is still the second biggest cause of deaths from cancer in women between the ages of 30 and 34 in the UK. A cervical smear test just takes minutes – but it could mean the difference between life and death.”

Cervical screening (smear tests) pick up abnormalities in about 200,000 women a year, and around 2,800 women a year are diagnosed with cervical cancer.

NHS South East Essex offers cervical screening to all women aged between 25 and 64. If you are registered with a GP you will get a letter when your screening appointment is due (make sure your surgery has your current address).

Women aged 25 to 49 are screened every three years.
Women aged 50 to 64 are screened every five years.
Regular cervical screening is the best way to identify abnormal changes in the cells of the cervix.

Since September 2008, NHS South East Essex has also been part of a national programme to vaccinate girls aged 12-13 against human papilloma virus (HPV). Most HPV infections are harmless or cause genital warts, however some types can cause cervical cancer.

All girls born between 1 September 1990 and 31 August 1993 registered with a GP in south east Essex, are eligible for the HPV vaccine.

For enquiries about receiving the HPV vaccine, please call the NHS South East Essex Immunisation Team on 01702 577031

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: The importance of cervical cancer screening

#2 Unread post by nubs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 pm

just had mine done and results were normal, I have had precancerous cells removed at 25 so I am very good at going x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Schmushe
Blissful

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm

My mum died of cervical cancer, and I openly admit I am nearly 29 and I have never had a smear - and as yet, dont plan to!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm

I had my first one last year. I'm glad I had it and after labour there was nothing to be worried about or concerned about or even think twice about!

Well - apart from whether or not you leave your socks on or take them off for it?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#5 Unread post by nubs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm

Schmushe wrote:My mum died of cervical cancer, and I openly admit I am nearly 29 and I have never had a smear - and as yet, dont plan to!
my nan had cervical cancer amongst others and all of my aunties have had hysterectomy's, my mum has had one but for other reasons.

its all personal choice Michelle and you have to weigh up everything, and if you choose not to then respect to you and your reasons x - I think if it hadn't been drummed into me by my mum then I would prefer not too x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by rachel jane » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I always go for my smear test its nothing compared with labour its just a bit embarassing for a second and i have a family to think about so that makes it even more important.
Jenn i know what you mean about the socks that made me laugh!x

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 pm

rachel jane wrote: and i have a family to think about so that makes it even more important.
This is the reason that I went for my first one! William is too important!

Schmushe
Blissful

#8 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Jenn wrote:
rachel jane wrote: and i have a family to think about so that makes it even more important.
This is the reason that I went for my first one! William is too important!
I am hoping this comment wasnt aimed at me directly. I understand how essential it is to have the checks, and that is fine - but I have chosen not to have it for the time being - and that is not because I dont feel my family is important - my family are my world, but it is my choice at the end of the day for personal reasons which I wont go into.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 pm

The comment wasn't aimed at you it is just how i personally feel!

Schmushe
Blissful

#10 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:07 pm

rachel jane wrote:The comment wasn't aimed at you it is just how i personally feel!
OK, just felt it was aimed my way thats all.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Not at all its your choice!

lauraannek
Expectant
Expectant

#12 Unread post by lauraannek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 pm

I am 24 with 2 children and have been refused smear tests as im not 25 although I was told by a dcotor at the hospital to have one after having William as I had some abnormal pregnancy bleeding with him but have had to wait - should be one coming through the post in the next couple of months and I will be attending it ive waited 4 years to go lol
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#13 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I too would like one, but still have to wait another 2 years as im only just about to turn 23 next week. I dont like the thought of it, but i do like the thought of seeing my children grow up which far outweighs a little discomfort for me.
I think if they arent going to lower the age of screening, then they should at least make it available for those who have given birth before the age of 25.
ImageImage
ImageImage

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#14 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:14 pm

This is so silly now as i had one befoe i was 25 a couple of years ago actually or even more, now they say 25, just nor fair for people that really want to get one for their peace of mind etc.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Return to “Medical”