babychic

Bipolar Disorder

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Bipolar Disorder

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience or knowledge on Bipolar Disorder.

As most of you know, mental health issues are rather common within my family, and it's never really phased me too much as I have always been the one to help people deal with it. But I am really worried at the moment.

Again, as most of you know, my sister Shell has had a really tough time of it lately and suffers with depression quite badly. I've been keeping an eye on her behaviour (as I do with my mum and other sisters too due to liking to have an awareness to their shifts in mood and therefore being able to predict and deal with each episode) and for a while now, I have been suspecting something like Manic Depression or Bipolar Disorder due to her erratic behaviour (my mum also suffers).

She goes through stages of extreme depression that last for weeks on end, which usually involves severe anxiety attacks, sleeping problems, lack of appetite, intense mood swings, inability to communicate with people, paranoia, seeing/hearing things (for example, her fiancee who died last year), feeling unwanted, self-doubt, and fairly recently, self-harm). She gets 'breaks' of 'normality' occassionally, but she tends to spend most of her time in the depression.
But saying that, she also has odd stages of hyperactivity, almost as though she were on drugs (which she isn't). She will be ecstatically happy (though rather irritable), full of energy, proud, full of ideas of things she can do (you know she's in one of these stages because she rings with all these suggestions of how she can make something of herself), but she also gets quite 'out of control' too, in that she'll spend too much money or she'll become quite promiscuous, even though she is in a loving relationship.

So I had my suspicions, but this evening she worried me as she called me in the middle of one of her anxiety attacks (as she oftens does as I can calm her down over the phone), and she was crying and screaming down the phone and could hardly breathe. It took me nearly an hour to calm her down enough to talk, and well, I was crying my eyes out by the end of the call. She was saying about how depressed she is and that she can' cope, and wants to really hurt herself, and she can't control the urge to do so. Her anti-dpressants aren't working properly, and she's struggling coping each day with her life. That she's not happy at work or at home and that she's looking at loosing both her house-share and her job due to her swings. She's very paranoid about everything and everyone, and she is now saying that she thinks she needs to get sectioned, even though she really doesn't want to.

She also said about the fact that I moved away, and that I was her only support system, so to speak, and now that I was gone that she just couldn't deal with it anymore. This really upset me, as I have always been there for my sisters and my mum, always been there to pick up the pieces and help them to get on after a particularly bad episode, so what she is saying is kind of true, which made it so much harder to hear. Since I moved, I haven't been able to drop everything and run to them in the same way that I had before, and I can imagine that that is pretty difficult. :(

Well anyway, I am booking her in to see her doctor on Wednesday, and I am going to push for them to start testing and looking into the possibility of Bipolar Disorder, and other such mental health rpoblems, and also to see about having her referred to a psychiatrist and possibly getting her signed off work. I am also going to look into getting her into some form of sheltered housing so that she has a suuport network there too.

I really am so worried about her :(

Sorry for the really long post...
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Bipolar Disorder

#2 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 am

Oh hun i hope it all gets sorted, you seem like a fab sister so with you by her side i'm sure everything will get dealt with in the right way. That will be good you going with her to see the doctor so they can get someone elses opinion of your sister and not just fob her off, but i guess if it runs in the family they won't fob you off. I hope it all gets sorted and try not to worry about her too much and i'm sure she didn't mean to make you feel bad for moving she was probably just having a bad moment and felt like you were too far away. I'm sure she realises you have your own life to run!xx

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:36 am

Good luck for Wednesday -x-

I know a few people with bipolar disorder although I have no experience of actually being there for the diagnosis or the early stages.

I know it can be a very difficult time and can take a very long time. Sending you a hug and hoping your doctor is nice.

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 am

God, I'm so sorry Lea, what a lot to be going through. I don't know anyone with bipolar myself but I do think that sectioning might not be such a bad idea. I know it sounds horrible but if she is a danger to herself then it's best for her to be somewhere she can be supervised at all times and get the help she needs.

lemonie17
Player
Player

#5 Unread post by lemonie17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 am

try not to take it to heart Lea. I am sure that if she was thinking straight she would realise you have to put you and Charli first. You do have to live your life.
Thatsaid, maybe sectioning would be good, at least she would be properly assessed and get the help you so badly needs. She may be able to pretend she's ok with a dr, but 24/7 no one can keep it up.
Also it would be good for you to get some support. Once she's been diagnosed, you can get help and support on how to best help her, if that makes sense?

Ring if you need to let off steam..you know where i am!
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/lemonie17/summerfunsiggy.jpg[/img]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#6 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

xxx Lotsa love Lea, good luck hun xx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#7 Unread post by lea-marie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am

Thank guys...

Have got her a doctors appointment on Wednesday at 11am, and also an appointment with Braintree Council at 2pm the same day about sheltered accomodation for her.

Hopefully we can get her on the right track soon!

Brettsgirl
Bootie-licious

#8 Unread post by Brettsgirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am

((hugs))

I hope the doctor that she sees is able to help her Lea. Good luck.
Image ImageImage

Jeanette
The Nanny

#9 Unread post by Jeanette » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm

I have known a couple of people with bipolar disorder and she does sound like she needs some medical intervention. I'm not sure if it can be cured or is just managed with medication. Lets hope the doctor can start the ball rolling. You can't do this on your own Lea it will be too much, but having you with her at the doctors will help to make sure he gets the proper picture.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#10 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Oh i am so sorry your sister, and you are going through this. I cant imagine running my own family and having to help someone through severe depression. You really are super mum and sis!

I agree with Louise and Mel though, sectioning may be a good thing for her, and its great she is recognising that there is a problem to even mention it off her own back. Being sectioned sounds so awful, but it does help.

I dont have any experience of it myself, but i dont know if you saw, but OH dealt with a lady at work who was threatening to commit suicide? Well there is a long story behind it to do with having her daughter taken off her because of an abusive ex. She had a court hearing that day to decide whether she will be allowed her daughter back, but the night before her ex found her and beat her up again. He even followed her to the station where OH works. OH called the police and whilst they kept the ex at bay, she was talking to OH. She broke down because it had made her late for this appointment, and she was convinced she'd lose her daughter and she threatened to commit suicide. She pleaded with him not to say anything, but when other police turned up for her, he pulled one aside and said he believed she needed to be sectioned for her own, and others safety and told them what she had said. They did end up sectioning her.
I know this isnt the same form of depression, but this lady came back into OHs station a few weeks later to see him and she said she couldnt thank him enough. She said he helped hugely with what he said to her, and that being sectioned also helped greatly. Shes back on the straight and narrow, still with the chance of getting her daughter back.

Good luck with the doctors and the council and i hope it helps without having to go down the route of sectioning, but just remember, its not such a bad thing if it does have to happen, and she will thank you in the long run. xx
ImageImage
ImageImage

Schmushe
Blissful

#11 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:33 pm

I have experience of it, but not through a family member or friend.
My neighbour is bipolar and she has been a nightmare (from a neighbour point of view) - not to worry you but just to make you aware of some of the things we have had to deal with.
She locked herself in a wardrobe and set fire to the flat. She has numerous men at her place (so isnt aware its not right) - takes drugs and drinks heavily. She is hardly aware of her surroundings, plays music loudly and doesnt have a concept of being 'in trouble'. She is happy to sit in the dark, dirty surroundings and breaks windows cause her memory is rubbish and then sits in the freezing cold!!! She often gets sectioned, and then when she is back she is the same cause she doesnt have anyone to make her take her meds and support her.
Like I said thats only my experience with a lady with Bipolar, and I know theres different stages of it, so the symptoms can change - guess it also depends on how much / what support and meds you are on.

It is a full time thing Lea, so make sure you get lots of support if you need it. Its a condition where you rarely get any thanks or gratitude and often find they resent you for doing things.

kerrib
Toddler
Toddler

#12 Unread post by kerrib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:55 pm

my sister has bipolar.
she has been seticion more than once it all started when she was about 11 but the signs were there way before then. she was first sectioned when she was 13 she was in and out of units till she was 18. Thankfully she is doing pretty well at the moment but we are always on the look out for changes in her, she still has her bad days but she has learnt how to cope with them now.
when my sister is on a high she will talk ten to the dozen, cant sit still, never used to really sleep at all and it was like she was on something.
when she was on a down she didnt leave the house and sometime wouldnt even get out of bed, she would cry for hours, screaming and shouting at evryone and anyone and was very hard to calm down, she also self-harmed and tried to kill her self more times than i can remember.
as much it was hard when she was sectioned, it was the best thing my mum did, as i feel if she hadnt of been section she would not be here today living with her boyfriend and pregnant with her first child.
she is and will be on medication for the rest of her life as it is the medication that helps to stable her mood
it does sound like your sister need medical help i cant say if it is or isnt bipolar by she does have some of the signs.
hope this help and your sister gets the help she needs and can start to feel better
EssexMums Reading Challenge 408/20,100 pages read
Currently reading: Damaged
read so far this year: Daddys little earner.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#13 Unread post by lea-marie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 am

Well yesterday we went to see that doctor and the council...

We had a big to-do in the doctors when we got there, as she decided that she actually didn't need the help and wanted to leave - this resulted in a huge anxiety attack (and a bruised arm for me), but when I finally got her calm, she seemed to just give up and went in, so long as I went in with her (which I had planned to do anyway).

The doctor was really good, as as she had seen him before, he was aware of her previous medical history which helped. He listened to everything we both said, and checked her over. He has said that he believes it to be Bipolar Disorder too. He is going to start the assessments, has changed her medication to suit her needs more, has referred her to a psychiatrist and the Crisis Team and wants to see her again in two weeks. She came out feeling a little more positive, which was good.

Then we went to the council, and the lady we saw there was absolutely lovely. She was really helpful, and has put Shell forward for supported accomodation, or else, failing that, then allowing her to live independantly, but with a support package, which means she'll still have somene to keep an eye on her when she needs it etc.

I feel that the day was productive, but I guess time will tell now...

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#14 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Ahh hun glad things went ok. I hope things get better for you all real soon. xx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#15 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm

It sounds like you got a lot achieved. Is your sister happy with the outcome?

Return to “Medical”