babychic

What do you think?

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

What do you think?

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:12 pm

This is something that I am worrying about in regards to Charli, and I have an idea of what it seems to be, but wondered what you ladies thought too...

For the last few months, I have been having to encourage Charli to use deodorant, as she has been getting body odour under her arms. She washes every day and has a bath every other night, so I know it's not due to being unclean, but the odour has been rather strong on quite a few occassions. I didn't really think too much of this, as she's always been a hot child, so thought it could be linked to that.

A couple of weeks ago, Charli mentioned that her chest was sore when she touched it, especially around her nipples. If I'm honest, I didn't really think too much into it and passed it off as just a general ache/pain.

Last week, Charli also complained of being 'itchy' in her knickers. I checked her over, but there was no sign of a rash or anything, so I just put it down to not wiping properly.

Now all these things seperately didn't make me think too much about it and I was able to pass each bit off, but then she mentioned something jokingly the other day, and it kind of clicked something in my head.

She's been very irritable lately, with being happy, then grumpy, then in tears to being happy again in very short spaces of time, which again, I put down to changes at school etc. But the other day, she joked saying that she thought she was going though 'the changes that 13 year old girls go through, but early'. When she said it, I just replied that she didn't have the right hormones for that yet and we laughed. But later, on reflection, it all seemed to click into place.

What do you ladies think?
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:21 pm

You have said before she is very able and clever - this is a sign of her independance. Although she is still very young!

I had a friend at school who got her first 'aunt flo' at the age of 8 - she was very tall tho (taller than our teacher). I remember this being a shock to the members of staff and the school nurse.

Is it possible that she has heard/read about the symptoms and wants to be older? to be like mum?

Not much help I'm afraid - sorry!

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:26 pm

I would think that it might be the sort of build up to puberty rather than puberty itself, but you never know. Poor Charli, it would be awful to go through it all so early.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#4 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Jenn wrote:You have said before she is very able and clever - this is a sign of her independance. Although she is still very young!

I had a friend at school who got her first 'aunt flo' at the age of 8 - she was very tall tho (taller than our teacher). I remember this being a shock to the members of staff and the school nurse.

Is it possible that she has heard/read about the symptoms and wants to be older? to be like mum?

Not much help I'm afraid - sorry!
I had wondered that, but although she's very clever, I don't think she'd really think about each individual 'sign' or the spacing them out to be honest!

I have looked it up, and it can start from as early as 4 years old (Charli's turning 6 in a couple of weeks), though is quite rare.

Apparently I had a period at the age of 7 and had it stopped with hormones, though I don't know if it's linked at all.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#5 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

weezypops wrote:I would think that it might be the sort of build up to puberty rather than puberty itself, but you never know. Poor Charli, it would be awful to go through it all so early.
Yes, what I read said that it could take a few years for puberty to hit a peak, but can start at 4. It's called Prococious Puberty.

Schmushe
Blissful

#6 Unread post by Schmushe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Lea - if it was mI would get a GP appointment, maybe she needs to be seen by a paediatritian who can check her over, it may be a simple case of her watching something or hearing something and then adding 2 and 2 together, she is a very bright girl so wouldnt be uncommon.
I had a brief look online, and body odour can be caused by a metabollic disorder. The advice for it is to have a appointment with GP but not bath her or let her wear deoderant etc.. so they can smell for themselves. It is quite odd to have a 5 yr old that needs deoderant iykwim...
The other advice is, to look at her diet, and cut things out and then see if there are any changes (this is probably what you'd be asked to do by paed anyway so would be easier to have it all written down ) - cows milk is one that causes body odour in children, so reduce it or change to organic temporarily.
I really wouldnt know what to say...I can see where your coming from and most sites I have looked on said puperty can happen from 7 onwards especially if the child is mature...so I guess as Charli is developmentally mature, it cant be ruled out.
As for the itchy areas - could it be a change of powder? Soap? irritation? rash? .......????
I think a trip to the GP is in order..

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I think when a girl's Mum started puberty does have a big impact on when she starts actually, so if you were really early I wouldn't be surprised if she is too.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#8 Unread post by lea-marie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Schmushe wrote:Lea - if it was mI would get a GP appointment, maybe she needs to be seen by a paediatritian who can check her over, it may be a simple case of her watching something or hearing something and then adding 2 and 2 together, she is a very bright girl so wouldnt be uncommon.
I had a brief look online, and body odour can be caused by a metabollic disorder. The advice for it is to have a appointment with GP but not bath her or let her wear deoderant etc.. so they can smell for themselves. It is quite odd to have a 5 yr old that needs deoderant iykwim...
The other advice is, to look at her diet, and cut things out and then see if there are any changes (this is probably what you'd be asked to do by paed anyway so would be easier to have it all written down ) - cows milk is one that causes body odour in children, so reduce it or change to organic temporarily.
I really wouldnt know what to say...I can see where your coming from and most sites I have looked on said puperty can happen from 7 onwards especially if the child is mature...so I guess as Charli is developmentally mature, it cant be ruled out.
As for the itchy areas - could it be a change of powder? Soap? irritation? rash? .......????
I think a trip to the GP is in order..
I have an appointment for later in the week with the nurse, so hopefully she'll be able to shed some light on it.

I have thought of the diet and been changing it slightly each week since she started having the body odour, cutting out milk, carbs, fruits and veg, but nothing seems to be having much of an effect. I had also read that, so thought it best to try it too.

I haven't changed any of the products I use, so that can't be causing the irritation, unless she's only just built up an intolerance? I know that can happen...

Just seemed strange that all the signs have popped up around the same time. And Charli's not really a child that seek's attention, so I'm not sure I can get my head around her making it up, though I wouldn't rule it out completely of course! I guess that's easier to get my head around than my 5 year old starting to go through puberty :?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#9 Unread post by nubs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:49 pm

My friends sister was around 9 when she started her periods, we were on girls brigade camp at the time and they made her older sister buy sanitary pads out of her spending money

Maybe she is budding as they call it - if she generally hot maybe thats whats causing her to be itchy x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:04 pm

lea-angel wrote: Yes, what I read said that it could take a few years for puberty to hit a peak, but can start at 4. It's called Prococious Puberty.
Ooh - there was a tv programme all about this that I watched - it was a few weeks ago (maybe even months!) I remember now! I think female stuff is hereditry and therefore if you had one early therefore Charli could easily start early too! I know girls often go through the menopause at the same age that their mum did! Hope the nurse can help!

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#11 Unread post by lea-marie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 am

Charli has an appointment with our doctor this afternoon to discuss hormone tests and referrals to an pediatric endocrinologist (?).

The school rang me yesterday to discuss it, as they said she had complained of her chest being very tender if anything touched it, and when the teacher checked to see if she was ok, they said they could smell her body odour, and advised me to get her checked up, which of course, is already happening. So now even the school have concerns on it too...

Schmushe
Blissful

#12 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 am

Hope it all goes well Lea.

Get her really smelly and then the dr will be able to smell it too, otherwise you might get fobbed off!!

lol

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#13 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 am

Aww hope all goes well huns x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#14 Unread post by lea-marie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:43 am

Schmushe wrote:Hope it all goes well Lea.

Get her really smelly and then the dr will be able to smell it too, otherwise you might get fobbed off!!

lol
Funny you should say that but I didn't put deodorant on her this morning and told her to run around lots :lol: lol

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#15 Unread post by artyfartymack » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 pm

good luck hun, hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted

Return to “Medical”