babychic

IUDs

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
weezypops
Site Guru

IUDs

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Anyone have one? My doctor suggested it as contraception and I'm thinking about it.

I've never really liked the idea of having something inside, but I do like the lack of hormones, and the fact that we won't have to use condoms - we are terrible at using them reliably and I really don't want to get pregnant any time soon!

Any opinions? Pros and cons?

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:19 pm

personally I dont like the idea of them floating about inside and I know quite a few people who have lost them!

Have you looked at the implanon? Although it hurts and bruises on insertion apparently it's really good. Not sure if you have it when breastfeeding though. Or there are pills you can take whilst breastfeeding.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry just re-read your post and saw the 'No hormones' bit ignore me LOL!

keeley
Tween
Tween

#4 Unread post by keeley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:25 pm

I had a Mirena coil, it does have the same hormones as the pill but in far smaller quantities because of where its positioned.

I really liked it, didnt find it uncomfortable to have put in and it stopped my periods completely. Only downside - OH could feel it during sex. Apparently that is quite rare to happen though, I have quite a low cervix (I blame Eabha for being so big, so overdue, and engaged for atleast 8 weeks!) so thats probably why.

I had it taken out and the implanon implant put in instead. Again its the same hormones as the pill but in a smaller quantity (but more than in the Mirena). It didnt bother me having it put in because they give you local aesthetic. It stopped my periods till this month (month 7) and they have come back again :( which is annoying but not the end of the world!

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#5 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 pm

keeley wrote:I had a Mirena coil, it does have the same hormones as the pill but in far smaller quantities because of where its positioned.

I really liked it, didnt find it uncomfortable to have put in and it stopped my periods completely. Only downside - OH could feel it during sex. Apparently that is quite rare to happen though, I have quite a low cervix (I blame Eabha for being so big, so overdue, and engaged for atleast 8 weeks!) so thats probably why.
I apologise in advance for any 'TMI' in this response!

I currently have the Mirena, and I have to say that I HATE IT with a passion! The only reason that I haven't had it removed is that it's the only thing I've tried that works as a contraceptive for me, but other than that, I really do hate it.

I've had it in for about 18 months now - I was told at the hospital that it would stop my periods, or make them ridiculously light at the very least, but no... My periods are now more ridulous than they've ever been! I now bleed very heavily for between 11-16 days, have about the same time with no period, then it's back again! It also has twice in those 18 months decided that let me go up to 7-8 weeks without a period - which led me to believe I may have been pregnant, but wasn't - easily mistake to make when you're basically bleeding for a fortnight, every other fortnight!

Also, like Keeley, it can be felt internally... There are two string bits that 'hang' from your cervix, and these can most definately be felt during any form of intimacy!! Although the novelty has worn off now, it did ruin the mood slightly everytime Paul felt it and giggled :? lol

I suffer with cramping too, worse than period pains I was used to before I had the Mirena fitted.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, going by my own personal experiences, but then, I also know people who have loved it and couldn't recommend it more...

I guess it's one of those 'different things suit different people' type things!
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

tammyb
Student
Student

#6 Unread post by tammyb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree with lea-angel, as had the same problems when i had mine fitted, although it was a few yrs ago now.
I had it removed after about 18months and the cramps that i suffered used to double me over.
All i would say is give it a go as you can always ask for it to be removed.

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks everyone. Lots to think about!

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#8 Unread post by Clairebear » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:22 am

I have the Mirena and have not had any problems with it at all. Like Lea said, apologies for TMI (lol) but I used to have really heavy periods, painful cramps, back pain and pain at the top of my legs but it all stopped completely when I had the coil fitted. I have had it for three years now and will not hesitate to have another one when it needs replacing. I guess each to their own and you sometimes have to try a few methods before you find the one that is right for you. Good luck!

lemonie17
Player
Player

#9 Unread post by lemonie17 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 am

i had this mirena fitted nearly 3 years ago, and aside form sever cramps after it was fitted for a few days, its fantastic, wish i'd had it years ago. oh could feel it for a while, but doesnt notice it now. on my experience i would highly recommend it.
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/lemonie17/summerfunsiggy.jpg[/img]

Return to “Medical”