babychic

Special needs, high school, single mum, help!!!

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
kayting23
Newborn
Newborn

Special needs, high school, single mum, help!!!

#1 Unread post by kayting23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I am absolutely stressed and anxiety is through the roof and I am so desperate for some advice and help from anyone please! My son has global developmental delay so he's not at the same ability as his peers basically, he is in year 5. I'm being nagged by the school to act now and get him into high school and they've suddenly decided to bombard me and tell me that the only school they think he should go to is marketfields in elmstead because he will struggle in mainstream. now I live and work in Clacton, im single and I do not drive and I do not think that my son will be able to be left alone to sort himself out for school and get himself home I have no one who can help. I really don't know how I can keep my job and get my daughter whos still in primary to school whilst waiting for a bus or a taxi to take my son to and from school I just don't know what to do im so frustrated and crying over it because I genuinely don't know what to do I get very erratic just thinking about it, has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation and how on earth did you do it?! please if anyone can help I would really appreciate it I do not want to give up my job :(

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Special needs, high school, single mum, help!!!

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm afraid I have no advice but hope someone can help you. I just wanted to say it sounds like a really hard situation. Do you think the school are right or do you think he would be better in a mainstream school?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:39 am

Hi ya

Most schools which take young people with additional needs do offer a bus service which can collect your child from your house and return them and will ensure they get in. If I were you then I would find out if this is possible and arrange a tour of the school to see if it is right for you and your son.

Both my children had places at special needs school for primary level and after viewing both schools - I decided that mainstream would be the better choice! FOr many reasons - the transport, the time it would take driving there every day and having to put the other child in childcare to get to their school and mainly I didn't feel the school was right for my child - and both my children have thrived in mainstream. - I just feel that you might go to the school they recommend and hate it and therefore you will know immediately that it's not right for you and you can cross it off your list and stay local. ( I spent weeks worrying over what to do and wish I had just gone to view the school first)

So does your son have an IEP (or whatever they are called now) and is it the SENCO getting you to think ahead? Do you have any links to outside of school agencies for your son's development?

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi, a couple of people posted on the facebook page:

Helen Tillinghast It wouldnt let me register the stupid towns in essex bit is unmovable! But i agree with the above lady and from my experience the special school would be better for him in the current educational climate. He would get more support and better opportunities for development. I would suggest she speaks to LEA about transport as with being a vulnerable learner there may be opportunities for funded transport IF he is considered vulnerable. Transport for SEN students usually artives at house before 8am and would arrive back past 330. There could be arrangements made to support her and him. I understand her need to support her family but ipsea may be also able to help.

Jenna Gomez
Jenna Gomez Hi im not a member on the website but just read the post. I am a special needs teacher and I'm not sure of the answer however if the son is going to go to a special school and be entitled to transport, I'm guessing he will have an EHC plan at some point and thus a social worker. There might be a possibility of the mum getting direct payments which could pay for a carer a couple of hours each morning before school or maybe the taxi could come at a more convenient time I.e be first or last pick up. If not ring the school the son will b going to and the head teacher should help or give more advice. I hope it gets sorted xx

Return to “Schools”