babychic

Curriculum and assessment changes

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
Schmushe
Blissful

Curriculum and assessment changes

#1 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:08 pm

I went to school the other day to learn how they have implemented the new curriculum and assessment changes and I'm still in two minds about how it will work long term.
I can see the positive side of the curriculum that instead of stretching kids upwards just because they have achieved something, they are now expanding the knowledge so it's firmly implanted in their brains and is better for recall years later if they have done something numerous times in numerous ways.
I don't like however the assessment works and introducing all this begin / within thing is only going to confuse parents. I think getting rid of the 'levels' won't allow parents to see progress / lack of progress. Maybe it's because I've had levels for many years and don't like change. Lol.

What do you think about it? Our school started the new way in September but we are aware some schools haven't made changes as yet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... update.pdf

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Curriculum and assessment changes

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Our school haven't said anything about this and are still giving out levels. They tend to do a very rounded approach to subjects at Chalkwell anyway and don't rush kids off ahead if they are doing well, they focus on enhancing what they are doing so that sounds like it won't be that different to what they already do.

So how will they measure progress? Just in relation to how they have progressed themselves rather than against others? I can see how that might help with them not feeling like they are behind etc. but it doesn't seem very 'real world' as people are always assessed in comparison to others.

Schmushe
Blissful

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Our school has never put someone ahead if they weren't capable but the new way by the sounds will keep everyone doing the same thing but challenging those who can and supporting those who can't. So in that respect it's brill.
So eg if a child knew their 2 5 and 8 times tables instead of giving them the 9 and 6 times tables it would be extending knowledge and can they teach others, can it be used in a different way, can they do a report on it etc.
Schools now have a 'book' which shows what children should know by the end of that year and they don't do the next years work until they're in it. (Does that make sense).

As for assessment they are getting rid of the levels and it'll be split into 3 and them sub divided again (so like levels) but it'll indicate which term (so first term would be beginning and then if they were progressing well it would be beginning plus) - no other indication apart from what's written in the report.

I can see the positives tbh. They did say depending on who wins the election it may all change again lol.

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:19 pm

To be honest I am skeptical of anything put forward by Gove as he is so totally clueless and demeaning about teachers. Curriculum changes just mean more work for the already overworked staff and confusion for children and parents. I wish they would just leave them to actually teach!

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Totally agree. Schools round here have taken about a year to put it in place so it was up and running. Years 2 and 6 won't change this year due to SATs but will as of next year.
Other changes are longer hours of English maths and science and less of others such as re and geography etc.

Return to “Schools”