babychic

Children's University

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
weezypops
Site Guru

Children's University

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Do any of your kids' schools do this? It was mentioned in the juniors earlier this year but Felix didn't pick up his 'passport' and I forgot. Is it worth doing?

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Children's University

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:38 pm

We do it. Alexa has clocked up tons of hours since starting in sept.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 am

But what does it lead towards? I get how they can get the points but what is the... well, point?!

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

The more hours you do in activities registered for children's university such as brownies / beavers etc you then work towards getting certificates. If you look in the front of the book it says what each amount of hours equals. Then at the end of the year you get a ceremony and relevant certificate. Cap and gown and everything. It's to encourage extra curricular activities and doing more than sitting at home watching tv. Lol.
They do it from years 3-6. Not sure about 7 - it's linked partly to the duke of Edinburgh scheme.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:53 pm

They do it from reception in our school. My Rainbows don't stamp the book I did ask but no one got back to me. I don't see the point unless your children aren't active and I guess it's a way of getting them doing things. Where does Alexa go to get it stamped?

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:50 am

I guess I feel the same way as you Rachel - mine have the particular clubs that they like going to and I don't really want them to do more unless they want to, not because they feel they should. And we visit a lot of places too. I don't see anything wrong with doing it, just didn't really see why we might want to. The ceremony sounds like it might be fun for them though!

Schmushe
Blissful

#7 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:38 pm

She gets hers from ballet and brownies. The amount of ballet she did last year has clocked up quite a lot. I don't make her go anywhere it's just an added bonus to the things she already does.
She's getting her 1st certificate soon. I'll have a look at her book this weekend to see how many hours she's got so far.

Return to “Schools”