babychic

School Choices - 2nd and 3rd Options

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
weezypops
Site Guru

School Choices - 2nd and 3rd Options

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Does what you put in your second or third choice on your school application forms affect how your first one is looked at?

Obviously we want Iris to go to Chalkwell. There's no reason to think she wouldn't get a place as she is a sibling in catchment, but I'm not sure what to put down as the second and third choices. With Felix we put Westborough and Earls Hall, but if she didn't get a place at Chalkwell, they would just be too far away in the wrong direction to do both school runs. So I'm thinking we put North Street in number 2 and Darlinghurst in number 3. Darlinghurst is really undersubscribed though, so I was wondering, is there any chance they would give you your third choice just to make up their numbers, rather than you get the first choice oversubscribed school, or is the fact she is a catchment sibling enough to ensure her a place?

Hope this makes some sense - not sure how to describe it!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: School Choices - 2nd and 3rd Options

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Are you in Chalkwell catchment?

If yes then the fact that you also have a sibling there should mean she gets a place!

We only put 2 choices for William. And both were very over subscribed schools but we were in the catchment for one.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, she's in catchment and as a sibling should get priority so I know I'm over-worrying. I think it's because last year it was one of the most oversubscribed schools in the area and we are literally the last road in catchment so I worry that would make a difference.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:22 pm

I know a lady who brings her children to Hamstel from Leigh. She got a place for her second child because of the older sibling but a friend I know who lives on Bournemouth Park Road (15 min walk away) didn't get a place - so i think sibling there is a big thing.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I think its getting worse.
Im not sure if you no who I mean Lou but my friend Nikki who I met when Jack was at preschool, now works at the preschool itself has Toby in Year 2 and he has a lil brother called Theo? Toby went to Chalkwell no problem and Theo didnt get a place and was allocated Darlinghurst. Rediculous how they expect 2 different places!! They live right near the school too, just crazy x

My friends sister had the same problem oldest goes to Chalkwell and the youngest was allocated Darlinghurst.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Were they in catchment Gemma? I know that because Darlinghurst and Chalkwell are so close together, the catchment for Darlinghurst is actually right opposite Chalkwell - so you can live opposite the school but not be in catchment!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 pm

What did you do in the end Louise? See on /bk you sent it in?

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

We put North St second and Darlinghurst third. You can still change the forms until the closing date but I think that's the best we're going to get it - the others are just too far.

Schmushe
Blissful

#9 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I know quite a few ho didn't get into schools even though they had siblings there and we're in the catchment. It doesn't happen very often though so you should be ok but schools are getting more and more admissions. (I blame certain books people keep reading lol).

Scary to think Iris and Sam will be at school next year.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#10 Unread post by nubs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:31 pm

I put eastwood and then heycroft but I also have to filll one out for rochford as its a different local authority - should get first choice as Its under subscribed
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#11 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 pm

we were told if have a sibling no guaranteed place, Alex school we are catchment, but was so overscribed this year they had to build a new class room, and i need to get two in......
Leanne and children xxxx

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Ive never known or heard of anyone who didn't get a place in their catchment school and with siblings there. What schools were they Michelle?
Ive got to do it next year for Gus and we are out of catchment and i won't have any in infant as Ted moves up to juniors!!!

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

#13 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Louise,

Although having a sibling at the school is no guarantee, you are as safe as you can be for a place. When deciding on places priority goes firstly to 'looked after children' (those in care), then those with sibling at the school and in catchment, followed by catchment and those out of area with siblings at the school. Which schools you put as second and third doesn't have an effect. The only thing you have to consider is that for your second choice, there will be lots of parents who put that school as their first. All this said it is highly, highly unlikely that Iris won't get a place there.

KJ xx

Essex Mums Book Challenge 8/25
Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R R Martin

Return to “Schools”