babychic

The School I'd Like: here is what you wanted

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
weezypops
Site Guru

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... would-like

What makes the ideal school? After entries from all over the country, Dea Birkett reveals the Children's Manifesto of ideas, from comfy beanbags to soothing music and pets

In January we launched the School I'd Like, asking schoolchildren what would make their perfect school. Hundreds of young people let us know in emails, essays, poems and pictures. From these ideas, we've compiled the Children's Manifesto for the school we'd like, overseen and edited by a panel of 10 children. Some of the ideas are blue-sky thinking: horses and sheep in playgrounds may never be the norm. But many are small and easy to implement. First-aid lessons, a choice of uniform and music instead of bells at break time involve little cost or effort.

Behind these specific, modest requests lie big ideas. The most important aspect of education children want changed is the timetable. They wanted their educational experience to be tailored to them. Sausage-machine schooling, with a one-size-fits-all schedule, is their biggest complaint. They don't want to do less work (although Friday afternoons off was a popular request). They just want work that enthuses and means something to them.

About half the entries were from individual children; the rest were coordinated by teachers. Malorees infant school, London, asked their school council members, aged four to seven, to speak to their classes to find out what their perfect school would be like. The year 4 teacher at St Peter's Church of England primary in West Sussex, a small rural school, said: "Our pupils are actively involved in various aspects of school life. However, they were very excited at the prospect of having their voice heard by a wider audience." The only doubts about the project came from grown-ups. "Should we expect children to be able to think strategically about 'what is best for society' rather than 'what I quite fancy'? No, of course not," wrote one irate parent.

There's some truth in this; a few children asked for chocolate fountains and popcorn counters. But strategic thinking lies behind many of their suggestions. Imogen Jagathesan, aged nine, thought it would be a good idea to have cookery lessons, but not just to bake cakes. "It means you may be able to cook healthy food. If grown-ups keep buying junk food for their children, the government will be paying out lots of money because they will get ill when they are older," she explained. This degree of forward thinking was surprising; most entries were from primary pupils. Secondary pupils' concerns were similar, but the older they were, the more they wanted to bring an end to same-sex schools, streaming and segregation.

There was a similar strength of feeling around inclusion for all 10 years ago, when this paper ran an earlier School I'd Like. (The Observer had run a 1967 competition under the same title.) In 2001, the built environment was also paramount in pupils' concerns, with comfort at its core. Feeling comfortable is still important, with endless pleas for beanbags. But there are major differences over the last decade. In 2001, the most advanced technology requested was a laptop. Now an iPad is the most sought-after item. Behind these Christmas-list demands are sound educational aims. "With your homework on the iPad you can do it in the car, on the train, or at home," wrote Thomas Williams, 10. Thomas Yardley suggested: "Children could have MP3 players so it would be soothing when you are working. I think it is a good idea because it would stop people distracting each other."

There's a practical streak running throughout the submissions, with a keen sense of value for money and budgetary restrictions virtually absent 10 years ago. "I would like our schools to have free choice in what we buy. In assembly we could have a vote on what we would like and what we do not want, only if it is within the school budget," wrote 12-year-old Sam Gritt. Many children thought of the commercial opportunities in their classroom. The year 6 writing club at Burdett-Coutts and Townshend primary wanted a book club and gift shop, stocked with things they'd made themselves. "Every class should have a cow so they can sell the milk from the cow and improve the school," wrote Joshua Kennedy, 11.

In 2001, before the launch of Jamie Oliver's school dinners campaign, the most desired meal was chips and pizza. Now it has a far more international flavour, with Asian food particularly popular. And as canteens close, almost every entry asked for the return of hot school dinners.

Some children wrote in to say their school was near-perfect (although this was nearly always as part of a school-led project). It's clear that schoolchildren are increasingly being listened to. Many let us know about their school councils, although as many said they were tokenistic and had no real power. But there were examples of young people's real influence. "They do ask what we'd like sometimes. When we were getting a new teacher, we had a lesson from three teachers and we were asked which one we liked the best. They did choose her, so they listened to us," reported Hannah Stott, 10.

Young people now declare they have rights – an argument they didn't put in 2001. "The children of the modern day are getting more and more rights such as having the right to say their opinion, and this is mine," began Joshua Kennedy, before saying that "you should be allowed to say what you think to the teacher without being criticised or given a detention". Those who fear a breakdown of adult authority wouldn't be heartened by the children's ideas. Many said they shouldn't have to call their teachers Miss, Mrs and Mr if they get called by their first names. "Children would be equal to the teachers and opinions would be listened to by everyone," wrote Rachel Dengate, 12.

What will we do with this wealth of ideas? When The School I'd Like was launched earlier this year, we didn't only ask for ideas. We promised to listen to them. After all, this is still one of the largest informal surveys of children's attitudes towards schooling ever conducted in this country. We will now present the Children's Manifesto to opinion formers, asking for their feedback. Who knows, perhaps we will end up with horses and sheep in the playground after all.

• Find out more about The School I'd Like from http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/ser ... would-like

Return to “Schools”